Sellick Home 23/1

West Ender

I don't think we bottled it LIB.Imo we played quite well.We got beat by the side that are going to win the league for a number of seasons to come .I felt that for a good bit of the game we were well organised.We did tire but I think that playing the sort of game we were playing that is not a surprise plus we had a difficult away cup tie on Saturday while Celtic were cruising past Brechin.We now have games where we should be looking to pick up a good amount of points coming up.Starting with Perth on Saturday we have to show that tonights performance was not a one off.If we do that we should be ok.

• Like 3

So is it our results against an already established top 6 that don't make us an established top 6 team, or is it bottle?

How many other reasons do you have for us not being one of the 7 established top 6 teams?

Do Motherwell & Kilmarnock share the same reasons? Dundee?

What about when you get to our realistic level of Hamilton & Ross County? Do they have different reasons for not being an established top 6 team?

Interesting that both have recently done better against the erse-cheeks than we have, and some would argue that they are considerably more successful than us in recent years, despite being at our "realistic" level.

So, bottling it? Yes, we do; time and time again.

nope Storey produced great save from Gordon in first half, Sammon nearly got a goal by header in second half and Edwards nearly got a goal in second, even in last few minutes ball just went by post that just needed a slight touch and would have been another goal for us

Maybe. Is "shots on target" an accurate reflection of real chances?: Us 3, them 10.

All shots: us 7, them 28.

Possession: us 34%, them 66%.

Corners: us 3, them 7.

Looks like there was only ever going to be one winner there, though the Ayr vs. Arbroath stats last Saturday show that those simple stats don't always reflect the result.

Am I the only one concerned with Keown? Some of the things he does at times is really schoolboy stuff. IMO he has regressed badly this season. Hoping the introduction of Cargill will help bring back a player who was solid for us this time last season.

Edited by MonehJags

If that's all there was then that's deplorable. That's the kind of stuff you would expect at NDP and has to be a record low for us.

I as going to suggest that we should demand Celtic give us a better section at parkhead for he upcoming cup game than the wee corner, but with figures like that we don't have a leg to stand on

Edited by MonehJags

Cerny made absolutely no attempt to play the ball against Dundee. He stayed on, saved the pen and we won the match.

The guidance given to the refs at the beginning of the season was clear, no straight red if a penalty is also awarded unless there is violent conduct or recklessness (i.e., it would be a red anywhere else on the field). The logic behind this seems reasonable- you can’t say that a clear goalscoring opportunity has been truly denied if a penalty is awarded, as a penalty is in itself a clear goalscoring opportunity

Was it a violent or reckless pull of the shirt in the cup final by the Motherwell player?

Why would it be a straight red? I thought the rules (or guidelines) were changed at the beginning of the season so that denying a clear goalscoring opportunity is only a yellow if a penalty is also awarded. Cerny benefitted from this rule change against Dundee, IIRC

The discussion on the tele was that because Lustig made no attempt to play the ball he should have been off. However, Beaton obviously didn’t think it was a clear goal scoring opportunity

While St Johnstone provide hope of becoming “an established top 6 team”, ultimately they are an outlier. Outwith the obviously bigger Glasgow and Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen, the norm is for a team to have one or two good seasons and then fall back. Since we were promoted, Motherwell, Killie, ICT, County, Dundee and D Utd, and ourselves have all finished top 6, but none ever looked like establishing themselves there (unless we have another great second half of the pre splt season!)

Not to mention 2 of those sides relegated and 2 been in the playoffs.

The discussion on the tele was that because Lustig made no attempt to play the ball he should have been off. However, Beaton obviously didn’t think it was a clear goal scoring opportunity

Beaton obviously didn't want to disadvantage Celtic any further against wee Thistle might be more like it.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Was it a violent or reckless pull of the shirt in the cup final by the Motherwell player?

Maybe, I should check before I debate. I’ve looked st the guidance and you are entirely correct:

“But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.”

We were even luckier against Dundee than I thought at the time (and I thought we were extremely lucky to get anything even when I thought the decision correct) because there was no way Cerny attempted to play the ball there

We didn’t expect to win and we didn’t so no surprise but we did perform better in an attackung sense than in previous matches .....however cerny made a number of important saves and our defending is still a worry

- we gave the ball away far too often

- we back off and back off and back off

Against the grain comment.....if pernice is considered good enough to be in the team and get praise then it should also be ok to look at areas where he can improve ....getting over hyped in my view as is common with young players .....he was good going forward and poor defensively , maybe not a surprise given he was with Livy but let’s not get carried away

I was not at the match and have not seen anything of it on TV so cannot comment, except to say that the fact that we were able to make as many changes in the starting line-up, and give what sounded like a creditable performance, has to be a big plus for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

Cerny made absolutely no attempt to play the ball against Dundee. He stayed on, saved the pen and we won the match.

I won't involve myself in the new rules (interpretation) as (like the BBC radio pundits) I'm not exactly au fait about them. The incident you mention I can remember Cerny was according to widespread comments adjudged to have attempted to play the ball. That's why he stayed on the pitch. I felt it was a hairline decision that could've gone either way and Tomas was maybe lucky to get the benefit of the doubt. It was tho' a case of a right/wrong decision rather than the referee/linesman not applying the rules.

I'd be interested to know the definitive answer as to whether Lustig should've been sent off. More from an educational rather than a straw clutching point of view.

6,920 was given as the attendance. Anyone else at the game staring across at the full JHS wonder how they arrived at that figure? The JHS was originally designed for 6,263 but for argument's sake let's say a nice round 6,000. 920 home fans between the main stand and behind the goals? Neither was anywhere near full...but 920? I know that may fans prefer not to attend Old Firm matches for a variety of reasons but if it's true then less than 1,000 is extremely worrying.

6,920 was given as the attendance. Anyone else at the game staring across at the full JHS wonder how they arrived at that figure? The JHS was originally designed for 6,263 but for argument's sake let's say a nice round 6,000. 920 home fans between the main stand and behind the goals? Neither was anywhere near full...but 920? I know that may fans prefer not to attend Old Firm matches for a variety of reasons but if it's true then less than 1,000 is extremely worrying.

I wasn’t there, but watched on TV. The Thistle ends certainly looked quieter than normal for games against them. However, I am sure earlier on in the season Maxwell said that JHS held 5,000 after reducing the number of seats for press box, hospitality seats and the ambassadors area. Since then we have also put in the space for disabled supporters. So maybe 920 is a low estimate for Jags fans

We took over 1000 to Dumfries on Saturday. That was an enjoyable day out to somewhere we hadn't been for a couple of years.

I had no inclination to attend last night (or any time) the ugly sisters come. I fully understand the financial reasons for the club giving over the JHS to them but I don't want to be there.

We give Septic and Servco the best seats in the house and in return we're squeezed into the corners.