Hamilton

eljaggo

That's what football after the apocalypse will look like.

The back 3,4,5 or whatever it was stuck to the task well.Keown and Devine played a lot better split up with barton between them . Similar second half to the Well lgame , we fell and sat back far to deep but that seem to suit us in terms of results.Thought Archie was too late with the final two subs but that aside the team shoed plenty of commitment and effort if little else.

• Like 1

Thought given the swirling wind the game was OK. Play a 3-5-2 you're more inclined to lump the ball in any case and today the higher it gets the more of a lottery it becomes. Lawless gave a Doolanesque display re first touch on a lobbed ball 'cept from a defensive point of view. Felt we came close to matching Accies "professionalism", a department of the game which I reckon few teams in Scotland can come close to.

Was concerned when we went in at half time only a goal to the good. Law of averages given the half chances we had we should have at least got a second goal. Woods's corners, especially from the right, have been superb. Don't know how many he's taken from that side but can't mind a poor one.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Barton motm at Libero. He’s been abysmal in midfield. He was the only one with a bit of football.

I therefore don’t want to see him playing anywhere but Libero. Drop Devine.

Can’t fault the boys for effort and matched Accies’ desire. Thought Doolan and Spittal should’ve been off earlier. But he knew Woods would need replaced. He looks a very important signing.

Well done to Storey who sidestepped moronic no. 89 at the end.

I know McKinnon’s just a crap Scott Brown and a bit of a ned. But I thought he was terrific and we could do with someone like that.

With the insight which has given him a lucrative career in sport journalism,Chick Young reported that it was a tremendous game - it wasn't, unless you enjoy watching an endless succession of throw-ins. There was a difficult swirling gusty wind but it was a poor quality game. Hamilton might just about deserved a draw but they weren't very good and although the flaws remain, we really stuck in and got the reward of 3 points. Lawless personified that - he is never a left wing back but he was admirably tenacious.

Barton looked far better as a central defender and Woods, who I suspect is a bog-standard Premier League midfielder, is an upgrade by simply doing the basics of covering & tackling - in contrast, although he made a good pass to put McGinn clear late on, I can hardly remember Ryan Edwards being in possession or winning the ball during the entire game.

Particularly if we beat Ross County next week, we will have done remarkably well to keep in the pack despite playing poorly and missing some of our better players - credit due to Archie and the players. Undoubtedly, a fit Osman & Bannigan will considerably strengthen our midfield, Dumbuya, if he ever plays, will add pace - McGinn does ok but is not an attacking threat, and Penrice is an actual left back. Worryingly, Chick predicted that he didn't think Thistle would be in danger of relegation.

I'm not sure what the shenanigans between Storey and the guy with the daft beard was about but it added to the afternoon's entertainment. Both lucky not to be red-carded though otherwise it again seemed that Referees find it easier to book Thistle than opposition players.

Good to get a win but I will miss the usual contributions from the lynch-mob posters after a bad result calling for Steve Clarke or Tony Pulis to be appointed as our manager.

• Like 3

From the highlights: some good attacking moves from us, with Erskine running through their defence good to see; he was unlucky with two chances. Couple of good saves by Cerny. The second-half backing off all too obvious again. Yes, we got away with it this time, but as most of our results have shown, we usually don't get away with it.

Even one point at Aberdeen would be welcome. Regardless of that game, a win against Ross County and things will start to look more comfortable for us going into the break.

Lets just gets things into perspective for a moment. We managed a pretty scrappy 1-0 victory at home against arguably one of the worst teams in the league bar ourselves. Archie is by no means out of the woods yet. Folks predicted after the Dundee/St.Johnstone matches, and the Motherwell game that we had turned a corner, but it didn't come to pass. This has still been a p!ss poor season by all accounts, and I will still need a little more convincing that we are on the up.

But credit where credit is due. I thought we looked a lot more defensively sound today, despite falling into our old habit of falling deeper and deeper as the second half wore on. Barton looked much more assured, and Lawless did a good job in a foreign position. But despite that, it did seem that every clearance was simply booted straight to a Hamilton player, or cannoned and ricocheted off one of our own defenders. We didn't see a lot of the ball, and despite a few decent chances, managed just 6 shots all afternoon. Our lack of creativity, speed, and flair is painful to watch at times, but all being said, I do think we need to build a foundation from the back. Hopefully Archie can move some of the deadwood out, and bring in 2 or 3 over the window that will see us safe.

Barton certainly better at the back, absolute kech in the midfield where his agent has obviously filled his head with mince and convinced him that's his position. Still cant finish games off and that's what's going to kill us unless we can get the attack organised. As they said on the telly tonight, "you don't have to burst the net, you just need to know where the net is". holding on for grim death is not good enough, Hamilton could have stolen it and the knives would have been well sharpened. Todays result was nothing more than relief we got three points, follow it up against Aberdeen and County.

They are a very Dirty team, how many dives did they get away with, I honestly do not think Storey Dived when he got a Yellow card, would ned to see the game again though.

It looked a clear dive from my seat. Then again so was the dive from no. 89 near the goal line when Madden saw it as a foul

They are a very Dirty team, how many dives did they get away with, I honestly do not think Storey Dived when he got a Yellow card, would ned to see the game again though.

Storeys dive was embarrassingly bad from my view. The only thing that was missing was his tutu. I assume that's why he squared up to sarris later on as he felt sarris dived (which he did - badly too) in order to get him sent off after a couple of fouls.

However like you say, Redmond and Templeton were equally as guilty.

Edited by kennymac29
  • Like 2

Genuinely wouldn't have been surprised if Archie had subbed Storey off when Sammon was coming on.

Yep, I’m not sure I’ve seen a less effective performance from a sub for a long time.

Spittal gave him a bollocking near the end for his failure to keep hold of the ball.

His dive was shocking as well.

Shamefully this was my first game of the season.

I have been worried about the pumpings we have had this season against bottom 6 teams - that simply didn't happen last year- one loss only all season to bottom 6 teams.

Didn't see much yesterday to relieve those fears especially 2nd half when we were woeful

First half was better after we scored, before that Accies looked sharper.

Our season will be decided in February - Well, County, Accies and Dundee back to back

As usual some entertaining posts, quite a few not very complimentary onez about the entertainment. I went home thoroughly entertained. Some great passages of play from back to front for us and their work rate is top drawer and for the first time this season we matched a hard working team. Erskine was super and though i agree edwards lacked possession and i dont remember him making any tackles his harrassment of their back two and midfield didnt give them a moment. Thats what we have lacked this term, not chasing opposition players down and allowing them too much time on the ball. Onwards and upwards, visit to pittodrie is a little more exciting than it might have been

Merry Christmas to all

Barton motm at Libero. He’s been abysmal in midfield. He was the only one with a bit of football.

I therefore don’t want to see him playing anywhere but Libero. Drop Devine.

Can’t fault the boys for effort and matched Accies’ desire. Thought Doolan and Spittal should’ve been off earlier. But he knew Woods would need replaced. He looks a very important signing.

Well done to Storey who sidestepped moronic no. 89 at the end.

I know McKinnon’s just a crap Scott Brown and a bit of a ned. But I thought he was terrific and we could do with someone like that.

Agree with everything 100% apart from Libero...I still like sweeper!

MacKinnon has been a very important player for Accies the last season and a half. Bit of the Paul Paton in more ways than one about him but more mobile and intelligent a player. His discipline (he'd say his reputation) is shocking. But yes, someone like that with better discipline is what we've been missing. Probably wouldn't be nearly so many grumbles re Barton playing in midfield when alongside the likes.

• Like 1

The attendence today was around 2900 of which 350 were Hamilton fans. To muster only around 2500 fans for such a key game is very disappointing, but maybe it's partly down to Christmas, and so maybe a couple of wins will see an improvement after the break.

I was worried the crowd could drop below 2500 so I was pleasantly surprised by that yesterday. Hear the hospitality was at capacity which will have helped - how many does the Alan Rough lounge take these days?

I thought Storey did ok. His job was to hold it up top and frustrate them- which he certainly did to big Beardo 89

Liked it when the defender lapse put squid through on goal. You could see that Erskine was just waiting to pounce if he hesitated- and he did!

My favourite on pitch row I witnessed was Dools on Amoo in his last game 6 nil against Aberdeen

As we lined up for yet another kick off, Dools pointed at him and said “ you! There! “ to get him back into RB position