Team rebuilding

Paukea

1 hour ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Dundee Utd bring in their fourth signing of the summer. Craig Curran. Good addition. 

He seemed decent against us, but never seemed to be a regular starter for some reason. Not that concerned by DU signings tbh, but let’s see if we can do better

Given our last minute relegation I guess everyone else is way ahead of us with their plans...  Bouncing straight back up is highly doubtful, especially as we have two players who could still activate their relegation clause plus 3 that are on the transfer list but might still be here come the start of the season but then transferred out by August giving us little time for replacements. I'm thinking scrapping into the play offs next season will be a real achievement.

8 minutes ago, flashman said:

If at least by Christmas last year the club hadn't put together a list of targets that might be realistic for us playing in the Championship, as well as targets if we stayed up, I would find that startling and worrisome.

1/2 the season to go and you want the club to start planning for relegation ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flashman said:

If at least by Christmas last year the club hadn't put together a list of targets that might be realistic for us playing in the Championship, as well as targets if we stayed up, I would find that startling and worrisome.

Equally, we would have been a week behind teams whose position was known in being able to do anything about players on that list.  Likely as not most of the signings that happened already were as good as done deals before we were in a position to do anything and were just waiting for the formalities to be finalised.  So, unless we desperately wanted anyone recently signed and were willing to overpay them, we were probably not going to be in the running and no one signed so far by Championship rivals comes into the must have category that I can see.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

1/2 the season to go and you want the club to start planning for relegation ?

Looking at our position every season we were in the premier league, either at Christmas or the end of the season, yes. It would be a sensible contingency, so that we would not be trying to cobble together  a list of targets at the last minute in the event of relegation. We obviously wouldn't get everyone on the list, particularly as other clubs certain of their league next year earlier than us, probably have been working on deals already, but it would be a good starting point.

For clarity, the club may have done this and if so, fair play.

22 hours ago, watties wallies said:

with all this talk of reduced budgets in playing staff and so on

do you know what still sticks in the craw

looking at the final league position  we were only one stinkin lousy point from safety

we had so many chances but couldn't do it

the only thing that sort of consoles me is that we have now got rid of the gash that paraded themselves last season as thistle players

its going to be a long hard season

let's see the quality of player we sign

however i saw archie's interview on jagzone     just looks like more of the same

Also we could not beat the championship team that budgeted to finish 8th.

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A bit of an aside, and in truth I'm not that overly fussed, but as a matter of principle I don't think Archie's interview should be restricted to Jagszone subscribers.  My belief being that Jags fans after what we've just been thru shouldn't have to pay to hear an interview with the manager on a subject that affects us all. Secondly hearing Archie discuss the current situation and updating fans could have a bearing on renewal or for that matter first time ST sales. Bit naive of the Club to dramatically limit  the audience.

Agree.The day we were relegated the interview with him was online for everybody to view.

Find it a little contradictory that the board announced that reducing the playing budget would be a false economy, and at the same time, Erskine is in the Evening Times today saying that he took a significant drop in wages, yet decided to stay at Thistle. I have a sneaking suspicion that the board aren't being quite as honest as their statement suggested, or at least have exaggerated it. 

6 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Find it a little contradictory that the board announced that reducing the playing budget would be a false economy, and at the same time, Erskine is in the Evening Times today saying that he took a significant drop in wages, yet decided to stay at Thistle. I have a sneaking suspicion that the board aren't being quite as honest as their statement suggested, or at least have exaggerated it. 

I wondered about this too.

I would not be surprised if certain players have not had the relegation clause invoked by the club (i.e. the terms of the contract they originally signed will be honoured despite the relegation).

Edited by Barney Rubble

10 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

They did not quite say that.

"Learning from other clubs before us, it is clear that slashing budgets is a false economy. For the Club to succeed in the Championship and remain prepared for that return to top flight football, we need to have a competitive budget that will fully match our aspirations. Because of financial prudence in recent years, we are in a position to provide that."

Slashing and reducing are different things.

19 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Slashing and reducing are different things.

I agree, however Erskine said: " I lost a lot of money out of it, but that’s what happens with relegation." He might have been using the phrase "a lot" loosely I will admit, but unless he had a substantial offer from another top-flight club which he turned down, I think the quote is quite telling that this might not be a mere reduction.

38 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I agree, however Erskine said: " I lost a lot of money out of it, but that’s what happens with relegation." He might have been using the phrase "a lot" loosely I will admit, but unless he had a substantial offer from another top-flight club which he turned down, I think the quote is quite telling that this might not be a mere reduction.

Hopefully he’ll get more win bonuses next season :hypocrite:

Obviously no-one one, whatever walk of life wants to take a pay cut. If Erskine has done, and I don't doubt his word, he will endear himself toThistle fans even more. But the bottom line is that he signed  that contract and in this instance the board were being utterly responsible for the welfare if the club. Hopefully this shows that they are putting the club's welfare before any player, no matter of his almost legendary status, and should be applauded for doing so. As much as I grump and moan about Thistle I cannot bear the thought of footballing life without them.

Edited by Garscube Road End

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Totally agree,  something does not seem right at the moment,  the board and management team are hiding the truth,  i doubt very much that team rebuilding was underway the next day, as it said in the statement,  until i see any interviews done with Beattie or Archie on SKY Sports or STV       or  BBC   television,  

On 5/31/2018 at 10:37 PM, Auld Jag said:

If he doesn't want to stay or thinks he is not up to the job do you not think he would just go?

Maybe he is about to chuck it ,  which would explain why there's been no news on players signing 

Given my points on Erskine's quotes, as well as the suspicion that the board are not being as forthcoming as they should be (given that we were relegated 2 weeks ago, and in has been a media blackout since then), if Archibald is in any doubt over his ability to assemble this squad, he should walk sooner rather than later. This is just my humble opinion, but if Archibald was to assemble a squad from scratch this season, and also win us promotion, it would constitute probably the greatest achievement by a Thistle manager since '71. If the board are indeed serious about the promotion ultimatum, our manager is going to have absolutely no room for error when signing players (from an even smaller market). I think most would agree that Archibald's performance in the market over the past 5 years has been hit and miss, and unfortunately we cannot afford any "misses" this time around.

These factors aren't helped by his dour and almost apathetic mood on the recent interview. It was much of the same platitudes as we have heard  over the past few seasons ("we are starting behind everyone else, etc). I can only assume that one or two of the guys that County and United signed over the past few days would have been on our radar, so I pray that we haven't missed out on them.