St Johnstone League Cup

lithgaejag

BBC Stats show we had 12 shots, 4 on target; they had 5 none on target (these stats probably a wee bit out, I'm sure they had a header straight into Cerny). Anyway we seem to have created a lot more - and got our shots in. Reading online reports it seems our defenders were blocking most of their shots which probably explains why they had so many more corners than us. We do seem to have outplayed them.

Missus is a Saints fan, so quiet drive home to Edinburgh (given the earlier posts about texting and driving, for the avoidance of doubt, I am the passenger!).

Team had better balance today with Edwards. Barton better distribution than Saturday against Hibs. Turnbull looked pretty decent, so feeling better about defence now we have options.

A word on Nisbet - much better and glad to say that the fans were mostly supportive. For me it was application - he was harrying the centre halfs and played with more aggression and energy than he did on Saturday. Great assists for the pen and Erskine's goal. Not sure he will be a goal machine but he's what we've got for now.

• Like 1

Just in.

Special mention to the fans who travelled after the disappointment on Saturday. £18 as well. OUCH!

Anyway, self gratification over.

Nisbet terrorised their central defenders. They looked dangerous going forward but couldn't finish a fish supper.

Second half, Nisbet continued to wreak havoc and Erskine began to control the tempo. Bursting forward when he could and slowed it right back down when needs be. Game management was markedly better than Saturday.

Turnbull looked very, very comfortable and provides better distribution than anything else we have at centre back. Devine gives it away far too often for me.

Edwards' goal was a beazer.

Elliott continues to improve with every 90minutes he plays. A seasoned right back now.

COULD THIS BE OUR YEAR?

Edited by brodieboy

Even if we were to go out we in next round, if it was the televised game c£95k in prize money so not to be sniffed at and hopefully a help to attract another striker. Will settle for no tele until the final though :)

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/celtic/15386530.SPFL_announces_record_prize_money_for_2017_18_Betfred_Cup/

I must admit the way we defended too deep after the second goal gave me the creeps. From the other end it looked as if they missed several sitters. The green team won't let us off with that on Friday. Why do we back off and back off and then just boot it up the park to nobody most of the time.

Having said all of that there were several excellent performances tonight. Jordan Turnbull was awful impressive for a debut and with new people around him. Thought Callum had a great game as did Christy - how his actual football has improved; great to see.

Wee Stevie was more like himself and Edwards was nearer the form of last season. BUT Squiddy was just immense. What a game he had!!

Agree that young Nisbet was much better than Saturday and maybe he just needs a couple of goals to get his confidence up.

Pleased to be through but, as always with the Saintees, if they had got that first goal we would have been much less happy on the way home.

C'mon Jags give us something to be proud of on Friday. I was nearly vomiting at the level of grovel there was to all things Celtic on the radio on the way home. Just awful to listen to..