Team rebuilding

Paukea

19 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I don't think we were necessarily talking about about 30 year old journeymen but if a lower league 30 year old journeyman is the missing piece of the jigsaw then get him in on a one year deal. 

But a lower league 30 year old journeyman, such as the ones mentioned by another poster, are as unlikely to be the missing piece of the jigsaw as Kenny Brannigan is to be retrospectively awarded the Balon D’Or. 

5 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

But a lower league 30 year old journeyman, such as the ones mentioned by another poster, are as unlikely to be the missing piece of the jigsaw as Kenny Brannigan is to be retrospectively awarded the Balon D’Or. 

Agreed. But as I say I wasn't really talking about 30 year old journeymen. Anyway.....

50 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I completely agree, and I never said that he was the missing piece of the jigsaw. My point was simply that there are proven scorers in the lower leagues, and I would much rather see us take a gamble on another raw Kris Doolan like player, as opposed to bringing in someone who has had more ex-clubs than career goals. 

Of course there are mitigating circumstances when it comes to part-time players. For instance, Rory McAllister makes more money as a part-time footballer than most senior players in the top-flight, so there is simply no chance we could land him (and many clubs bigger than us have tried). 

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I completely agree, and I never said that he was the missing piece of the jigsaw. My point was simply that there are proven scorers in the lower leagues, and I would much rather see us take a gamble on another raw Kris Doolan like player, as opposed to bringing in someone who has had more ex-clubs than career goals. 

Of course there are mitigating circumstances when it comes to part-time players. For instance, Rory McAllister makes more money as a part-time footballer than most senior players in the top-flight, so there is simply no chance we could land him (and many clubs bigger than us have tried). 

The players you mentioned aren’t raw Kris Doolan-type players though. They’re diddies who would be nowhere near good enough. So you just sound daft. 

We are on the verge of signing the lad from Pollok - isn’t he exactly the kind of player you’re seemingly meaning? And when it’s completed will you praise Archie for his signing policy? 

53 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

The players you mentioned aren’t raw Kris Doolan-type players though. They’re diddies who would be nowhere near good enough. So you just sound daft. 

We are on the verge of signing the lad from Pollok - isn’t he exactly the kind of player you’re seemingly meaning? And when it’s completed will you praise Archie for his signing policy? 

There really isn't much point having a debate or honest conversation with you, is there? Aiden Smith I mentioned, and would hardly call a "diddy." Certainly had more senior experience than Dools at his age. Now maybe you haven't actually heard of him. That's fair enough. But at least be humble about it as opposed to the childish "you just sound daft" comment when someone says something you don't like or agree with. 

Fantastic. Would like that to be the case if it was true. I would praise Archibald for giving the guy a chance (although 1 signing is not a "policy"), and then we will see how it pans out. Again, I would much rather see us going the Ian McCall route over the next couple of years, and attempt to bring in the guys like ATS, Muirhead, Lawless, O'Donnell, etc. who didn't have a wealth of first-team football, but have the hunger and drive to develop. Is that fair enough? 

1 hour ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I would say we are short still in a few places- as well as Senna(Mohamed Niang) from Pollok-(who would be a great signing- as a great lad) but think we also need a couple of others

The guys you mention are all playing for lower league clubs for a reason. Either they don’t want to move or all the scouts from all the senior clubs don’t think they are good enough.

what I can guarantee is that nobody at Thistle or any other club, is saying that because they play for a lesser league they are not interested.  If there is talent there that wants to move they will be picked up by someone

I think we can safely take It, from every post match interview, that an experienced DM is top of Archie's shopping list. Yet again tonight he's highlighted it as our weak spot. 

So, how long before the Willo Flood rumours start? 

