Stranraer 29/7/17

Auld Jag

We win on Saturday we will be in the next round of the league cup.We wont be seeded I don't think,but we were seeded last season and it didn't go to well.I have supported Thistle for over 50 years so I should know better but I will predict a 3-0 victory for us.I also think we will start with the same 11 that started last week against St.Mirren unless there is any new injuries.

We cannot talk about Thistle v Stranraer without remembering the end of the last game against them at Firhill in the play offs. My recollection, which please correct if I have got any details wrong:-

Stranraer pushing hard to get back into the game and committing men forward with little thought for defence. Darren Brady and Stevie Nicholas break away and run through together unopposed by any defender, with just the goalie to beat. Stevie cleverly makes a run to the right and goes beyond the goalie. Darren moves slightly left and runs towards the goalie and fully commits him before slipping the ball forward to Stevie who has just the unguarded net in front of him. Genius!

But hold on. We forgot the offside rule. Surely the most unintelligent piece of play in the course of a chaotic season that turned out to be so undeservedly successful. I think we are still reimbursing Lady Luck for all her largesse to Dick Campbell.

• Like 1

I think the low point of my 25+ years of supporting the jags was a 3(?)-0 defeat at stair park on a Wednesday night.

No repeat of that sort of form please.

3-1. Des McKeown scored one of his very rare goals in that game. We were playing Ayr in the quarter-final of the Scottish Cup on the following Saturday and Lambie fielded a rather strange side including the aforementioned Blom.

I can remember that game but not more than half of last season's game. Figure that out if you can.

We cannot talk about Thistle v Stranraer without remembering the end of the last game against them at Firhill in the play offs. My recollection, which please correct if I have got any details wrong:-

Stranraer pushing hard to get back into the game and committing men forward with little thought for defence. Darren Brady and Stevie Nicholas break away and run through together unopposed by any defender, with just the goalie to beat. Stevie cleverly makes a run to the right and goes beyond the goalie. Darren moves slightly left and runs towards the goalie and fully commits him before slipping the ball forward to Stevie who has just the unguarded net in front of him. Genius!

But hold on. We forgot the offside rule. Surely the most unintelligent piece of play in the course of a chaotic season that turned out to be so undeservedly successful. I think we are still reimbursing Lady Luck for all her largesse to Dick Campbell.

Can mind the optimism re us winning the play offs took a fair dent that night but that was nothing compared to leaving Firhill after another defeat to Peterhead. Not sure who we should be thanking the most Lady Luck or Mark Roberts. The latter scored three of our four goals against Stranraer.

I would start nesbit for this one. He needs more minutes than anyone. For a young player he looks at times as if hes running with someone on his back. He was miles off the play in both games hes came on so far but for me he must start this game and show what he can do.

• Like 1

I would start nesbit for this one. He needs more minutes than anyone. For a young player he looks at times as if hes running with someone on his back. He was miles off the play in both games hes came on so far but for me he must start this game and show what he can do.

Wouldn't be a daft idea to play him from the start. Similar to my thinking re playing Edwards. Archie knows what Nisbet can do (and no doubt what he can't) but most fans remain rightfully unconvinced. So far our two most memorable moments of Nisbet this season have been a cracking free kick that rattled the upright at Dumbarton and a one on one Azeez like miss last Saturday.

I've seen enough of Nisbet to know he's got more strings to his bow but I'm far from sure he can transfer these abilities onto the big stage. I'd give him every chance as he's physically strong, no great pace but neither is he sluggish. Gotta feeling the plan was to put Kevin back out on loan but that may be scuppered with Muzzy's injury as we might not now bring in two attackers.

3-1. Des McKeown scored one of his very rare goals in that game. We were playing Ayr in the quarter-final of the Scottish Cup on the following Saturday and Lambie fielded a rather strange side including the aforementioned Blom. I can remember that game but not more than half of last season's game. Figure that out if you can.
I think the low point of my 25+ years of supporting the jags was a 3(?)-0 defeat at stair park on a Wednesday night. No repeat of that sort of form please.

Likewise remembering that game as one I had to bunk off early from work to travel down - think the weather was crap.

Looked up the he official history book which shows a crowd of 628 - most of us still carrying the scars by the sound of it!!

Onward to today - straight forward professional job pls

I would be playing our strongest team. We need a win more than giving youngsters game time. We might think that even our 2nd string should be good enough to beat Stranraer, but we have struggled against Livi and Airdrie when not playing our strongest 11.

I would be playing our strongest team. We need a win more than giving youngsters game time. We might think that even our 2nd string should be good enough to beat Stranraer, but we have struggled against Livi and Airdrie when not playing our strongest 11.

I think it would be in our best interests for the rest of the season to get some minutes for 2 or 3 of the younger boys who will probably be called upon at some stage rather than make it one more round in the league cup. For the record though, I think the two are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

Need to start the strongest XI possible, get a few goals then make changes. We can't afford to be out of the competition before it starts in earnest.

Next week will be a MASSIVE leap in terms of quality of opposition, so we need to be well versed in what we want to do. Faffing about with the team won't help.

In my opinion...