New Players...

Vinnyjag

Not great news at all, hopefully Archi has maybe even a loan deal lined up as cover for right back. Still 4 spots left to sponsor Muzzy's top over in Player Sponsorship thread as well, only positive being that winner of that top should get a fairly unworn one through the letterbox :(

Depending on money available it may be someone on loan ... unless we've more money than we think. Archie has basically said we now need a centre back, a full back and a forward. In view of how each season he's gone for a big, bustling type of forward as a contrast with Doolan, I suppose it would be natural he'd be interested in Storey. However unless Aberdeen are keen to get rid of him he could be expensive to sign. As no mention of a signing yet I expect a trialist or two may appear in tonight's game, probably at centre back.

Depending on money available it may be someone on loan ... unless we've more money than we think. Archie has basically said we now need a centre back, a full back and a forward. In view of how each season he's gone for a big, bustling type of forward as a contrast with Doolan, I suppose it would be natural he'd be interested in Storey. However unless Aberdeen are keen to get rid of him he could be expensive to sign. As no mention of a signing yet I expect a trialist or two may appear in tonight's game, probably at centre back.

Aberdeen now have Rooney, Stockley and Maynard plus Greg Stewart all ahead of Storey so I would think they're quite keen to get rid of him, so we can probably get Storey. Meekings has been on trial with us apparently so if we could get him in that would do for centre-back but I've not a clue of anyone we would target for right back.

The most frustratingly annoying thing is that any advantage accrued in finishing top-6, has apparently been pissed against a wall. The whole point of finishing top-6 was that we could start an early recruitment drive with guaranteed finances, and at least be able to attract a better quality of player with our increased reputation as an established SPFL team. That would mean we could head down South to the training camps with a pretty established team. Obviously that hasn't come to pass.

With only a few days until the start of competitive action, the only player we have really added is Spittal, with Keown simply a replacement for himself. That means we are still lacking a Lindsay-esq CB, another midfielder ideally since god-knows when Fraser will be back, and a striker. And it's a little depressing that in the space of a week we have gone from talk of O'Halloran, to Miles Storey whose scoring record over the last year and a half is no better than Azeez's.

Obviously the spanner in the works is that we need a replacement for Dumbuya as well. But I can't comprehend why the management staff are just dealing with these problems as they pop-up, as surely everyone knows that Muzzy hasn't kicked a ball consistently in over 2 years!

Bit disappointing to be going to a preseason game just 4 days before our first competitive match and seeing just one new player (Spittal). No trialists tonight. Dimbuya, Osman, Fraser and Keown unavailable (McCarthy too?). Penrice may have to play left centre back again depending on the formation.

Better news is Archie suggesting a striker in by the end of this week, and perhaps more of the existing squad signing extended contracts.

You can put the kettle on for Dumbuya getting injured, he would get injured sleeping. Its disappointing as there is a player in there, but we don't get enough from him to make it worthwhile. O'Donnell must have been looked at surely, even before this knee injury reared its head. I don't think Dumbuya will kick another ball for us, even if he does it wont be until the new year which is unacceptable.

Is that not a bit harsh on Dumbuya ? We got a full season from him the 1st year, I think. He injured himself during the close season last year, but hasn't really recovered.

While I really admire the way thistle treated sean Welsh, Stuart bannigan and Gary Fraser during their prolonged periods of treatment and recovery, I think your last sentence sadly says it all. He injured himself in the summer of 2016 when he was on holiday and will not be fit to play for us until the start of 2018 at the earliest by all accounts.

Edited by robphil

Is that not a bit harsh on Dumbuya ? We got a full season from him the 1st year, I think. He injured himself during the close season last year, but hasn't really recovered.

he was injured a few times his first season but not anywhere near as much as last season. In the first season till about the December he was my player of the year - he However started to pick up injuries from then on - it's probably why he never hit the heights in England as until the December I was thinking how on earth did this guy not get picked up by a far bigger team as I felt he was that good

Bit disappointing to be going to a preseason game just 4 days before our first competitive match and seeing just one new player (Spittal). No trialists tonight. Dimbuya, Osman, Fraser and Keown unavailable (McCarthy too?). Penrice may have to play left centre back again depending on the formation.

Better news is Archie suggesting a striker in by the end of this week, and perhaps more of the existing squad signing extended contracts.

At this rate, I'd take Storey now.

Muzzy worries me, a cracking wee player but he needs to be on the pitch not in the treatment room

I got absolute pelters for suggesting we should pay Welsh oft but now everyone is fine with Muzzy bring paid off. Welsh did just have a decent season and we were probably right to be loyal to him. In this case, they said Muzzy should be back in two months, so September isn't so bad if he can get up to speed quickly after that.

I am keen to hear the opinion of people in relation to whether they feel the club are ahead or behind where we were at this point last year, in relation to players.

In my opinion, we are significantly weaker than we were last year, and don't have the capabilities to compete in the top-6 at current strength. We haven't replaced arguably our best defender (Keown is a replacement for himself, and not an addition to the squad), our club captain, or our second choice striker. Nor have we addressed the Dumbuya situation that Archibald must have known about since the tail end of last season. And our situation in midfield in not replacing Welsh thus far, seems to be predicated on the assumption that Bannigan/Fraser are going to stay injury free.

Obviously there is still a good while to go until the end of August, but I fear that a poor start to the league for the third year in a row might now lead to the best outcome. I think we are at the bare minimum, 3 good quality players away from where we could realistically compete Top-6.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck