The Jags Vs Celtic

I think you may be having a laugh when you say Edwards will go onto better things. I have to agree with ptfc1942,s last sentence in his post.

We all have different opinions and views on players but Edwards reminds me of somebody looking busy but doing nothing. Just my opinion.

I tend to agree, loads of effort and energy but very little end product. How on earth he never scored against Rangers is beyond me

Just watched highlights. Towel thrown in before the start, more towels thrown in after each goal.

Opposition players allowed to meander through the Jags defence at will, with no tackles going in at all.

Question: Does that attitude and approach to the match start with the management?

The squad needs to be seriously strengthened if our aim is another top six finish next season.

Lindsay and Keown will likely need replaced. We've Bannigan coming back, which should be a big plus, but I don't see where the finances are coming from to seriously strengthen. Like to believe our success this season will help fund a bit of quality and we'll have a stronger squad but I doubt it'll be by any great degree.

I don't feel it's worth getting too worked up about tonight. Celtic have had similar wins against half the league including the four teams above us. Wasn't happy with our attitude particularly in the first half but by and large that's not been a problem this season.

• Like 1

Over the course of the season, I've had a few thoughts and today's performance just bolstered those thoughts.

Here's what I came away from the game thinking.....

1) Celtic are miles better than any team in Scotland...even on an off day and today they were on.

2) Czerny is the best goalie in Scotland.

3) For Doolan to be (most) effective he needs someone playing with/beside him, not behind him.

4) Osman continues to be a non-factor in most games I watch him. No idea why (barring injury) he's always penned in as an automatic starter.

5) Barton looked like he was a class above any other Thistle player at the start of the season. While he is still a presence when out there, his play has deteriorated between then and now.

It was uncanny to watch Celtic have the ability to be on top of the player receiving a pass before the ball even got there.

Thistle were the exact opposite. Celtic players received passes with no challenge and the Thistle player would just keep backing off.

Charging towards and harassing the Celtic defenders worked last game at Parkhead. Not sure why they didn't use the same tactic today.

I share thistle4celtic1's view on Osman. From what I see he is usually slow and lumbering; he breaks up some opposition attacks, but is by no means a playmaker or a box-to-box midfielder.

I also wonder about Barton's "class." Is he really as good as many people claim?

Another thing it highlighted is our inability to defend. When we come up against a Kilmarnock or a inverness they look good because generally its long high balls were dealing with. When a team have a player with any quality that run at our defence we are hopeless. Everyone of them are guilty of backing off to the point were in our own box. That's how Lindsay is not Scotland class, he still has much to learn and improve. That's basic stuff though and when you don't do the basics against a good team you get punished.

Another thing it highlighted is our inability to defend. When we come up against a Kilmarnock or a inverness they look good because generally its long high balls were dealing with. When a team have a player with any quality that run at our defence we are hopeless. Everyone of them are guilty of backing off to the point were in our own box. That's how Lindsay is not Scotland class, he still has much to learn and improve. That's basic stuff though and when you don't do the basics against a good team you get punished.

Lindsay certainly did a credible Grant Murray impersonation for one of their goals last night.

Osman has been concerning me for a few months now.

There was a time when he was the first name on the sheet and quite rightly captain.

Perhaps its niggling injuries that are effecting him but he has been rotten recently (even before his injury).

Barton is class and has been most of the season.

He, along with the rest, was poor last night.

I guess we're all annoyed at the attitude the team displayed considering we got a point at parkhead and know we're capable of so much better.

That Celtic team are on a diffferent level to anything in our league, when they hit top gear like that most teams would face a battering.

I'd give McCarthy a start against the Dons, hopefully we finish what has overall been a great season on a high.

Still to be convinced that Barton and Osman work as a midfield pairing. Both want to come short and a few times this season get in each other's way. Celtic were good last night but we failed at the basics like controlling the ball, matching runs, tackling etc. Was annoyed watching it but hard to be too upset at what has been a successful season.

Edited by marco77

As Blues Brother pointed out, they came out the traps against Aberdeen who, are by far and away the second best team in the league.

They took five off Rangers at their 'gaff' and no team ever tries harder against Celtic than they do.

We'll finish in 6th position in the SPFL and let us all hope that we don't have to wait another 36 years till we feel this good.

• Like 1

I share thistle4celtic1's view on Osman. From what I see he is usually slow and lumbering; he breaks up some opposition attacks, but is by no means a playmaker or a box-to-box midfielder. I also wonder about Barton's "class." Is he really as good as many people claim?

He is genuinely classy. Unfortunately he is also too often too casual, giving the ball away and undoing previous good work. He needs to up his game in terms of concentration and awareness. Strikes me he's probably been a talent from very young and has got away with a lot until he got to the higher levels of the game.

• Like 2

He is genuinely classy. Unfortunately he is also too often too casual, giving the ball away and undoing previous good work. He needs to up his game in terms of concentration and awareness. Strikes me he's probably been a talent from very young and has got away with a lot until he got to the higher levels of the game.

