Whipping Boy

Jago1953

What is the problem with a section of Thistle supporters who appear to get their jollies by making young players a target for their trolling . Last season it was Liam Lindsay now its

Kevin Nisbet .

Give the lad a chance ffs rather than slagging him give him support. You never know he might just improve like Liam did .

• Like 4

I'll be the first to admit it, after Saturday I had Kevin Nisbet pinned as the 'next John McGoldrick'.

I was also at McDairmid tonight though and he was like a new signing. Strength, determination, movement, patience and guile. Shaughnessy and Anderson had no answers whatsoever.

Gutted he couldn't find the net. Tried the spectacular a couple of times when a low drive might have proven effective enough. That'll come with games but you wonder how much game time he'll get when we sign another striker...

Well done Kevin. Goes to show why I'd never make it as a football manager!

Edited by brodieboy
  • Like 3

I've seen a lot of Nisbet in the U20s. Because he's matured physically earlier than others he's been able to bully opponents and generally be a real handful. Perhaps his problem stems from that as when up against the physicality in our league he doesn't have the same edge. Tonight he showed there's more to his game, certainly more of the team player in him. Also tonight for the first time we got to see Nisbet's pace. True he needs the best part of twenty yards to get up to speed but when given the opportunity he could cause defenders a problem.

• Like 1

Played his heart out tonight, boy was dead on his feet at the end of the game. Had a hand in all the goals and did not look out of place in the team.

Can't help but feel that he beneffited enormously from going into this game knowing what the game plan was & how he had to execute his role in it, as opposed to being thrown into it on Saturday against Hibs. Played brilliant Kevin keep it up.

• Like 2

Yes, I was critical of him Saturday. I didn't want to see him in the team tonight.

The player and manager deserve huge credit. I reckon Kevin was shown the Hibs' video and told that was nowhere near good enough if he wants to be a player. Archie probably emphasised how Murray gave our defence a tough time.

He was excellent tonight especially 2nd half when he realised that he could give those 2 cb's a going over. His hold up play and layoffs were superb tonight. But he now needs a goal.

Utterly delighted to be proved wrong.

Keep it up Kev!!

• Like 1

I don't remember Liam Lindsay being singled-out for criticism much at all by the fans, either at games or on the internet.

It's good to hear that Nisbet had a better game today, but I think everyone would be a lot happier, probably including him, if he was not the immediate and only back-up for Doolan this season.

Great to hear that Nisbet had a better game. I think there is room in the squad for three strikers and even if we sign another he'll get opportunities. This is the season he has to step up though. That doesn't mean he has to be brilliant immediately, but he has to progress and prove he is good enough at this level. He's done the loan thing and if he's good enough then he's definitely now old enough.

I don't remember Liam Lindsay being singled-out for criticism much at all by the fans, either at games or on the internet.

Certainly not nearly as judgmental as Nisbet was getting. It was Danny Devine that was getting the lion's share of stick back then.

The OP tho' does have a point at the OTT criticism some (too many) Jags fans can dish out. On leaving the Dumbarton game I heard one of our more senior supporters absolutely ranting and raving about the loss of the second goal. Cause of his tantrum was a mistake by a 17 year old left back just on the pitch and asked to cover the right back slot in a meaningless friendly. There ain't much doubt that a sizable minority of our support are only happy when they're moaning.

Archie on Jagzone mentioned the 'panning' he was getting. Archie says he deservedly got a panning for his work at and he was pleased that he upped his effort last night, but he needs to do more.

To balance that up a bit Archie also said (on radio) it was harder for Nisbet on Saturday as he was a forced sub. Last night he knew he was starting and had adequate preparation for the role he had to play.

I'd also add that knowing he was the only CF we had meant it was all on him to do the job right - in a way added pressure but could be a confidence booster too in that he knew he was being trusted with a big responsibility up front and it was up to him to show he could do it.

Edited by Mr Bunny

For all I know that may well be the case. Genuine question, are you qualified to make such an assertion or is it simply your opinion?

Whether he is qualified or not is not the issue. There is plenty of research by those who are qualified to back up his assertion. See https://www.ditchthelabel.org/research-papers/the-annual-bullying-survey-2016/ or https://www.ditchthelabel.org/research-papers/cyberbullying-and-hate-speech/

Edited by flashman

Whether he is qualified or not is not the issue. There is plenty of research by those who are qualified to back up his assertion. See https://www.ditchthe...ng-survey-2016/ or https://www.ditchthe...nd-hate-speech/

I doubt there's any distinction in there between giving abuse to our players or giving abuse to opposition players. If so most of us are bullies taking out our insecurities due to other issues? I totally concur with the OP, it's well out of order some of the abuse Nisbet was getting. I wouldn't take it further than that.

I doubt there's any distinction in there between giving abuse to our players or giving abuse to opposition players. If so most of us are bullies taking out our insecurities due to other issues? I totally concur with the OP, it's well out of order some of the abuse Nisbet was getting. I wouldn't take it further than that.

Having taught psychology to degree level, I would be seriously asking what has happened to someone who takes satisfaction in some of the more extreme levels of abuse aimed at some players. Sports psychology can explain to an extent the taunting of opposition players or officials to try and gain an advantage for the team you support, but it is more complex where people are directing sustained abuse at their own team or members of the team, denigrating their ability. This is particularly the case when delivered in person, but also on an open forum where anyone can see it. I would say Thistle fans are generally tolerant (O'Donnell, Erskine - confidence players who haven't replicated their Thistle form elsewhere; Pogba; Azeez, etc.), but there are some supporters who do occasionally pick on a scapegoat.

There is fair and (reasonably) objective criticism of performances and then there is abuse for the sake of it.

Edited by flashman