Team rebuilding

Paukea

storey signing new contract is good news

his pace on the ball will surely benefit us this season

he has the technical skill and pace its now up to archie and co to get the best out of him 

i also think that tam the bam should now be appointed team captain and let doolan concentrate on puttin ra baw in ra net  :thumbsup2:

42 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Storey signs revised contract - so a wage cut - and comes off transfer list... just keown left 

I'm happy with that.

Last season was last season. Hopefully the fans will get behind him now and get off his back.

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

To be fair he should have offered us a lot more last season but didnt.  However hes taking a wage cut so fair play to him - interesting the website refers to him as an attacker rather than a striker, 

A wide player that cuts inside to score the occasional goal or a striker who drifts out wide now and again to give the team shape. To me that's not that important. Players today should be able to adapt to suit the occasion. Folk will disagree and think Storey should be played in his best position (probably thru the middle) but to me that's the realm of a natural/proven goalscorer, especially one who can offer little elsewhere. Miles does indeed offer us something different and I don't believe he has to improve too much to be a most useful player. Once he gets a bit more composure he could easily be a regular starter.  

2 minutes ago, Jag said:

I'm happy with that.

Last season was last season. Hopefully the fans will get behind him now and get off his back.

A more solid defence and more likelihood of getting another chance if you miss one should be good for his confidence which was clearly shot to pieces by the later stages of last season.

2 minutes ago, The Prince of Kadriorg said:

A more solid defence and more likelihood of getting another chance if you miss one should be good for his confidence which was clearly shot to pieces by the later stages of last season.

Agreed. He wasn't great last season but I actually ended up feeling sorry for him, You could see he had completely lost all confidence.

Within a minute of him coming on last Saturday, I heard a 'fan' shouting "You better make up for being so f*cking  sh*ite last season ya donkey!" Not exactly going to give him the boost he is looking for.

Could be that basic wage is cut but win bonuses better and likely to be more frequent this season?  Anyway still good to see the player meet us halfway (3/4 way?) and show willingness to stay with us.  Guess he's been in serious talks this last week or so and this explains his game time as a deal seemed on the cards (not to me, to the manager, etc.).

He has pace and ability to beat a man, all we need from him is a consistency he didn't show before.  Hopefully he'll be able to show this now.  Don't see him as a genuine striker though I think he's capable of doing an OK job as one in an emergency.  But we need to bring in another player who can really play centre forward when Dools is not available/we need to change things in attack.

Two defenders and a midfielder also needed (two if Bannigan doesn't make it).  Then add a couple of utility players who can offer cover in 2/3 positions,

1 hour ago, watties wallies said:

storey signing new contract is good news

his pace on the ball will surely benefit us this season

he has the technical skill and pace its now up to archie and co to get the best out of him 

i also think that tam the bam should now be appointed team captain and let doolan concentrate on puttin ra baw in ra net  :thumbsup2:

Not sure what the worst point in this post is. Either suggesting Storey has technical skill (I’m a fan of his, but he’s got no technical ability) or suggesting we strip Kris Doolan of the captaincy. 

I'm not sure what the need is to keep Keown. O'Ware didn't sign for us to sit on the bench and he looked comfortable enough on Tuesday.

We do need another centre half but its probably going to be some on much less wages than Keown as cover

Happy that Storey has signed and it is to his credit that he took the wage cut. Really hope we see Doolan and Storey strike up a partnership up front. They threatened it last year at some points but we then broke it up to play Sammon and allow us to go long to bypass our non-existent midfield.

36 minutes ago, laukat said:

I'm not sure what the need is to keep Keown. O'Ware didn't sign for us to sit on the bench and he looked comfortable enough on Tuesday.

We do need another centre half but its probably going to be some on much less wages than Keown as cover

Happy that Storey has signed and it is to his credit that he took the wage cut. Really hope we see Doolan and Storey strike up a partnership up front. They threatened it last year at some points but we then broke it up to play Sammon and allow us to go long to bypass our non-existent midfield.

I think the issue is we can’t get another CB till Keown leaves and frees up his wages 

Its odd for a player who played so poorly in a relegation season to receive this level of support.

Storey was terrible at times and worse than a lot of players from last season who are being blamed for our failure. In the game at Dundee at the end of the season he was embarrassingly bad and was subbed at half time.

I agree with the support and have said on here before that there is decent player in there somewhere.  It's a big decision for him to take a cut in wages and stay and I really hope it works out for him.

This is also a good example of an area where Archibald also shows he has learned from last season. He needs to find a role in the team for Storey that will give the team a return and not just leave him to ***** about on the wing bringing good moves to an end.

Storey staying doesn't change our desperate need to bring in another goalscorer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Its odd for a player who played so poorly in a relegation season to receive this level of support.

Storey was terrible at times and worse than a lot of players from last season who are being blamed for our failure. In the game at Dundee at the end of the season he was embarrassingly bad and was subbed at half time.

I agree with the support and have said on here before that there is decent player in there somewhere.  It's a big decision for him to take a cut in wages and stay and I really hope it works out for him.

This is also a good example of an area where Archibald also shows he has learned from last season. He needs to find a role in the team for Storey that will give the team a return and not just leave him to ***** about on the wing bringing good moves to an end.

Storey staying doesn't change our desperate need to bring in another goalscorer.

Definitely- Doolan for me is a legend but it can take him a while to get going, he is another year older and has looked a little off the pace in the 2 cup games so far (granted it’s very early days) add in that storey is often not even played as a striker then I wove very disappointed if we did not add another striker 

1 hour ago, laukat said:

To be fair if it wasn’t for Sammon we would have been relegated long before we actually were and would have finished 12th instead of 11th which would have resulted in less money 

I'm actually pretty happy that Storey will be staying for the new season. Despite a poor campaign last year (although he seemed the most likely candidate to turn the tide in that disaster at Almondvale), I still think the guy could be a prolific Championship player if he is played correctly. The problem for me is that he is absolutely not a winger. Yes, he is fast and strong, but possesses the directional ability of a feckin' Subbuteo player, moving in only four directions with an inability to really cut inside. And when you have a player that gets on the ball but advances upfield like a  Skalectrics car on one track, the ideal position isn't out on the wing. 

I really think with his pace and strength, if he is played as an out and out attacker with Doolan, we could see as strong a partnership as Roberts/Buchanan/Doolan at this level.