Vs. Killie

Jaggernaut

So, will we go out and attack? Remember how we blew them away there a couple of years ago?

Or will Archie try to rely on our fragile defence and play it cautious, hoping in reality for a draw while wishing that our lone striker -- whoever it is -- will somehow score without receiving any decent service from the rest of the team?

I suspect he will stick to his (overly) cautious approach, and go for a draw.

Sooner or later this season that approach will not be enough, and at that point some difficult decisions will have to be made by Archie. He seems very conservative by nature, and while he rightly has an enormous fund of goodwill by almost everyone associated with the Club, he must realise that he has to be more adventurous in selection and tactics. I suspect that the results in December will be important in terms of whether the Board will either; back him to bring in new players, allow him to continue with the current squad and hope that the injury list shrinks, or look elsewhere for a manager. I think that unless the results are really dire, the Board will go with the second, low cost option.

Games between clubs in the lower half of the league are probably decided by chance, and not by managers, so unless things get really dreadful in December, and a really strong candidate for manager is available, his job is probably safe until at least the end of the season. By that stage he will have exhausted almost all of his goodwill, and results will be the determining factor in his future at Firhill.

• Like 1

Although a win would be great I don't feel this is a must win game.But I do think it is a game we cant afford to lose.After the first 9 games we had 3 points,the next 5 games we got 8 points, then we lost on Saturday another defeat this Saturday and It looks like a return to our first 9 games form/results.

I'm presuming Killie are still persisting with the ultra narrow pitch. If that's the case it will have a bearing on any teams set up and we'll be no different. Wouldn't be surprised then if we stay with the 4-4-2 tho' if Killie don't have the pace of the likes of the Hibs lad,Boyle, we're possibly better equipped to play a 3-4-3.

I've no idea how many games or for how long in a match we can risk Doolan. A normal month with a break following might not present too much a problem but with so many games Doolan's niggle will be a concern. So much hinges on that I'm not sure about line ups. Storey can be a nuisance in the same way Azeez could but he needs someone close up for assistance. Maybe, if Dools starts on the bench, Lawless playing more central could be the answer?

A point would be great

We’re four points from safety. In what world would a draw against a relegation threatened side who haven’t won at home in seven months be considered a ‘great’ result?

This is our fith season in the Premiership and we’re still blighted by a small club mentality. It’s almost like we apologise for being in the league.

Embarrassing.

• Like 2

We’re four points from safety. In what world would a draw against a relegation threatened side who haven’t won at home in seven months be considered a ‘great’ result?

This is our fith season in the Premiership and we’re still blighted by a small club mentality. It’s almost like we apologise for being in the league.

Embarrassing.

Maybe because we are a small club and always will be. Nothing embarassing in realising what we actually are.

• Like 1

Maybe because we are a small club and always will be. Nothing embarassing in realising what we actually are.

Are we any smaller than St Johnstone, Ross County or Inverness? Clubs who have enjoyed long periods in the top flight, European football and have lifted major trophies recently.

Of course we’re not.

We’ve earned the right to be in this league. Out of the 42 senior teams in Scotland, only the Old Firm, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and maybe the two Dundee clubs are significantly bigger than us.

• Like 1

Are we any smaller than St Johnstone, Ross County or Inverness? Clubs who have enjoyed long periods in the top flight, European football and have lifted major trophies recently.

Of course we’re not.

We’ve earned the right to be in this league. Out of the 42 senior teams in Scotland, only the Old Firm, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and maybe the two Dundee clubs are significantly bigger than us.

So why, in comparison go the above mentioned clubs, have we been poor. No decent cup runs, no European football etc.?

Cautious?

Saturday 4 at the back.

Storey, Erskine, Lawless, Spital all attackers with Edwards someone who likes a long range shot.

2 strikers brought on and Gary Fraser who has a shot in him.

His usual setup has 2 wing backs bombing on with striker and number 10.

This is one problem. It took Archie a while to find solutions to the loss of our full/wing backs. However I've noticed that even though we have been better defensively recently the guys who have covered, while doing an OK job just don't have the ability to get right down the wing and deliver crosses in the same way that Booth, Elliot and Dumbya could. I think this is why despite having spells of good possession and good football we haven't penetrated the opposition as much as we should have. We need to find a way to do this to get more goals: and we need to be more ruthless too and take more chances.

Agreed Mr B.

As others have stated, there are possibly only 4 teams clearly better than the others(Hibs included though they were unimpressive without McGinn on Saturday).

I believe the reason that we have slipped behind is that we look for a 0-0 in most games while others try to win. When the opposition scores we are in trouble. We should've beaten Accies as we were by far the better team but in the end appeared happy with a point ie happy not to lose. Then they go and beat Sevco and others. Dundee also like to push men forward and are consequently more likely to win games. We don't get enough bodies in the box.

There was a lack of ambition vs Hibs which resulted in a dreadful match and zero entertainment. I would rather win 4-2 then lose 2 games than have 3 nil-nils.

We have some skillfull attackers. Let's get them into the box. 4-4-2 please until our flying wing backs return.

I think getting a point would depend on the context. If we are playing gash and losing in injury time but nick a goal then a point would be good however that is not a mindset we should be adopting pre match. Killies home form is poor and this is a winnable game and should be approached as such. 2-1 Jags :thumbsup:

There is a distinct lack of optimism ahead of todays game. If the players are to prove we are not relegation fodder then we need to win the game. Given how we have been playing it will likely be a hard watch but we somehow need to score more than one goal. Losing today isn't an option and I hope Archie can prove me wrong and get what would be a remarkable three points

• Like 1

Win your home games and draw your away games against your serious competitors and you're unlikely to have a poor season. Very few were miffed with the point at NDP as it was sandwiched between two home wins. However given the way we were comprehensively beaten by Killie at Firhill a point today should really be considered a decent result. But that's just me playing the Devil's Dick Advocaat and I certainly won't be celebrating or even content with a draw today, especially given the home form of our opponents..

• Like 1