New Players...

Vinnyjag

Meekings would have been good if we hadn't landed Keown, but I'd rather have someone naturally left sided if possible.

Am I the only one who thinks that Sammon could have done a job ? He is the sort of target man that perhaps we are missing (although as said, we don't need a 4th out and out striker)

Meekings would have been good if we hadn't landed Keown, but I'd rather have someone naturally left sided if possible.

Am I the only one who thinks that Sammon could have done a job ?

Good point about Meekings. And yes, I think you might well be the only one to think Sammon would be good signing. He's looked dreadful anytime I've seen him of late. Clearly not up to parr.

• Like 1

So a good season *in the Premiership*, recently. He's 26, as I said can play across the front line, and while I'm not denying he's been a flop at Rangers, I wouldn't write him off as a result of that. I think if he moves to a Premiership club he'll be a success, and if the finances are right then we should be enquiring. In my opinion.

Re: Meekings, all valid points.

Why do we not need 4 strikers? God forbid, but if anything happened to Doolan I would be very concerned. Even if Doolan was to lose form for a wee while, which does happen, can we rely on Azeez and Nisbet to come in and pick up the pieces? I would definitely have Sammon, he kept Killie out of danger last season. He reminds me of Martin Cameron from the 01/02 team for some reason

Edited by MonehJags

Why do we not need 4 strikers? God forbid, but if anything happened to Doolan I would be very concerned. Even if Doolan was to lose form for a wee while, which does happen, can we rely on Azeez and Nisbet to come in and pick up the pieces? I would definitely have Sammon, he kept Killie out of danger last season. He reminds me of Martin Cameron from the 01/02 team for some reason

It's not a question of need. It's a question of priorities on a limited budget. If we are only going to play one up front, then 3 battling for that starting place is enough. You could argue that we should be starting with 2 at home or that Azeez and/or Nisbet might not be ideal, but they are what we have and unless one or other goes then that is the Striker budget used. There are bigger priorities elsewhere and once we have another defender, and know who is going out on loan, we can then see what budget remains.

It's not a question of need. It's a question of priorities on a limited budget. If we are only going to play one up front, then 3 battling for that starting place is enough. You could argue that we should be starting with 2 at home or that Azeez and/or Nisbet might not be ideal, but they are what we have and unless one or other goes then that is the Striker budget used. There are bigger priorities elsewhere and once we have another defender, and know who is going out on loan, we can then see what budget remains.

We've played 2 up front a fair amount last season, with the 3-5-2 formation. If we're going to persist with that (which I think we should as it proved fairly successful IMO) then I'd really rather we had more than just Nisbet as cover.

I'd say a striker and a centre half are our priorities, and then if we're really, really lucky another attacking midfielder/winger.

• Like 1

I honestly believe, even if the budget's wearing thin by the time Archie gets round to looking at another striker, he could still bring in a hell of a lot better than Sammon. Failing that he could surely get hold of a player on loan with more quality.

Half agree with you on that one we should definitely be looking for a left sided centre back first and foremost but after that we have to look at getting Nisbet out on loan ASAP, he's just not good enough right now he needs to develop further. Then we can get a striker of the 'hold up' type with good finishing to give us another option up front.

What we need is more goals in the team - that doesn't have to be a striker. If we can get a winger or attacking midfielder who has a knack of getting into good positions and scoring that would be just as good - even better since we wouldn't have to change our system (though we occasionally play 3-5-2 which does require two forwards). Ideally would be someone who could play wing/midfield and centre forward but that's probably expecting too much. Of course you're right that a left sided centre back is the immediate priority - I suspect/hope we are looking for two more players (i.e. CB and possibly winger) and then we see what's left in the budget.

I dont get many bets wrong either but I if you want a charity bet I will wager Jags top 8 easily this season?

Heard an even funnier prediction last night. Talking to a Hibs fan in Spain on ma Hols. Straight faced genuinely thinks they will finish 2nd or 3rd at worst. I thought my brother in law was bonkers telling me the earth is flat but this Hibs fan topped it. As for Thistle, just canny see how we can top last season. We'll be as inconsistent as ever. We'll have a few purple patches and some duff patches. At very very best we'll be 8th so probably a good charity bet. Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and probably St J's to squeak top 6. I think Killie and Motherwell will be better and they'll be our bench mark. Archie guaranteed to keep it defensive and we will stick with 1 up front. Doolan, Azeez and another no mark English based striker fighting it out chasing lost causes.

I am totally confident he will be back. My one slight doubt is whether he will re-find the terrific form he was on before he got injured. He has such a great attitude and mentality for the game though that I'm sure he will still be a first class player for us regardless.

Yup. We've been seriously failing in the disciplinary league table in his absence. Normal service resumed of needless cheap yellow cards every other game.

So a good season *in the Premiership*, recently. He's 26, as I said can play across the front line, and while I'm not denying he's been a flop at Rangers, I wouldn't write him off as a result of that. I think if he moves to a Premiership club he'll be a success, and if the finances are right then we should be enquiring. In my opinion.

I think O'Halloran could do a job for us. One of many decent players who seem to fall into the OF big squads and never get much of a chance.

Wonder how Lyle Taylor is doing? Given our top 6 finish, new training ground on the way, and a wee bit more cash about the place...if he could be tempted back?

Was thinking this myself, LT was being linked with Grimsby a few weeks ago, he is in final year of his contract so who knows, maybe a fee would tempt him and AFC W

The sun has printed that we have opened talks with rangers.