New Players...

Vinnyjag

Why didn't we make a move for Jack Hendry. Promising, young, knows the club and Archie and the club has a great record of getting the best out of centre backs.

Because we signed Keown our number one target this summer, because he hadn't really played in two years and we need a left sided CB not a right sided one

• Like 1

But we still need another CB as we quite often play 3-5-2 which leaves us with Keown, Devine and Barton (who prefers to play in midfield) which would leave us no cover. Before we had Keown on loan he had only made 2 senior appearances

Edited by lithgaejag

But we still need another CB as we quite often play 3-5-2 which leaves us with Keown, Devine and Barton (who prefers to play in midfield) which would leave us no cover. Before we had Keown on loan he had only made 2 senior appearances

We'll be signing another central defender, I wouldn't worry about not going for Hendry.

O'Halloran is contracted to sevco till 2020?

Story carried by the Sun.

Maxie reportedly on holiday.

O'Halloran 26 year old.

Could be a loan deal if sevco can't get a sale or if O'Halloran doesn't want to move on. Even so reckon it would still be an expensive loan deal at that. Btw I haven't heard Hippolyte mentioned much these days. I'd have thought he's more in our range. More in our usual age bracket and has plenty of pace.

Penrice has apparently been playing as a central defender in some of the bounce games we have had

I'm surprised by that. On the couple of occasions that I have seen him it was his crossing ability that stood out. He was pretty lightweight as well from memory.

^^

It may be just because we haven't signed a left sided centre back yet. Also maybe would toughen him up a bit and could test what he could do in an emergency if we lost a couple of centre backs. My impression too was that though he was fast, skillful with a great cross - and defended OK - he was a bit lightweight. Of course I haven't seen him since his return from East Fife so he may be stronger now.

I thought it was corners he was good at as opposed to open play crosses

Both.

Penrice has tho' played centreback with the U20s, more admittedly out of necessity. Think that's the case here as well as our only left sided centreback is Kelly, who's only 16. I imagine that playing Penrice in central defence may be looked on as toughening up exercise. Besides an injury or a sending off in a real match could easily see him being withdrawn into that role.

In reply to Moneh, of course it matters whether a defender is left or right sided. If it didn't you'd regularly see a right sided defender playing to the left of someone who's left sided. It's the degree of difference that counts and I think that varies enormously between players. Balatoni for all his faults could play on his weaker side whereas Aero Muirhead really struggled. Best example of late tho' was Seaborne who despite his experience didn't move across leaving that task to a raw 20 year old.

I don't get the 'left sided' centre back argument? To me that's irrelevant. A centre back is a centre back. Why he needs to specifically be left footed, I don't know.

Can't argue with your logic, but for balance I've always preferred the LCB to be stronger on his left side

I don't get the 'left sided' centre back argument? To me that's irrelevant. A centre back is a centre back. Why he needs to specifically be left footed, I don't know.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, of course you would idealy want a left sided player to play on the left, even daft things like the keeper throwing the ball out would be on his left side.

What's he going to do if the keeper throws it to him and he's on his left foot? If he's under pressure the keeper shouldn't have given him the ball in the 1st place. More often than not he would have plenty of time to take a few touches and find a pass, or what normally happens, horse it long to nobody.

I can understand in a perfect world it would be more advantageous if we could sign a good centre back with a left foot, however, as long as he is strong in the air, strong in the tackle, can read the game and has reasonable pace, I don't care what foot he prefers.

The vast majority of the game as a centre back relies upon instinct. This is when making decisions about backing off, when to move in and clearing the ball. It therefore stands to reason that they will fare better when they feel more confident in making these decisions, and will obviously feel more confident if they are playing on their favoured side where their stronger foot is utilised more. A right footed centre back will obviously be more apprehensive about clearing the ball with his weaker foot, for example, which may delay this decision and can be crucial.

What's he going to do if the keeper throws it to him and he's on his left foot? If he's under pressure the keeper shouldn't have given him the ball in the 1st place. More often than not he would have plenty of time to take a few touches and find a pass, or what normally happens, horse it long to nobody.

I can understand in a perfect world it would be more advantageous if we could sign a good centre back with a left foot, however, as long as he is strong in the air, strong in the tackle, can read the game and has reasonable pace, I don't care what foot he prefers.

If you were right footed playing on the left you would more than likely be putting in tackles with the wrong foot.

If you look at the top level of the sport, it's not uncommon to find a CB pairing where both are right-footed, eg. Real Madrid with Ramos and Varane, Bayern with Boateng and Martinez, Atletico with Godin and Savic. And these are teams who could sign any left-footed CB they wanted - but choose not to, because ultimately it's not a necessity.

Even looking back at us a couple of years ago, Seaborne and Lindsay was our partnership for a good portion of the season. Both left footers, and it wasn't really an issue at any point.

Plenty of possible reasons why Hendry hasn't signed for us, but I don't think it'll be because we wanted a left-footer instead.

Plenty of possible reasons why Hendry hasn't signed for us, but I don't think it'll be because we wanted a left-footer instead.

Archie keeps saying on Jagzone that his priority is getting in a left sided centre half, so I think it might be partly why Hendry wasn't considered.

I don't know if Hendry would have been a first choice for Archie though, even if he was left sided.

If you look at the top level of the sport, it's not uncommon to find a CB pairing where both are right-footed, eg. Real Madrid with Ramos and Varane, Bayern with Boateng and Martinez, Atletico with Godin and Savic. And these are teams who could sign any left-footed CB they wanted - but choose not to, because ultimately it's not a necessity.

We're not at the sport's top level, though.

Edited by Dark Passenger

As a professional footballer you should be able to do more with your weaker foot than just stand on it. Regardless of that, what happens when our left centre back gets suspended? Do we need to bring in an emergency loan as our only cover is right footed?

• Like 1

With Archie's improved tactical nous we often switch between a 2 and 3, sometimes seamlessly.

With 2 at the back its not quite so important as the job is to win the ball and lay it off to Osman or Booth or Christie etc. If you are playing on the left of a back 3 it is essential to have a decent left foot to distribute and/or get up the park and deliver a cross.

I can remember that guy Gibson playing LB. Nightmare and I felt sorry for him. Good question Moneh but I think it's essential to sign a left footed defender. Would have loved ATS but Penrice may have filled out to the extent that he could play on the left of a back 3.

Interesting point re McLaughlin but quite risky going in with him and Nesbit as only back up. The management team should know by now whether they are ready.

• Like 1