The Manager

javeajag

Ok lib, I stand corrected, maybe not by all accounts and, from what you've said, it seems he's not been as poor as I imagine. My impression, which stems from the (admittedly lesser) evidence of commentaries, video highlights and interviews, is that he's been frustrated at being unable to impact on these U20 games, and there's a couple of times when Scott McKenzie has been less than complimentary about his performances. As for playing to a different agenda, I'm not sure I'd agree about that, especially after the first one or two games. There's got to be more to these games than getting a run-about for the legs, surely? The inconsistency as a player for all these years is bad enough, but his inability to properly channel his aggresh is the killer blow for me - we really don't need that in this dog fight. Now is the perfect time to get rid.

it is entirely possible to be backing the manager but to have concerns about our current predicament.

I'm not in the sack him or indeed the job for life camp. I also don't get the argument that we were bad under Tommy Bryce, Dick Campbell etc so you should be satisfied that we're bottom of the top league cause we're not THAT bad. Are we not allowed to want progress as a club with stability like those massive clubs like Killie and St Johnstone?

Big few games for the manager and indeed the club. After the Dundee game, Archie gave a worrying interview stating some players were not up for it and they thought they could turn up and pick up where they left after the Motherwell game. Well they did pick up where they left off, cause the last hour was honking against Motherwell. And why could he not get the team up for the game?

Anyway... onwards to the weekend

• Like 2

I wonder if part of the solution lies in who is team captain? Archie & Shaggy can prepare the team, but when they get out there, the minute by minute motivation & effort needs to come from the captain. Do we have a leader in the pitch? I don’t think Devine is the answer.

Get Christie Ellliot back, and he is just the sort of player who can inspire those around him through his work rate & words. So Elliot as captain might just work. Of all the current injuries, I do wonder if we have been missing him the most.

• Like 1

I wonder if part of the solution lies in who is team captain? Archie & Shaggy can prepare the team, but when they get out there, the minute by minute motivation & effort needs to come from the captain. Do we have a leader in the pitch? I don’t think Devine is the answer.

Get Christie Ellliot back, and he is just the sort of player who can inspire those around him through his work rate & words. So Elliot as captain might just work. Of all the current injuries, I do wonder if we have been missing him the most.

My impression is that the team doesn't usually have that kind of on-the-park leader, but you may be right about Christie. Back in the day, Scott "Boab" McCulloch could lift the team on his own. (Perhaps that was related to the skills from his day job, as a social worker.)

Boab was indeed an inspiration. Remember watching the game we were 3-0 down at home to Gretna and him dragging the team back into I to finish 3-3.

Cannae believe there is so little footage available of his free-kicks

That game against Gretna also sticks in my mind due to a young guy playing on the wing for thistle. Gave the Gretna defence a torrid time. I said at the time he would go on to bigger things in his career, which he duly achieved. Graham Dorrans on loan at the time from livy. Edited by mulguy jag
  • Like 1

Elliot is sorely missed, he’s possibly the fittest player in the team, will play anywhere has pace, fight and always gives 110% whilst he may never be a 10 out of 10 player on the ratings he’s always a 7 or 8 and I’d have that every game of the season over someone who’s brilliant one week then disappears for the next 2.

• Like 1

it is entirely possible to be backing the manager but to have concerns about our current predicament.

I'm not in the sack him or indeed the job for life camp. I also don't get the argument that we were bad under Tommy Bryce, Dick Campbell etc so you should be satisfied that we're bottom of the top league cause we're not THAT bad. Are we not allowed to want progress as a club with stability like those massive clubs like Killie and St Johnstone?

Big few games for the manager and indeed the club. After the Dundee game, Archie gave a worrying interview stating some players were not up for it and they thought they could turn up and pick up where they left after the Motherwell game. Well they did pick up where they left off, cause the last hour was honking against Motherwell. And why could he not get the team up for the game?

Anyway... onwards to the weekend

Let’s not present Killie as stable. In the 5 seasons we have been in the top league, Killie have been in the playoff once and avoided it on the last day of the season in another