Scottish Cup Draw

elevenone

The head says Montrose for ease of passage into the next round. The heart says Palmerston for a crackin day oot and a wee jaunt into the Globe.

Queens are nigh on certain to beat Montrose, though, and they will provide stern opposition for us. Dobbie is still banging them in and has scored once or twice against us in the past. Get through this tie, however, and I've a feeling we could go on a run.

Hoping for Montrose - one of the grounds I've never visited.

And a better prospect of getting through.

I've vague recollections of a friendly at Links Pk ten or so years ago. Gotta feeling John Robertson made his debut in the game either as a trialist or he had just joined us the day before. Be surprised, Big Col, if you get the opportunity this season to see us play there.

If as I suspect it is Queens then we could be in for a very difficult game. Perhaps a few imponderables like how fired up we'll be after the break, how much will the playing surface affect us and how much emphasis Queens will put on the game. Will they be prioritising keeping in touch of a play off position? Anyway I'm with Blackpool Jag re head and heart.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I remember that pre-season friendly at Montrose. When the ball bounced on the artificial pitch, it threw up black ash.

First sightings of Liam Buchanan, Scott Chaplain, Marc Twaddle and a returning David Rowson.

And I kept thinking somebody was our new signing Gary Harkins, but found out later that it wasn't him at all.

I remember that pre-season friendly at Montrose. When the ball bounced on the artificial pitch, it threw up black ash.

First sightings of Liam Buchanan, Scott Chaplain, Marc Twaddle and a returning David Rowson.

And I kept thinking somebody was our new signing Gary Harkins, but found out later that it wasn't him at all.

Have we played more than one friendly at Montrose in recent years, maybe 2007? The one I was at (fairly sure 2006) we were still "managed" by Dick Campbell and not certain about a plastic pitch.

The head says Montrose for ease of passage into the next round. The heart says Palmerston for a crackin day oot and a wee jaunt into the Globe.

Queens are nigh on certain to beat Montrose, though, and they will provide stern opposition for us. Dobbie is still banging them in and has scored once or twice against us in the past. Get through this tie, however, and I've a feeling we could go on a run.

That's f******d it...!!!

January 1890 4-1, January 1894 2-2, March 2003 4-0. July 2006 3-1, July 2007 0-2.

Thank you AFK. That has solved the mystery. LiIB was remembering 2006 and I was remembering 2007.

Was 2007 Ian McCall's first friendly in charge which would explain why all these players were new to me?

To take LIB's other point, maybe the plastic pitch was new in 2007. I am not an expert in such matters but perhaps the black ash spurting up was a temporary phenomenon before the pitch "settled".

Edited by partickthedog

Thank you AFK. That has solved the mystery. LiIB was remembering 2006 and I was remembering 2007.

Was 2007 Ian McCall's first friendly in charge which would explain why all these players were new to me?

To take LIB's other point, maybe the plastic pitch was new in 2007. I am not an expert in such matters but perhaps the black ash spurting up was a temporary phenomenon before the pitch "settled".

McCall was appointed 25th May so this was his first game in charge.

Hinchcliffe, Robertson,Twaddle, Gibson (J), Lennon, Archibald, Rowson, Harkins, Buchanan,Roberts, Murray.

Subs: Chaplain, McStay, Donnelly, Gibson (G), Strachan.

• Like 1

Well, we're back down to bottom of the league, so the perennial "what would you prefer" question:

What would you prefer:

(a) get knocked out of the Cup as usual but survive in the Premiership for another season

( B) get relegated but somehow manage to win the Scottish Cup

??

Haha, "b" in brackets comes out like that!

Edited by Jaggernaut