Loan Players

Jaggernaut

To be fair we haven't played to his strengths. Out wide??? He surprised me against rangers. One up front only works if you have other players in support, were too busy hanging about the half way line. How many times last week for example did Storey get the ball in a wide area and look into the box to see, if he was lucky, one red and yellow jersey. Also, how many times do we play a ball into space for a striker to run onto? Its always tried to be put into feet. I don't know what we do all week in training but we're unbelievably clueless in our approach.

Forgot about:

Aidan Nesbitt

George Moncur

Jake Carroll

Jamie Adams

Stevie Lovell

Ryan McGowan

Congratulations on producing a list of loan players.

Now to the question:

What did they actually do to better the position of PTFC?

Yes, a few of them made a positive difference, but did they all?

Now to the question:

Not entirely sure the validity of the point I think you're making. I, and I'm sure most of us, could name a team of loan players who judged on their Jags form would beat a team of Jags signed players, and of course vice versa.

There's possibly three types of loan players. There's the ones brought in with the main intention to considerably strengthen the squad tho' we'd have next to no chance of signing (recently Moncur, Bauben, Aiden Nesbitt). Others to do the same but if they showed promise we would likely have a good chance of signing (Welsh, Booth and I believe, Taylor). Thirdly there's the emergency/panic type of loan who may fall also into either of the first two but the main priority is to help out immediately (we tend to sign players on short contracts instead).

In recent years I reckon we've been successful in signing loanees. I guess we would've struggled, probably faced a bit more competition, when it came to signing up some good players.

Now to the question:

I think it is unrealistic to expect every loan player to make a positive difference.

When signing a player on loan for a few months, you can afford to take more of a risk than if signing someone on a 3 year deal. If it does not work out , the financial outlay has been relatively minimal, and you can say goodbye with few regrets.

I ran this question through my scientifically devised Mincometer and it came back with the following formulae:

When signing a player for more than 2 years a reasonable expectation would be Good 65% Average 30% Pure & Utter Mince 5%

When signing a player for at least 1 year but less than 2 years a reasonable expectation would be Good 50% Average 30% Pure & Utter Mince 20%

When signing a player for a half season loan a reasonable expectation would be Good 35% Average 30% Pure & Utter Mince 35%

Analysing Thistle loan players over the years, the Mincometer concludes that based on these formulae we have done reasonably OK and perhaps slightly above expectation.

Edited by partickthedog