Next 3 games

Auld Jag

Now we are out the cup we can concentrate on the league. The next 3 games have us playing the teams around us.Dundee(h) Hamilton and Ross County both away.Imo we need at least 7 points ideally we will get 9 points. Although we have lost our last 2 games I feel we are playing well enough to get at least 7 points.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Did the poster actually say that?

Not directly- but it was implied. We play one up front most of the time- do it’s Sammon or Doolan (unless Sammon is played on the wing).

Ultimately, of course, my comment is a somewhat tongue in cheek response to the suggestion that we have no chance v. Hamilton or Dundee if we play the same line up that narrowly lost 3-2 at Parkhead 

There’s been a lot of criticism directed towards Archibald for his record against the Old Firm and for his approach to these games. A lot of this criticism has been perfectly valid.

Conversely, his record against the bottom six clubs, particularly over the last two seasons, has been excellent. He seems to have the knack of winning crucial ‘six pointers’ against our peers.

We’re all disappointed to be out the cup, but we shouldn’t lose all hope.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

All depends on what team Archie decides to play on the day....Sammon ,Storey on the bench Barton in midfield we will have no chance.....

Do you think Archie selected the team today because he thought it was the best team to beat Celtic?  Or was he managing the squad for the next few games?

2 minutes ago, Tom Stronach said:

There’s been a lot of criticism directed towards Archibald for his record against the Old Firm and for his approach to these games. A lot of this criticism has been perfectly valid.

Conversely, his record against the bottom six clubs, particularly over the last two seasons, has been excellent. He seems to have the knack of winning crucial ‘six pointers’ against our peers.

We’re all disappointed to be out the cup, but we shouldn’t lose all hope.

For a team formerly known as the unpredictables, it’s weird how predictable we have been over the last couple of seasons or so. We almost invariably lose to the “bigger” clubs (unless their doing badly themselves), but do very well against clubs in the bottom six. Undoubtedly it would be more fun if we mixed it up a bit.  Still, it’s a relative feast compared to what went immediately before

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

Do you think Archie selected the team today because he thought it was the best team to beat Celtic?  Or was he managing the squad for the next few games?

I think he does that every time we play them and I think it's part of the reason for our poor record. But to be honest, I'd take losing every game to that two if it meant continually staying in the top league and challenging for the top six.

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Not directly- but it was implied. We play one up front most of the time- do it’s Sammon or Doolan (unless Sammon is played on the wing).

Ultimately, of course, my comment is a somewhat tongue in cheek response to the suggestion that we have no chance v. Hamilton or Dundee if we play the same line up that narrowly lost 3-2 at Parkhead 

It was implied that Doolan is rubbish? Maybe inside your own head. Certainly nowhere has that been implied.

5 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

It was implied that Doolan is rubbish? Maybe inside your own head. Certainly nowhere has that been implied.

Well it's hardly a ringing endorsement. There seemed to me a clear implication that if we pick today's team again against County, Hamilton and Dundee we have no chance of doing well. I'm genuinely surprised you can't see where I'm coming from, even with my concession that there was a tongue in cheek element. I suppose we should agree to differ on the implication aspect.

I think of the 3 games coming up County will be the trickiest.

Fairly confident of 6 points from Dundee and Hamilton. We are playing well at the moment and just need a bit of good fortune- Edwards goal against Sevco / Salmon hitting post and not going /  Barton not playing in midfield.!

Looking at our run of fixtures between now and the split, it really brings home how damaging today’s collapse could be.

Hamilton (A), County (A), Aberdeen (H), Hearts (A), Hibs (A) and Killie (H).

In my opinion, we really need six points from our next two games to give us a fighting chance. Given we’ve managed a solitary victory on the road so far this season, that will be easier said than done.

Archie’s record against the top six clubs has been well documented recently, so we can pretty much forget taking any points from our last four games pre-split.

It really has been a dreadful season.

Edited by Tom Stronach

A big week for Thistle.Lets hope our management team gives our players a good amount of training in how to defend.Our set pieces also need some work.With the bottom 4 playing each other this could be a big weekend.A win for us is vital as out of all our remaining fixtures before the split this is the most winnable imo.I would also like to St.Johnstone beating Ross County as I don't think St.Johnstone will be in the bottom 2.