John Lambie

AlgarveJag

I think there will be a massive turnout for our next home game, a coming together.

Looking forward to chanting Johny Lambies Red and Yellow Army with all of youz one final time.

So terribly sad he's gone but will always have my best ever memories of being a Jags fan thanks to John.

• Like 2

Just to echo all that's been said, great memories despite only being old enough to follow Thistle in his third stint. Gutted I never got to meet him directly. But great memories, like promotion at Love Street in '02.  Was in the home end with my also late dad (St Mirren fan) as Thistle end was sold out. Always remember JL afterwards talking about how the fans have been great, how deserved it was after all the club had been through. And years later on "Grasping the Thistle", in the dressing room pretty nonchalant and basically having to be dragged back out, arguing the day was for the players and fans. Like his match programme chat too, where his humility and realism but quiet optimism really came through before a game.

P.S. Was behind the opposite goal that day so yep, got a great view of Derek Fleming's goal (and crash into the post)!

RIP One Johnnie Lambie

• Like 1

Lucky enough to have chatted with the great man at Firhill before a game he was there to watch.

Such a character in a time at Thistle where the Manager, Assistant Manager, half the team and all of the fans seemed a bit more crazy than today.

He'll certainly be missed by many.

Go mad one last time at the next home game guys :fan:

11 hours ago, sandy said:

Bloody brilliant conversation. The man is a legend, a bit of Bill Shankly about him. 

Apart from in character quite a few similarities in career as well. Both born in small mining communities. Both starting at a club that was on a real low and leaving them on a high. Plenty more similarities, many very obvious.

• Like 1

Two memories spring to mind.  Firstly the night (and I think he had been at his mums funeral) when he came into the now defunct terrace behind goal totally steamboats and shouting abuse/encouragment to the team.

Secondly at West of Scotland Rugby ground the year he was chieftan of Milngavie Highland Games  (at least i think he was) and about to go over and say hello with my then pre-school kids only to reverse on approach as every word coming from him was c*** this and f*** that. :)

A legend.

Really enjoyed the JL & CC piece on Sportsound.  Apart from the great stories and banter, the thing that surprised me was the amount that JL spent on buying players and the (usually) larger amounts from selling them.  The Club I don't think was any richer then, but there seemed to be a lot more transfer activity then than today.  Part of that of course was John Lambie's management style of high player turnover, but the Club seemed to be less risk averse than now,.  Since that straddled the 1997 near collapse, it cannot wholly be explaned by shakier finances.

Maybe the Archibald era has coincided with a Board which is more risk averse than its predecessors, and that has resulted in the cautious management style that Alan Archibald displays.

Edited by eljaggo

5 minutes ago, sandy said:

John’s death puts all our angst about current league position in some kind of perspective. 

So let’s all unite and get behind our beloved team for our 5 ‘cup final’ games to come. We can do this, we are Thistle.  

For once I am in agreement with you. The Lambie passing has refocused all our minds.

Not on the Forum much, if at all , these days. Ditto Firhill. But John's death reminded me of the great days not that long ago.

I sat beside him on a trip back from Lanzarote once. Great character, talked about fitba’, doos and greyhounds – classic product of the mining community. I told him I had been on the picket line at Polkemmet, he said ‘good man’ then ranted a bit about why Scotland needed independence! I didn’t realise he had stood as an SNP candidate once.

Gerry Collins said he was the best manager he ever worked with – similar types of guys. Collins wasn’t our greatest manager to be sure and at one point when he was really struggling with the team and it was obvious (like it is now) that we were going to be relegated, the media were hounding him a bit. Some ****** journalist asked him about the pressure he was under: Collins replied that he didn’t regard that as pressure, he said words to the effect: I’m getting paid for something I enjoy doing, something I’d do for nothing – that’s not pressure, I’ll tell you what pressure is, pressure is a young single parent living in a high rise block of flats in a peripheral housing estate wondering how to eke out her next giro – that’s pressure! Well said that man – I think Collins came from Clydebank, so he knew what he was talking about. I always admired him for that.

The oddest thing about John  which I only discovered this week was that he was strong church man! They must have had to muzzle him when entering the kirk gates!Need to dig out my Thistle tie for Tuesday.

Got thinking tonight that I used to have a handmade t-shirt with a caracature of John Lambie on it (think the image might have came from a newspaper..).

After a bit of digging in the loft I found it... :clapping::clapping:

Think it must be fron around 1992 'ish but could be a year or two out - I found a few old strip too... funny how when you look at an old strip you immediately think of a player wearing it, not always the best player either... 

20180415_204844.jpg

20180415_204339.jpg

• Like 4