Loan Players

Jaggernaut

I think it is unrealistic to expect every loan player to make a positive difference.

When signing a player on loan for a few months, you can afford to take more of a risk than if signing someone on a 3 year deal. If it does not work out , the financial outlay has been relatively minimal, and you can say goodbye with few regrets.

I ran this question through my scientifically devised Mincometer and it came back with the following formulae:

When signing a player for more than 2 years a reasonable expectation would be Good 65% Average 30% Pure & Utter Mince 5%

When signing a player for at least 1 year but less than 2 years a reasonable expectation would be Good 50% Average 30% Pure & Utter Mince 20%

When signing a player for a half season loan a reasonable expectation would be Good 35% Average 30% Pure & Utter Mince 35%

Analysing Thistle loan players over the years, the Mincometer concludes that based on these formulae we have done reasonably OK and perhaps slightly above expectation.

The science wins !

That's him. I see it was 10 years ago! I thought he seemed decent enough in his relatively short time with us.

Was going to ask on here re an injury that affected Sives career but taken this off Wikipedia (sounds correct)

Sives signed a 5-year contract in July 2006 (with Hearts) and spent the 2006–07 season on loan with Partick Thistle to gain further experience. Despite a good start to his Thistle career, he was again sidelined by injury in early November 2006 when a groin injury suffered incapacitated him for five months. He returned for the last two months of the season[3] but it later transpired that he had been playing with a double hernia, which was repaired by an operation in May 2007

Not sure if that implies we were to blame for playing the lad. Even with a basket case club like Hearts at the time, going from a 5 year contract in the top division to journeyman pro in less years highlights how much a tightrope walk playing pro football can be.