Stats Watch 2017-18

The Jukebox Rebel

I love you too, you big chunky loveball x

:detective:

There have only been two on-the-night-knockout ties between Jags and Saints in the League Cup. On both occasions the tie went all the way to extra-time and penalties, with St Johnstone winning at McDiarmid in 1992 and Thistle prevailing at Firhill in 2007.

Who scored for Thistle in the penalty victory over St Johnstone? I can remember only Steven Connor who came on loan from Everton. He had pace to burn, but sadly was injured in just about the next game and I do not think we saw him in a Thistle shirt again. Jonny Tuffey was the goalkeeping hero.

Referring to earlier posts on this thread, both players had consecutive identical letters in their names, so perhaps that is a good omen.

"TJR, would you know the last time we played two competitive weekday matches in the same week? I can't mind but guess it might be back in the time when cup replays were played to a conclusion over 90 mins." -

Last time I looked at the calendar Monday & Wednesday were in the same midweek :lol:

Oops I read that wrong, thought it said two consecutive days.

• Like 1

Penalty win v Saints Aug 2007

We won 5-4 in the City end shoot-out in question. I don't have all the scorers, but my notes tell me Scott Chaplain, Liam Buchanan and David Rowson all scored, with Archie and Stevie Murray missing. Tuffey physically saved from Andy Jackson and Gary Irvine. Stephen Connor scored in sudden death before Derek McInnes put the very last kick a yard wide of the post. Which is pleasing. True enough, that was Stephen Connor's third and final appearance as a Jag. He never played a full 90. 4 times an unused sub after the Saints game.

The working week

67 occurrences for 2 competitive games in the working week, mostly from the old days, and with Christmas holiday time accounting for around half of these. There's never been a 3. A few snapshots for your interest:

The first time:

Mon 02.01.1905 Kilmarnock [a] L2-3 (SFL First Division - game 19)

Tue 03.01.1905 Rangers [h] L1-4 (SFL First Division - game 20)

The last 3:

Tue 20.12.2016 Celtic [a] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 18)

Fri 23.12.2016 Ross County [a] W3-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 19)

Mon 27.12.2004 Ross County [a] L1-2 (SFL First Division - game 20)

Wed 29.12.2004 Falkirk [h] W2-1 (SFL First Division - game 21)

Mon 07.02.1983 Kilmarnock [h] D2-2 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round 2nd replay)

Wed 09.02.1983 Kilmarnock [a] W1-0 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round 3rd replay)

The last time it happened in August:

Mon 08.08.1977 Clydebank [h] W3-0 (Anglo-Scottish Cup Preliminary Round, 1st leg)

Wed 10.08.1977 Clydebank [a] D1-1 (Anglo-Scottish Cup Preliminary Round, 2nd leg)

The last time we went Tuesday/Friday Cup/League:

Tue 05.04.1921 Heart of Midlothian [n] W2-0 (Scottish Cup Semi Final 2nd replay)

Fri 08.04.1921 Hamilton Academical [a] L0-1 (SFL - game 38)

and we all know what happened after that in 1921 :D

Welcome to the working week ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyH9xPDDy80

• Like 1

08.08.2017 St Johnstone [a] W3-0 (League Cup 2nd Round)

ANOTHER PERTH RECORD FOR ARCHIE'S JAGS

• Thistle have yet to concede a first-half goal in this season's League Cup.
  • Steven Lawless makes his 200th competitive appearance and marks the occasion by succesfully converting his first-ever penalty-kick as a Jag.
  • Thistle are on a run of 5 successive penalty conversions (shoot-outs excepted).
  • Ryan Edwards's "Perth Glory strike" helps maintain his own 5 game unbeaten run this season.
  • Thistle win a competitive match without Kris Doolan for the first time since the 4-0 win at Inverness way back in December, 2014.
  • Archie's Jags become the first Thistle side in history to return home from Perth with a 3 goal victory margin. It's a nice follow-up to the record-making 4-in-a-row competitive away wins streak which was recently set there between 2015-2017.
  • Thistle have qualified for the League Cup Quarter Finals in all 8 decades of the tournament's existence, and do so again for the 17th time. It's been 42 years since the last semi-final appearance.

ongoing sequences:

• 28 consecutive competitive appearances for Adam Barton, 28th Dec 2016 to date. (Longest run since: Kris Doolan - 39 games; 15th Oct 2016 to 5th Aug 2017. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 63 away League games without a penalty award, 1st Mar 2014 to date. (A new club-record.)

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Penalty win v Saints Aug 2007

We won 5-4 in the City end shoot-out in question. I don't have all the scorers, but my notes tell me Scott Chaplain, Liam Buchanan and David Rowson all scored, with Archie and Stevie Murray missing. Tuffey physically saved from Andy Jackson and Gary Irvine. Stephen Connor scored in sudden death before Derek McInnes put the very last kick a yard wide of the post. Which is pleasing. True enough, that was Stephen Connor's third and final appearance as a Jag. He never played a full 90. 4 times an unused sub after the Saints game.

My records indicate the order was as follows

1. Scott Chaplain - GOAL - PT

2. Martin Hardie - GOAL - St J

3. Liam Buchanan - GOAL - PT

4. Paul Sheerin - GOAL - St J

5. Stevie Murray - MISS - PT

6. Peter MacDonald - GOAL - St J

7. Gary Harkins - GOAL - PT

8. Andy Jackson - MISS - St J

9. David Rowson - GOAL - PT

10. McCluskey - GOAL - St J

11. Alan Archibald - MISS - PT

12. Gary Irvine - MISS - St J

13. Stephen Connor - GOAL - PT

14. Derek McInnes - MISS - St J

Hope that fills a blank.

