St Johnstone 28/10/17

Auld Jag

Two clean sheets in a row, only one conceded in three, is a very good response to the shambles of the killie and motherwell games from the players and management

The standard of that game was woeful but I didn't feel any players let us down. Lawless is doing a manful job out of position and Edwards puts in an incredible amount of effort and work. I thought Devine captained the team really well today too.A bit of leadership /that has sometimes been missing this season,

• Like 1

Coming out of Firhill after the Kilmarnock game I could not see where our first league win was going to come from.I had just seen a Thistle team play with no fight,no confidence and no clue.Now a few weeks later we have won 2 games and drawn 1.We are still in a dog fight and will be for a good bit of the season.But we have shown we know how to win and we didn't look like that a few weeks ago. I know it hasn't been pretty but it is effective and it is a results driven business. Well done to the management team and players.

• Like 4

Nice to be able to view the league table again.

100% effort and a great goal which was one of the few moments of inspiration.

Quite a few pre match predicted a dour 1-0. Well that's exactly what we got and it's fine by me. Plenty of time to return to world class when our payers return to action but grinding out results is fine just now. I don't particularly like Sammon but he did a job in line with the way we had to play.

The defence was terrific but we shall be caught out if we continue to have Stevie at the back. Again, well done to him for sticking at it but he's playing well enough to justify a start in his natural position.

St Jounstone are garbage. Welcome to the relegation zone.

Another positive yesterday was to see the enjoyment on the faces of the Weir Academy youngsters playing at halftime. I know that at their age I would have been daunted playing in front of a crowd but it did not seem to affect any of them.

This is certainly the way forward for the club. Even if only one or two of these youngsters make it in football, it may give others confidence to progress in whatever career that they choose. Looking at some of the goal celebrations (and haircuts), clearly illustrated the influence that our current crop of players have on them.

Just watched the highlights: that was an amazing burst of pace from Storey for his goal. Some nice moves from Thistle, and a wee bit of luck would have seen another couple of goals.

I've got a feeling that Sammon is going to start finding the net very soon. Next week would be the perfect occasion.

Careful, you'll get a yellow card from the punpolis, Jaggernaut. (hardly up to parr, btw)

Storey is almost as strong as Azeez and about the same pace. All he has to do is win a couple of one on ones with the keeper and he'll have exceeded Ade's contribution. Could argue that after yesterday he already has.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

3 points in the bag

but that was grim

less than 3000 there today and you can see why

archie again very late introducing subs

If I was this negative after taking 7 points in 7 days, I think I would just pack it in and find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Congratulations on finding a way to have a pathetic little dig at the Manager too.

• Like 4

Looks like I might be in the minority but I quite enjoyed yesterday.

Wasn't a free flowing game but it was very evident that the team have grown in confidence over the last week.

I thought we got our tactics spot on, soaked up the little pressure they put on us and with a bit more composure we could have hurt them on the counter.

I've been critical of Edwards in the past but he was good yesterday. Hs first touch and awareness needs improving but he isn't alone in that respect. Storey makes great runs and his pace will hurt teams but he could do with lifting his head now and again to see where his team mates are.

Sammon won't score many goals but he's obviously been given a job to do by Archie and I can't fault his application.

Keown still looked a bit nervy with the ball at his feet but the defence on the whole was much improved.

Lawless was excellent again, stuck to his task throughout and was a clear MOTM in my opinion.

7 points out of 9 is a very good return.

Keep plugging away and fingers crossed by December we may start to see a few faces returning to strengthen the team.

• Like 2

Late on, the ball was hoofed into the Stand...a young lad of about 13 caught the ball, hid it behind his back, ambled slowly down the aisle to hand the ball to Anderson...then threw it 20 yards away from him. My first reaction was he was out of order...but after Scougall's nonsense and remembering last season when the big St Johnstone Keeper let the ball bounce off his chest when the tiny Thistle ballboy threw it to him just to waste another few seconds, I joined in the cheering.

I know that boy, I would’ve done the same if it was me.

I agree with the majority here ie we are much improved from the Motherwell/Killie shambles.

I thought Archie chose the best team available and used the subs well. Lots of positives eg a really solid back 3, McGinn improving, Edwards running his heart out and Storey gaining more confidence.

7 points from 9 was what I was hoping for this week and we've done it.

Well done to Archie and his staff and a big shout to all 13 who played yesterday and also well done to the board for not panicking. Only disappointment has been the departure of clown from Ibrox.

Really good week to be a Jag.

If I was this negative after taking 7 points in 7 days, I think I would just pack it in and find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Congratulations on finding a way to have a pathetic little dig at the Manager too.

just read this

i thought this a jags forum where fans can voice their opinions about their team

a pathetic little dig at archie ? that comment in my view is pathetic

i will continue to express my opinion on this forum unless and until admin decides otherwise

watties wallies

• Like 1

I think Archie looks ideal for Aberdeen unfortunately. But fingers crossed it won't happen.

We can only hope that the Currant Buns deploy their usual brand of logic and go for a True Brit like Sam Allardyce? Otherwise, I agree that Archie on paper would appear to be a really good fit for Aberdeen. That is of course, if Machines is unable to resist the siren voices calling him whom to Mordor

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 1

. We can only hope that the Currant Buns deploy their usual brand of logic and go for a True Brit like Sam Allardyce? Otherwise, I agree that Archie on paper would appear to be a really good fit for Aberdeen. That is of course, if Machines is unable to resist the siren voices calling him whom to Mordor

Have to give this a like for the wonderful use of (mixed) metaphor, irony and just about every other conceivable type of figure of speech. The use of Machines rather than McInnes to describe Orcs being inexorably and mindlessly called back to their place of origin is classic!

• Like 1

just read this

i thought this a jags forum where fans can voice their opinions about their team

a pathetic little dig at archie ? that comment in my view is pathetic

i will continue to express my opinion on this forum unless and until admin decides otherwise

watties wallies

I'll do the Voltaire with you on that, w w. Defend you to the hilt. Anyway imo you're correct in so much as it was indeed grim.

Must say tho' I don't know what you mean when comparing the attendance to the grimness of the occasion. I agree with Dave J re our attendances are more or less consistent. Further I'd like to see evidence of any upturn in gates following an entertaining and winning series of matches. Our failure to get more bums on seats over recent seasons is probably the most disappointing aspect in what's been by and large such a successful period. In way of a specific did our ST sales enjoy a serious upturn in the wake of our top six finish last season?

I also disagree with you re timing of substitutions. Once again? Archie's substitutions effectively won us the game against Dundee. Yesterday both replacements were of a defensive nature made to see the game out, which we did. True he didn't make any subs against Accies but midfield was bypassed. I don't see that the introduction of say Nitriansky would've been positive and both Doolan and Storey ran strongly for 90 mins and similarly doubt Nisbet or Sammon would have changed things for the better given that the Dools/Storey partnership looked promising.

I'm 100% behind you expressing your opinion and not that mine matters but I more often or not agree with your posts. I've gone to the bother of explaining my different view to yours and perhaps Tom S should've as well but I can certainly understand his response.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett