Colts

BowenBoys

Here we go then, the colts are coming.

Although this is, in theory, open to all, Celtic and Rangers are negotiating directly with League Two clubs. They are offering sweeteners to these clubs at meetings with no SPFL representatives present.

Again, while open to all Premiership clubs to join, a league structure is being arranged that allows only for Celtic and Rangers.

11 Premiership clubs need to approve the plan. Reminiscent of the Sevco debacle, the SPFL are trying to shoehorn this move. Fans of other clubs are, again, talking about turning their back on football. As in 2012, fan power can be influential.

THIS DOES NOT BENEFIT SCOTTISH FOOTBAL. IT BENEFITS ONLY TWO TEAMS.....THEM AND THEM!!

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE. THE AUTHORITIES ARE BENDING OVER FOR THEM ONCE AGAIN, SHOWING THE TWO CLUBS (IN TH AUTHORITIES OPINION) ARE MUCH MUCH BIGGER THAT THE GAME AS A WHOLE.

THE SOONER THE DISGRACE AND EMBARASSMENT THAT ARE CELTIC AND RANGERS LEAVE SCOTTISH FOOTBALL THE BETTER........pure dead ragin!!!

This kind of shit is going to kill the game. The colts have been an unremitting failure in the challenge cup, crowds involving these sides have been completely embarrassing, and yet they’re going to be put into the league for the exclusive benefit of two clubs.

I can see no argument that this will benefit anything other than the old firm. its an absolute disgrace.

If you’re reading this Neil Doncaster, **** off and ruin football somewhere else. You are the most incompetent **** in any position in any organisation, and I hate you.

• Like 1

What a stupid proposal. Now we have promotion/relegation into League Two from Highland/Lowland leagues, that’s where new teams should come from.

I’m getting tired of the way the OF seem to dominate Scottish football.

I'm afraid it's more than "seem". Can you imagine the reaction if any of the other premiership clubs came out and said they'd be interested in having a colts team?

So if neither of the Colt teams can win promotion or be relegated, how is that going to work with the playoffs? say they finish 1st and 2nd, so then 3rd will be champs and 4th 5th 6th will be involved in playoffs with the 9th placed team in div 2? also say its going into the last game of the season and you are playing one of the OF whose results don’t count and they’ve nothing to play for, whilst 2 rivals are playing each other for promotion/playoffs, its going to be such an unfair and pointless league.

Could this be a long therm ploy to allow them to end up with teams in England and Scotland? They could each buy a small English club (Rangers were to use Carlisle in this way before they went belly-up), fund it to gain promotion, while using the Colts as the long term first team in Scotland. I wouldn't trust these gonzos one inch, or Doncaster and his mob to lift a finger to stop them. The £15,000 bribe will be negotiable, so there will be takers.

• Like 1

Could this be a long therm ploy to allow them to end up with teams in England and Scotland? They could each buy a small English club (Rangers were to use Carlisle in this way before they went belly-up), fund it to gain promotion, while using the Colts as the long term first team in Scotland. I wouldn't trust these gonzos one inch, or Doncaster and his mob to lift a finger to stop them. The £15,000 bribe will be negotiable, so there will be takers.

Think there's an FA rule that a club can't relocate more than a certain number of miles from where they are based. Can't mind the actual miles (the rule was brought in after MK Dons) but certainly would preclude Carlisle moving to Ibrox.

It's an outrageously patronising and pointless suggestion.

More than bad enough coming from the Tims, but the other lot? Half a dozen years of 'history', and a worse run club you'll struggle to find at any level of the sport. Headed up by a South Africa domeciled crook, gangster and epic tax cheat. An outfit steeped in bigotry, debt, persecution complex and large-scale mismanagement. Right enough, probably just what the SFA regard as model members.

• Like 2

Think there's an FA rule that a club can't relocate more than a certain number of miles from where they are based. Can't mind the actual miles (the rule was brought in after MK Dons) but certainly would preclude Carlisle moving to Ibrox.

There has to be a way around such a rule LIB. Sevco bought Carlisle as a way into the English leagues, so they must have been confident they could eventually play their games in Glasgow. Presumably too there is no England only restriction given the varying Welsh contingent. Edited by eljaggo

There has to be a way around such a rule LIB. Sevco bought Carlisle as a way into the English leagues, so they must have been confident they could eventually play their games in Glasgow. Presumably too there is no England only restriction given the varying Welsh contingent.

The Welsh contingent is entirely historic and the fact that Wales didn't have a professional league.

If ever there was an admission that Scottish Football is run for the benefit of 2 teams this is it. Thistle should have no part in this but I’m willing to be we vote it through.

Let’s make the 2 biggest teams stronger, aye that sounds like a plan. I’m sure Aberdeen, Hearts etc might have something to say as to why these 2 teams. Scottish Football is a racket.

• Like 2

The only way to stop this happening is to let the club know what you think about it, and tell them you won't buy a season ticket if they vote in favour of it. That's what happened in 2012 when the SFA / SPL tried to shoehorn the New Rangers into the top league then the Championship - the clubs chickened out when they realised the impact on their revenue.