Opposition like last night's highlight players weaknesses and you could've said the same about Lawless and Erskine and doubtless a good few more. Playing the likes of Celtic also magnify these weaknesses. Even given the pivotal role Barton has in the team we should just just play to his undoubted strengths, which considerably overshadow his weaknesses in games against lesser teams.

It's up to Archie to find the right central midfielder to play alongside Barton. Like Marco77 I'm not that convinced that Barton/Osman is the best defence mid pairing. If Welsh is retained and Banzo returns to his old self I don't think Abdul will necessarily be the automatic starter he has been up to now.

Finally had a chance to reflect on last nights game. And unfortunately my opinion hasn't changed much.

If I were Archie before the game, I would have said: "look lads, we are absolutely guaranteed to finish 6th, so lets have a right good go at them." And judging from Archie's post match interview regarding the "fear factor," that might very well be what he said. But it doesn't detract from the fact that the only way to describe last nights game wasa shitebags performance.

Firstly, I'm annoyed at the advantage the club take in hiking prices for games against Rangers and Celtic. It's a disgrace, and since the books have been balanced, there isn't any need for it. Our record against the OF is pathetic enough (for example, our record against Rangers in the league is now apparently the worst of any professional team in Scottish history), yet the club charge extra to watch the inevitable defeat. Secondly, that must have felt like a home game for Celtic. The wall of Celtic fans in the JHS with the segregated Jags fans does nothing to encourage support. I can't totally blame the club for trying to get the away fans through the gate, and yet I can't blame our own fans for staying away.

In regards to the actual performance, it was hopelessly poor. We looked terrified to tackle anyone, apart from Booth who once again was all to eager. We could hardly string a pass together, we refused to run at their defence, and we were resigned to playing punt balls. Also, whenever we did have the ball at our feet, the players looked absolutely terrified and were resigned to getting rid of it ASAP. My father and brother who are both Celtic fans don't know much about Thistle, but they commented how slow and laborious our team are at getting forward, and how pace was very much lacking.

I know what the detractors to my post will say, and I agree in part. Celtic are head and shoulders better than any team in this league by an infinite margin. But that does not excuse the effort. I'm sick to death of being the "cuddly" whipping boys that the OF rightly see us as. Every team has taken something off of Rangers this season, apart from us. And one draw in 25'ish years against Celtic is also so disheartening, especially when the Lincoln Red Imps have a better record in the past 10 months than we do in the past 3 decades.

It has been a great season. And for once, our league finish accurately reflects our ability. We are far better than the bottom six, but our record since the split, whether that be ability or chucking in the towel, has shown that we are still quite a bit behind. By all accounts, the SPFL will be a lot more competitive next season, and we will need to add some fresh faces, as well as some depth to compete.

• Like 3

Ridiculous to criticise Cerny. What a moronic comment about feigning injury.

I thought we would have conceded 7 or 8 if Edwards hadn't come on. Attitude of the team changed totally.

Archie played an attack minded team which backfired from the start and I thought he should have changed it earlier ie after 10 minutes. Couldnt understand why Amoo started. He was never going to cover back when required.

Was the 4th over the line?

Ridiculous to criticise Cerny. What a moronic comment about feigning injury.

I thought we would have conceded 7 or 8 if Edwards hadn't come on. Attitude of the team changed totally.

Archie played an attack minded team which backfired from the start and I thought he should have changed it earlier ie after 10 minutes. Couldnt understand why Amoo started. He was never going to cover back when required.

Was the 4th over the line?

if you don't mind me asking why do you think Edwards kept the score down? He did plenty of running which to be fair was more than his team mates did - but not much else - though neither did his team mates. I thought it was more Celtic eased up a bit and Cerny and Ridgers were the ones to thank for the score being kept down.

if you don't mind me asking why do you think Edwards kept the score down? He did plenty of running which to be fair was more than his team mates did - but not much else - though neither did his team mates. I thought it was more Celtic eased up a bit and Cerny and Ridgers were the ones to thank for the score being kept down.

I'll stay out the Edwards Marmite debate but I reckon both sides of the divide can agree on one thing. He was the only outfield player who played his normal game last night.

Ask away TL.

Celtic are miles ahead of us technically. The only ways of avoiding the savings is either to park the bus or work much harder than they do.

I was pleased we didn't try the former but nor did we do the latter. They were excellent esp Roberts and Forrest so our defenders especially the fbs were exposed. Nobody played the rewards role in the 1st half. I appreciate he is not that silly but he does the closing down, harrying and tracking back roles well. I don't think it was coincidental that Celtics movement was not so impressive 2nd half.

• Like 1

"It has been a great season. And for once, our league finish accurately reflects our ability. We are far better than the bottom six, but our record since the split, whether that be ability or chucking in the towel, has shown that we are still quite a bit behind. By all accounts, the SPFL will be a lot more competitive next season, and we will need to add some fresh faces, as well as some depth to compete."

This contains several important grains of truth. In short, the team under AA is on a learning curve. The next step in the process is to compete more effectively in this level with, whisper it if you dare, the notion of competing for a European spot. But first and foremost we must apply ourselves as a club and a playing unit to maintain the progress that had been made.

both keepers were our best players on night and could easily have been 10 if not from them