Regards Lawless, please no. Let's just move on. He had 5 attempts at repeating his promotion season form and never got close. We're now back in the second tier but he's 6 years older. There's a reason teams aren't tripping over themselves to sign him. We got him at his best. He won't see that level again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, potty trained said:

I think we can safely take It, from every post match interview, that an experienced DM is top of Archie's shopping list. Yet again tonight he's highlighted it as our weak spot. 

So, how long before the Willo Flood rumours start? 

Regards Lawless, please no. Let's just move on. He had 5 attempts at repeating his promotion season form and never got close. We're now back in the second tier but he's 6 years older. There's a reason teams aren't tripping over themselves to sign him. We got him at his best. He won't see that level again. 

Please No! No Willo Flood. Still I suppose we can't expect a Eric Dier type signing. But agree regards Lawless. If a Premiership club fancied him I think he'd be there by now. I wouldn't rs-sign him either as I don't think he would improve on what we have.

5 hours ago, sick in the basin said:

Interesting dynamic if SL did resign - how does that go down with the rest of the squad who know he’s only using Thistle cos he had no better offer. 

I suppose almost all footballers are where they are for that reason.

Interesting to see Niall Keown on the bench. No idea if he was just making up the numbers or he and the club are looking to reach an agreement on staying for the coming year? I'd be happy enough if he stays as he provides cover in defence.

Not sure how many players we are looking to get in but a striker and a defensive midfielder are a must.

Another defender too if Keown isn't staying.

34 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Interesting to see Niall Keown on the bench. No idea if he was just making up the numbers or he and the club are looking to reach an agreement on staying for the coming year? I'd be happy enough if he stays as he provides cover in defence.

Not sure how many players we are looking to get in but a striker and a defensive midfielder are a must.

Another defender too if Keown isn't staying.

If Keown wants to stay and be a regular member of the first team squad then he knows what he has to do - rightly or wrongly he has to take a wage cut - I guess it’s up to him 

I would be happy for Keown to stay on, and I actually think it would be good for him in the long run. He had a decent spell when playing alongside Lindsay (showed great potential), but last season was a big let down. I don't see any harm in him playing a level down, and developing his game. From what I have seen of McGinty, I am not overly convinced, so would be good to have Keown to challenge him. But as another poster said, he has to take some responsibility for last season, recognise the club can't afford to pay him as much, and take the wage cut. 

As for Lawless, I am in two minds. Again, I think he would still be a very good player at Championship level, and offer more of a threat going forward. But I would see him re-signing as a temporary stop-gap, as if we are promoted, I don't see him being of Premiership quality. 

9 minutes ago, Knightswood Jag said:

We don’t really need Lawless anyway, Fitzpatrick really should be getting a chance in this league. What sort of message is that to him if we go out and sign someone like Lawless or Mutombo?

Agreed, I think Fitzpatrick deserves and needs game time this season. 

• Like 2

I'm for re-signing Lawless. Take a lot on board re the argument we've maybe seen the best of him and there's a reason no top tier club has signed him. On the other hand if  he joined any of our competitors I would be thinking that's a good signing. So why not us? Not a very strong counter argument admittedly but in my mind he was one of the players who put in a shift last season, also showing a bit more versatility.

There is of course no strong reason to believe he will be re-signed. It's as regular as night and day to have an ex player training with us. Does tho' strongly suggest that Stevie wasn't considered as one of Archie's "problem players". We're likely to be in the financial situation of not being able to offer extended contracts to all but the younger lads so if anything was to transpire I'd guess on a one year deal (maybe less). 

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The squad needs more work clearly.... a DM is a priority , followed by defensive cover and maybe a striker

Agree. The shape of the side looked OK v Hearts when Banzo played (very well). Since then defensive mid has been covered almost by rotation. Slater, Gordon & Storer each taking a turn. I suppose due to the system we play we can go a wee bit light on strikers. We should be able to rely on enough goals from midfield to compensate. That'll only happen if the three aforementioned (factor in Erskine & McCarthy as well) are not relied on so heavily defensively. So a defensive midfielder is a priority.