As has been suggested previously, don't think Thistle are whiter than white when these things come up. I, along with 3 or 4 other Thistle fans I know, wrote to the club when Celtic were (rightly in my view) pushing for a review into the circumstances around the Rangers collapse and all that followed it. You won't be surprised to hear we had no appetite for it.

While it sticks in the throat to admit it, Celtic knew exactly what corruption that would expose (it's freely available across the web) but Thistle followed the party line about 'not raking over old coals'. I can't for the life of me understand why we're content to be subservient to that lot, and this is the latest example where we'll just roll over and do as we're told.

God, I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I'm just sick of the whole corrupt sham.

• Like 2

Thistleberight, start with the Scottish Football Monitor web-site and take it from there. Plenty of articles going back a good bit and (usually) well-informed comments from a wide cross-section of fans. You'll also find links to various other sites, some more partisan than others, so you'll need to consider the motivation of the authors from time to time.

It won't take long before you realise you're never going to buy a Scottish newspaper ever again .......

Buckstone, would you be willing to post the clubs response to your letter here? I'd be interested in seeing it and I'm sure others would too.

Whether the club agree to this colts nonsense or not, if it gets introduced I won't be renewing my season tickets. The league set up is bad enough as it is without that happening.

Scottish Football is dying on it's ar$e. It's not a conspiracy, it's corruption by the ones in charge lining their pockets combined with complacency by us fans.

Sinistar, I've long since binned the reply in disappointment (if not disgust). From memory though, the reply was along the lines that the authorities

had much more information than Thistle and took expert legal advice both then and more recently which confirmed the actions taken were correct and a review would have no scope to alter any decisions. Then there was some waffle about how

Thistle were very keen to ensure that lessons had been learned and rules, procedures and practices are now in place to prevent it happening again.

The message I took from it was "yeah, they were at it for years but we don't want to look into too deeply because we're all implicated to a degree, but trust us - it can't happen again".

But I don't, and haven't been back to Firhill since (which breaks my heart).

• Like 1

Thanks Buckstone. For what it's worth, I 100% support and commend you for writing that letter to the club and I understand your disappointment at the response.

I often wonder if the The Thistle v Rangers cup semi final would have turned out differently if they didn't have the 9 players with enhanced wages via EBTs playing for them. We'll never know, however other clubs were cheated much more than us. A review in my view would have helped repair and heal some of the damage; shameful how most clubs said nothing and told us all to move on.

Sad that it's resulted in fans staying away. Doncaster and Regan have a lot to answer for.

That's a very good example.

Imagine the roles were reversed and, after beating them 3-0, it was discovered that 9 of our team had issues with their contract registrations and were thus ineligible to play.

Do you think the SFA would allow that to go unpunished ?

That's an oversimplification, but is essentially the crux of the matter. I was hacked off on the way home from Hampden that day, but thats nothing compared to what I feel about it now.

• Like 1

We seem to live in an age where exposing the truth is now referred to as digging up the past, with the implication that we should simply let sleeping dogs lie. Forgive me when mentioning Saville and other sickening historical abuse cases but it now takes something of that horrendous magnitude to awaken the press/media. Long gone are the days when mainstream investigative journalism was the norm and heralded (npi) by the populace at large.

The Alex Thomson fella (Ch4 News) is an exception to the rule and did Scottish football a great service when reading between the lines during the sevco palaver. But that was largely post 2012 and I was rather hoping he'd do the same re that vile institution pre liquidation. He might still but for a guy who's been reporting on for instance, Syria, he'll no doubt have far more serious issues to report on.

When you hear the words quoted publicly "the past is the past, so let's move on" or "we should be looking to the future not dredging up that again" then that should be ringing very loud bells within the press/media. Alas when it's referring to Scottish football matters it's only the Scottish press/media that hear those bells. More correctly mainly the Scottish sports press/media, without doubt one of the most sycophantic establishments of so called journalism within the UK.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 9

We seem to live in an age where exposing the truth is now referred to as digging up the past, with the implication that we should simply let sleeping dogs lie. Forgive me when mentioning Saville and other sickening historical abuse cases but it now takes something of that horrendous magnitude to awaken the press/media. Long gone are the days when mainstream investigative journalism was the norm and heralded (npi) by the populace at large.

The Alex Thomson fella (Ch4 News) is an exception to the rule and did Scottish football a great service when reading between the lines during the sevco palaver. But that was largely post 2012 and I was rather hoping he'd do the same re that vile institution pre liquidation. He might still but for a guy who's been reporting on for instance, Syria, he'll no doubt have far more serious issues to report on.

When you hear the words quoted publicly "the past is the past, so let's move on" or "we should be looking to the future not dredging up that again" then that should be ringing very loud bells within the press/media. Alas when it's referring to Scottish football matters it's only the Scottish press/media that hear those bells. More correctly mainly the Scottish sports press/media, without doubt one of the most sycophantic establishments of so called journalism within the UK.

Tremendous post