Colts

BowenBoys

Would the c**ts then be eligible for the Scottish Cup? If so, would they be kept away from their parent clubs? But what if all four made it to the semi-finals.... would the teams the c**ts beat in the quarter-finals automatically replace them, or would all four beaten quarter-finalists play-off against each other?

Total omnishambles of a plot.

I don't mind a Colts idea for any team that can afford it. The majority of players wont make it to first team so other teams benefit by picking them.up.

Seems to work in most other sports. Though I believe colt teams should be restricted to regional leagues. Playoff positions of in the pyramid structure can go to the highest placed eligible team, discount fixtures Vs colt teams if necessary.

Seems to work in most other sports. Though I believe colt teams should be restricted to regional leagues. Playoff positions of in the pyramid structure can go to the highest placed eligible team, discount fixtures Vs colt teams if necessary.

Would you be happy watching your team in a league consisting of youth teams?

The whole thing is an absolute disgrace. The club should be publicly calling this out as the nonsense it is. It will benefit nobody, except maybe the Old Firm clubs, and should be shot down immediately. Youth sides/reserve sides should play in leagues with other reserves/youth sides. It’s that simple.

• Like 1

If you were the chairman of Spartans or East Kilbride, itching to get into League 2, how would you feel about this proposal ?

Rangers and Celtic have huge squads, most of whom will never get near the first team. If they're that concerned about these players getting game time, loan them out to other clubs.

Scottish football isn't run just for their benefit ..... oh, hang on a minute, maybe it is.

• Like 1

EK and Spartans operate at a certain level and do good things there. Diffucult to compare.

Let’s take another example, Kelty Hearts have just moved from Junior football into the east of Scotland League with the explicit intent of moving up the pyramid. How galling must it be for them, who’ve put years of hard work into getting licensed and had to commit to the pyramid starting at tier 6, to see youth teams stuck straight into league 2.

This proposal is an insult to every lower league club, you’d be as well saying that competing on merit doesn’t matter.

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks Buckstone. I don't think i'll ever leave the house again unless where i go has wifi, this site is dynamite, wonder why no "news"papers do this/print this stuff.

Sure wish you'd come back to games though.

Ta much for the site

Let’s take another example, Kelty Hearts have just moved from Junior football into the east of Scotland League with the explicit intent of moving up the pyramid. How galling must it be for them, who’ve put years of hard work into getting licensed and had to commit to the pyramid starting at tier 6, to see youth teams stuck straight into league 2.

This proposal is an insult to every lower league club, you’d be as well saying that competing on merit doesn’t matter.

Seeing how the SFA/SPL bends over backwards for Ragers - and refuses to implement their own rules on improper registration for the same club - I'd say that that's true, at least regarding one club anyway.

I’ve seen the deleterious effects of having teams in competitions whose main goal isn’t to win the competition they’re in. It’s an awful, corrosive thing to happen to what were once meaningful competitions, albeit at a lower level than the corporate entities trying to *******ise it.

There’s a 372 page thread here for any masochists, some lessons to be learned though.

Resist this for all its worth if you want Thistle’s achievements to mean anything into the future. Trust me.

http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39508

• Like 1

Although I am not an expert in such matters, I would imagine that the OF currently attract a large number of young players, who are thus denied to other clubs, such as ourselves and our near competitors. Many of these young players will not make the grade and although some will no doubt be "recycled" by Thistle and others, many will give up in disappointment and be lost to the game.

I can only see the above scenario becoming worse if OF Colt teams are allowed to compete in the leagues. They can then offer young players an increased possibility of playing league football and thus cream off a higher proportion of the available pool. Whereas now, some younger players may make a sensible objective assessment and choose a non-OF route because of the greater possibility of securing league playing time, that argument would be negated. All we would be doing is to increase the OF wastage of potential talent.

I fail to see any advantage for Scottish football as a whole or even for the League 2 clubs. Would attendance at Colt games be so high that it would make a big difference to such clubs' income? As for other Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs, why on earth would they vote for a measure which benefits nobody but the OF? I have not read the proposals in great detail. Are there some built-in bribes and/or sweeteners that would tempt clubs to take the OF shilling? Are we and others really that desperate or short term in our thinking?

I don't believe there's any limit to how many youngsters a club can send out on development loans. If there is then that could be relaxed. Cetic, sevco or whoever can send young players out to whatever league they wish, clubs where they've got a fair chance of first team football. The recipient club benefit as does the lending club. The nature of development loans is such that if a player isn't getting game (or even if he is) he can still play in the development league for his own club.That's effectively the status quo and I don't see what's wrong with that.

Even if there wasn't any objection parachuting an U20 team into a division is kinda daft. What's the likelihood the team will be the same standard as the rest of the division? By logic they'll either be too good or too poor. Winning all the time or losing all the time is no way to develop youth football.