Loan Players

Jaggernaut

I almost called this thread "Conor Sammon", but maybe that would have been too harsh.

Loan players: what is the point of them?

Can anybody name a player on loan at Thistle who has ever made a positive difference to the team? Who has contributed to us winning promotion, or winning anything at all?

I maintain that some years ago Thistle were on the road to promotion until McCall started following orders from Ibrox and insisted on changing our shape to accommodate yon wee h u n runt, and we spurned a real chance of winning the league as a result. Then there was the young Everton guy - injury hit - a couple of years ago.

Dorrans was a bit of a gem in a team of garbage, but what actual impact did he make?

So, that brings us to Sammon.........

Is Jordan Turnbull not technically on loan? He has been one of our better performers.

Without the head of steam which Dorrans and Santala in their different ways enabled us to build up, we would never have crawled over the promotion line at Peterhead.

Peter Lindau's loan period helped to lift the gloom and to pave the way for the positive promotion campaign in which he was involved the following season.

Sammon, though, is (unfortunately) useless.

He's always been useless, according to Kilie supporting pals, apart from a golden spell when Ermolenko was in their team and regularly punted great balls into the box for him to head in.

His second spell at Kilmarnock was completely unproductive without Ermolenko, so it's no surprise he's contributed next to nothing with us.

I'd return him to the Cousins of William asap.

Turn this on its head and I wonder if clubs we've loaned players out to have had more or less success with our players than we've had with the loanees who we've brought in?

Banzo was an alright loanee for Ayr, Lindsay did well enough on his two spells out (at Alloa & at Airdrie). Surprising as it may seem to many Scully did tremendously well at East End Pk whilst I very much doubt Clyde supporters will look back at Dools's spell with them with much fondness. Jury is still out on Nisbet who had a poor time at Ayr and certainly not shown much signs of benefiting from his time there. There's no doubt that Penrice has impressed both for East Fife and up a division this term with Livingston. Tho' I think he'll be good for us it's no certainty.

Btw Fairly sure Welsh, Balatoni, Booth like Keown all were initially loan players.They all turned out to be very good signings.

On a side note, James Penrice returns to us in January. Having a great time in the Championship, a very good set-piece taker, and an ever developing defender. Would imagine he will take Booth's spot.

More likely to be sitting on the bench beside McCarthy, another talented youngster.