Like everyone else I was ruing the absence of Dools. I didn't realise the full magnitude his absence brings. That's an alarming stat.

I wouldn't worry too much - me and my hyper bowl are at it! The stat is really a credit to Doolan's durability rather than anything else; due to his form/fitness, he rarely misses a game. In each of the last two seasons he has an end-of-season table record which is ahead of the club itself (on goal difference), a most unusual occurrence in one season, never mind 2-in-a-row. Since the aforementioned 2014 game in the Highlands (and before last night), the no.9 had missed just 4 in competitive action:

01.10.2016 Rangers [a] L0-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 7)

31.10.2015 Heart of Midlothian [h] L0-4 (SPFL Premiership - game 13)

09.08.2015 Celtic [h] L0-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 2)

08.04.2015 Celtic [a] L0-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 32)

My records indicate the order was as follows

1. Scott Chaplain - GOAL - PT

2. Martin Hardie - GOAL - St J

3. Liam Buchanan - GOAL - PT

4. Paul Sheerin - GOAL - St J

5. Stevie Murray - MISS - PT

6. Peter MacDonald - GOAL - St J

7. Gary Harkins - GOAL - PT

8. Andy Jackson - MISS - St J

9. David Rowson - GOAL - PT

10. McCluskey - GOAL - St J

11. Alan Archibald - MISS - PT

12. Gary Irvine - MISS - St J

13. Stephen Connor - GOAL - PT

14. Derek McInnes - MISS - St J

Hope that fills a blank.

Thanks for that - good record keeping! Random query #147: Would you happen to have the 3 officials for the Lokeren game?

I know I should really buy a programme and find out but who is nearer fifty competitive goals for the Jags; Lawless or Erskine?

Chris (49 goals, 44th) is well of Stevie (35, joint 64th). There's certainly a lot of goals (237) in this Thistle team at the moment.

Thanks for that - good record keeping! Random query #147: Would you happen to have the 3 officials for the Lokeren game?

I don't think I do. I'll have a check and get back to you.

The officials were appointed by La Manga Club so I dare say it was one of their internal officials which covered the game.

I wouldn't worry too much - me and my hyper bowl are at it! The stat is really a credit to Doolan's durability rather than anything else; due to his form/fitness, he rarely misses a game. In each of the last two seasons he has an end-of-season table record which is ahead of the club itself (on goal difference), a most unusual occurrence in one season, never mind 2-in-a-row. Since the aforementioned 2014 game in the Highlands (and before last night), the no.9 had missed just 4 in competitive action:

01.10.2016 Rangers [a] L0-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 7)

31.10.2015 Heart of Midlothian [h] L0-4 (SPFL Premiership - game 13)

09.08.2015 Celtic [h] L0-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 2)

08.04.2015 Celtic [a] L0-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 32)

Chris (49 goals, 44th) is well of Stevie (35, joint 64th). There's certainly a lot of goals (237) in this Thistle team at the moment.

So who's making the Erskine 50 scarf then.

Any idea where Stuart Bannigan sits on the table of Thistle players receiving yellow cards in the last 30 years? I don't remember anyone else who was so consistent.

PS I love Stuart Bannigan.

PPS As a football player

I've got comprehensive and meaningful data from 1997-98 onwards, so I'd be best sticking to a table limited to that timespan. The following includes all competitive matches and second yellows have never been included.

55 - Alan Archibald

41 - Stuart Bannigan

36 - Paul Paton

28 - Abdul Osman

26 - David Rowson

24 - Billy Gibson

23 - Willie Kinniburgh

22 - Sean Welsh

21 - Christie Elliott

20 - Derek Fleming

19 - James Gibson

18 - Kallum Higginbotham

17 - Darren Brady

17 - Martin Hardie

17 - Paul Cairney

16 - Aaron Taylor-Sinclair

16 - Chris Erskine

16 - Gerry Britton

15 - Callum Booth

15 - Dan Seaborne

15 - Gary Harkins

14 - Conrad Balatoni

14 - Kenny Milne

14 - Steven Lawless

13 - Grant Murray

12 - Danny Devine

12 - David Lilley

12 - Marc Smyth

11 - Andy Lyons

11 - Jordan McMillan

11 - Mark Roberts

10 - Jamie Mitchell

10 - Ryan Edwards

10 - Simon Donnelly

10 - Stephen Craigan

10 - Stephen Docherty

10 - Stephen O'Donnell

Does any team in the top division have a worse record than us against R & C in the past 20 years ?

I doubt it.

11.08.2017 Celtic [h] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 2)

NO MILESTONE CELEBRATION

• Thistle meet Celtic at home in the League for the 100th time.
  • For the first time in his managerial career, Alan Archibald loses a 6th consecutive League game.
  • Thistle suffer a 14th consecutive home League defeat to Celtic (11.11.1995 to date), extending our longest such run against any team in history.

ongoing sequences:

• 8 League games without a win, 15th Apr 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 20th Aug 2016 to 22nd Oct 2016. Club-record: 26 games; 28th Nov 1908 to 2nd Oct 1909.)
  • 29 consecutive competitive appearances for Adam Barton, 28th Dec 2016 to date. (Longest run since: Kris Doolan - 39 games; 15th Oct 2016 to 5th Aug 2017. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 63 away League games without a penalty award, 1st Mar 2014 to date. (A new club-record.)

• For the first time in his managerial career, Alan Archibald loses a 6th consecutive League game.
  • Thistle suffer a 14th consecutive home League defeat to Celtic (11.11.1995 to date), extending our longest such run against any team in history.

Can you add an extra column in your database and credit Dallas with assists for these two. Thanks.