St Johnstone 28/10/17

Auld Jag

Sublime goal from Storey today and hopefully he's got more of those in his armoury. I thought we deserved that win today-all the players got pass marks today and and Big Tam grabbing a hug and hi fives from the North Stand at the end of the game made me smile. Compared to a few weeks ago, it's nice to feel good on a Sat night again.

Another three points gained as a result of a battling performance. It wasn't pretty on the eye, which is understandable given injuries and the conditions, but I thought we looked more solid at the back compared with last weekend. McGinn was particularly good in the first half and I thought Edwards played well throughout. Lawless looked more assured positionally and Sammon and Storey caused them problems in very different ways.

Credit must go to Archie and co for finding a way to dig out results amidst an injury crisis. Other management teams would have been paralysed by the decimation of our squad, and our full-backs in particular, but ours kept plugging away and found a way of putting points on the board. I obviously look forward to the return of those players who enable us to play a more familiar and attractive brand of football, but in the meantime this'll do fine.

• Like 3

A good performance and result to cap a good week. Thank goodness that there is now some stability surrounding the manager after these results. Let's hope that if McInnes takes the SEVCO job (the BBC has him odds on favourite), there is no domino effect among Scottish club managers.

A good performance and result to cap a good week. Thank goodness that there is now some stability surrounding the manager after these results. Let's hope that if McInnes takes the SEVCO job (the BBC has him odds on favourite), there is no domino effect among Scottish club managers.

A few Dons fans up here do like Archie.

You can be delighted that we have had a great week and still think the quality of football you watch - from both sides - is poor which it was

I don't think anyone is claiming that the fare on offer is pretty on the eye. My personal view is it is improving as the results and confidence returns.

This team is currently fragile and short of the right balance that would not only consistently improve the results but also the performances.

Having said that 7 from 9 is most welcome and gets us back in the mix and also puts pressure on other teams which will ask them questions our club has answered in recent games.

Every time this manager and his squads have been asked questions they come up with answers they have my respect for this and long may they do so.

• Like 1

Not the greatest football but plenty to be admired. Grinding out that result was important and we defended well. Confidence will grow and storey’s run and finish were very good. St Johnstone are very ordinary - would not be surprised if they get drawn into the bottom six scrap this year

I wasn't expecting to be hugely entertained today...a blustery wind, the functional St Johnstone as visitors and Sammon up front was not an attractive combination but a win made it bearable. Archie must take credit for setting out a side which is hard to beat despite no defensive midfielders or a left back...but I am looking forward to having our missing players back and a return to the slick quick passing style I've enjoyed watching over the last few seasons. We just have to hang in there for now.

I am not a fan of the hump it up to the Big Man style though Sammon was ok in that role. I was just thinking Storey was really poor when out of nowhere he scored a very good goal - still to be convinced by him though. It was only in the last 15 minutes that we made good passes and threatened their goal. Cerny made some fine saves early on and handled crosses immaculately...the three centre backs defended well and McGill had a decent game. I have the fear every time a long high diagonal ball is fired from the opposition left wing to the back post or if there is an attack down their right wing but Lawless again stuck in well...I can't believe we are getting away with playing him there. Edwards does some good things - he ran back 70 yards to make an excellent tackle but he had just given the ball away when in good position outside their box. Barton had a quiet game.

I have had a grudging admiration for St Johnstone's ability to achieve high League positions, a cup win and European games without ever looking a better side or having better players than us. They were poor today and will be in the Relegation Mix this season on this performance. They are a negative side and I had a wry smile as they were given a taste of their own medicine with our game management (this used to be called time-wasting)

Those of us at the City End had close up views of two incidents which did add to the afternoon's entertainment. Scougall jarred his knee and his momentum took him off the park. It looked a sore one and I could see him holding on to the wall at the front of the Jackie Husband Stand just beside the base of the Floodlights. Play was up at the other end when I saw he had hirpled 10 yards to fall down injured a yard on the pitch...play was stopped for 3 minutes so he could receive treatment.

Late on, the ball was hoofed into the Stand...a young lad of about 13 caught the ball, hid it behind his back, ambled slowly down the aisle to hand the ball to Anderson...then threw it 20 yards away from him. My first reaction was he was out of order...but after Scougall's nonsense and remembering last season when the big St Johnstone Keeper let the ball bounce off his chest when the tiny Thistle ballboy threw it to him just to waste another few seconds, I joined in the cheering.

Edited by Winter of '63
  • Like 1

Not disagreeing the standard of football was poor but the conditions didn't help. I've long been a critic of the way we manage poor conditions, particularly strong wind, but today was one of the few times I thought we played the elements better than the opposition. We might even have come out on top in midfield as well, tho' it can be said that was an area of the pitch neither side exactly prioritised.

Just heard the best quote of the season so far. While commentating on the game for Jagzone, a couple of minutes after Storey had scored, the ball is played down the line for Storey, and Raymond says

"He's got two this time to contend with, although one of them is Paul Paton".

Pure class, which could only have been bettered, if he had added "who is an Ar$ehole" at the end of that statement.

Edited by jagsman411971