St Johnstone 27/1/18

Auld Jag

With every respect to Adam and Ryan, Abdul and Martin are a serious cut above as defensive midfielders in my opinion.

Definitely better defensive midfielders and give us an anchor at last in the centre. A by product of that means Edwards and others can concentrate on the positive. Ryan effectively came off the bench and won us the game today. St Johnstone players wouldn't have been too happy to see him introduced at a time when they were tiring. Credit to Woods, Abdul and a few others for being first to the ball so often, creating the ideal time to introduce Edwards. Credit also to Archie for getting the gameplan right.

No idea about the validity of the penalty but Tomas went real mental and if it wasn't for some desperate calm-downing from a few of our lads a 2nd yellow was kinda likely. Penalty aside, there wasn't too many big decisions to make but that ref today was atrocious. Lost count of the lesser decisions he got wrong. True, he wasn't helped by his linemen but he looked out of his depth.

Don't understand people who don't rate Edwards. I'd hate to play against him.

Edwards has a great deal of qualities however he has very little finesse and basic technique. It's very difficult to criticise him for his effort but very often his quality let's him down. If you look at Tuesdays performance he couldn't even pass Five metres, today he ran his socks off created one and scored another. There was only one pass in those two goals and everything else was natural and organic.

All rise for the Thistle.

This is a magnificent result. Wasn't at the game but both botty cheeks (of mine) finally unclenched only a few minutes ago, since that 74th minute penalty.

Going off the reports above, it seems that not only did Archie get his game plan right today, but he sketched out both this week's games together and called it spot on. Good display on Tuesday, and an even better one today (seemingly).

We're not home and dry yet by a long way, but there's something pleasingly familiar about how we're getting it together at the crucial time. Don't want to tempt fate, but I feel other teams round about us must be wondering where Archie gets his magic beans. We're perpetually written off but we bounce back like it's pre-ordained. Enough of that.

We Are Thistle. Intae this Motherwell mob next week. Nothing to fear.

• Like 3

Edwards has a great deal of qualities however he has very little finesse and basic technique. It's very difficult to criticise him for his effort but very often his quality let's him down. If you look at Tuesdays performance he couldn't even pass Five metres, today he ran his socks off created one and scored another. There was only one pass in those two goals and everything else was natural and organic.

Ryan is also getting a fair few important goals for us this season
  • Like 1

I thought getting the first goal so early yesterday was a huge benefit, since it forced StJ to abandon their ususal cautious hit on the break tactic, and opened up the game. Our second and third goals came from quick break outs (Storey did a great job on the right wing), and there were other chances that came to us in the same way. Erskine I don't think is fully fit and tired badly, before Edwards effectively won the game by his speed and tenacity.

Good performance, Osman makes a massive difference as does having a proper left back. Cargill looks like an upgrade on Turnbull. Woods was a bit twitchy at the start with some passes but grew into the game had a good one. Ref had a shocker but did us a favour with the disallowed goal. Scenes at the end with the players celebrating the win esp Tam and Osman

Edwards when played with a good holding midfielder (Osman or Woods) is a real asset to the team with his speed, fitness and continual harassing of players, plus he likes to drive forward. He can never be criticized for hiding or not putting a shift in, gives 110%

• Like 2

I felt confident yesterday as soon I saw the line-up. Defense looked solid and with Booth there gave us a real threat on the left going forward. Midfield holding pair looked solid, good creativity in Erskine and Lawless and pace with Sammon and Storey. Plus the whole balance of the team from right to left looked the strongest it's been all season.

I thought everyone played their position very well. Pleasing to see Lawless and Storey play so well on the left and right and getting back to defend well too. If I could criticise anyone it would be Erskine (who, as we all know, is definitely one of our best on his day) - he seemed to be back on his heels and lacking match-fitness.

Don't know why Cerny went mental at the penalty award - I couldn't see it clearly at the game, but it looks a penalty in the highlights. Could've got himself sent off too with his reaction....

Edwards was great when he came on. Good assist for Sammon's goal and good finish for his goal.

Feeling much more confident that we can avoid relegation than I was previously. :-)

Self interest dictates otherwise but I still don't want Ross to lose this afternoon.

Whilst I don't want Sevco to finish second so that I don't need to read all the bile from the media about "natural order being restored" etc, right now I want us as far away from Ross County as possible. So for me I'd prefer them to lose today to keep the gap between them and us at 6 points. A win or a draw and good performance from county could give them a lift and that's not what we want.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, does anyone find it weird that Penrice goes from being MOTM to not even making the bench?

Booth would've been MotM for many at Palmerston. Yesterday's selection was no more than an amalgam of squad rotation and horses for courses. Maybe a slight gamble in so much as there was no like for like cover for Booth on the bench. Also it's important for those returning to get game time. Penrice is match fit having played partly at least thru the January break.

With hindsight this poor ref could have booked Cerny for the time wasting and then the penalty so maybe a break that we have so far been short off.

Tomas used to be a time waster, but he changed a few seasons back when he became a much more effective game manager.

• Like 2

Watched Sportscene 'highlights' with the usual in-depth analysis? I'm sure Thompson deliberately refers to us as Partick to wind us up and it does!

That always annoys me with Steven Thompson - would he refer to Villa v. Palace or Aston v. Crystal? ...or Ross v. Greenock?...or Glasgow v. Berwick? Someone tell him "We are Thistle"!

Edited by Winter of '63