Team rebuilding

Paukea

Is Banzo only contracted until the end of August? It doesn’t sound like he’s going to be back by then, I wonder if he will get an extension until next year now, to re-re-re-re-prove his fitness? Lennox out for 8-10 weeks aswell, jeesus.

Edited by jags on tour

10 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Max Melbourne joins us from WBA for the season. Hardly awe-inspired, but will provide cover for Penrice at LB, and also at LM. Wonder what the County fans thought of him?

A County supporting friend tells me they were crazy not to try to get him back 

Edited by Duncan Tom

4 hours ago, potty trained said:

He'll end up there, if he doesn't get himself up to the required level of fitness.

Archies made it clear, he wants his full backs up n down the park. If the lads not up to doing that, then that's the way it goes.

What you're not saying there is that Penrice bulking up has had an effect on his efficiency in speed and/or stamina. Folk on here were deriding Archie for not playing James in the latter part of last season.. Anybody who saw him play latterly for the U20s would realise his exclusion from the first team was down to fitness issues.  Clearly that was the downside to his loan spell at Livingston where played extensively. Similar in a way to McCarthy after he bulked up over the summer of 2016. Andy rarely played 90 mins for us the season before last but as we know he came good. 

Temporary fitness problems is just the price we often have to pay to  achieve a bit of excellence. Watching him this season it doesn't look to me that Penrice is too far from reaching that achievement. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

What you're not saying there is that Penrice bulking up has had an effect on his efficiency in speed and/or stamina. Folk on here were deriding Archie for not playing James in the latter part of last season.. Anybody who saw him play latterly for the U20s would realise his exclusion from the first team was down to fitness issues.  Clearly that was the downside to his loan spell at Livingston where played extensively. Similar in a way to McCarthy after he bulked up over the summer of 2016. Andy rarely played 90 mins for us the season before last but as we know he came good. 

Temporary fitness problems is just the price we often have to pay to  achieve a bit of excellence. Watching him this season it doesn't look to me that Penrice is too far from reaching that achievement. 

Hope that's the case, but if it's not, then he'll move on.  

Sena played for Pollock the other night in a pre-season game, so don't think that will be happening now. 

Have to say I am really disappointed in the pace in which players have been brought in this summer. Would have been nice to have them bedded in during the BetFred Cup games before the season proper gets underway. Need to hit the ground running in this division. C'mon Archie! 

51 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Sena played for Pollock the other night in a pre-season game, so don't think that will be happening now. 

Have to say I am really disappointed in the pace in which players have been brought in this summer. Would have been nice to have them bedded in during the BetFred Cup games before the season proper gets underway. Need to hit the ground running in this division. C'mon Archie! 

In seasons past, the call has always been, “We’ll know more once the English transfer window closes.”  I wonder how the number of new faces this season - at this point in the calendar - compares with the last few seasons?

27 minutes ago, pink panther said:

The Sena situation is complicated and is linked to a work permit issue. He originally arrived in Scotland on a family permit and still waiting for his own work permit which means he can only sign an amateur contract as this time. He will stay with Pollok until this is resolved. 

Is Sena by any chance the lad that trained with us half way thru last season? He played as a trialist a few times in the U20s. That lad couldn't get a permit but looked a real prospect. Iirc he played right centreback and right back. 

35 minutes ago, pink panther said:

The Sena situation is complicated and is linked to a work permit issue. He originally arrived in Scotland on a family permit and still waiting for his own work permit which means he can only sign an amateur contract as this time. He will stay with Pollok until this is resolved. 

Thank you very much for the info. Hopefully it comes through and he turns out a little better than the last person with a similar issue...Pedram Ardalany (who is now unbelievably 28, and playing back in Iran). 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

Have to say growing tired of the Bannigan will be fit again in four weeks (sounds familiar) and I am also tired of us carrying injured players. We have been more than good enough to Bannigan, and its time we gave him a 6 month deal, pay as you play, to prove his fitness. Like it or not, its football. We cant afford to be the good guys and always carry passengers. 

Keeping injured players around is partly what got us in this mess in the first place. I have zero doubt that if fit Bannigan is a great player, but after 2 years out and injury again to the same knee, is he ever going to be fit?

maybe im being cynical but I honestly feel, its time to move on, or give him a deal that works to our advantage. If he needs to earn a living, give him a coaching post or something, just don’t take it out the player budget if he is never going to be available for us.

6 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

Have to say growing tired of the Bannigan will be fit again in four weeks (sounds familiar) and I am also tired of us carrying injured players. We have been more than good enough to Bannigan, and its time we gave him a 6 month deal, pay as you play, to prove his fitness. Like it or not, its football. We cant afford to be the good guys and always carry passengers. 

Keeping injured players around is partly what got us in this mess in the first place. I have zero doubt that if fit Bannigan is a great player, but after 2 years out and injury again to the same knee, is he ever going to be fit?

maybe im being cynical but I honestly feel, its time to move on, or give him a deal that works to our advantage. If he needs to earn a living, give him a coaching post or something, just don’t take it out the player budget if he is never going to be available for us.

Not cynical at all. You're totally correct. 

Even if Banzo is clear of injury after the next four weeks, it will take months before he is even back to match fitness. 

Reminds me of the Liam Buchanan saga. "Four weeks, four weeks." And then just wasnt the same player when he came back. 

1 hour ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Thank you very much for the info. Hopefully it comes through and he turns out a little better than the last person with a similar issue...Pedram Ardalany (who is now unbelievably 28, and playing back in Iran). 

ian mccall had high, high hopes for pedram. i do  not know how you provide links but if you google pedram ardalany and daily telegraph you will find an interview i conducted with him when he was a lovely 17-year-old with a dream...

10 minutes ago, kevin energy said:

What happened to him did he play any games remember him but can not remember if he played any games ?

4 appearances:-

Stirling Albion (league) 8/4/08 Sub

Ayr United (friendly) 10/7/08

Stirling Albion (friendly) 15/7/08 Sub

Carlisle United (friendly) 19/7/08 Sub

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

4 appearances:-

Stirling Albion (league) 8/4/08 Sub

Ayr United (friendly) 10/7/08

Stirling Albion (friendly) 15/7/08 Sub

Carlisle United (friendly) 19/7/08 Sub

That Albion one was a weird one. We were due to play Rangers in the Cup, so I remember Mooc, Ardalany, Eaglesham, McStay, and Keegan all playing in that 1-0 win. Reading over that list actually fills me with hope for the season. 

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

That Albion one was a weird one. We were due to play Rangers in the Cup, so I remember Mooc, Ardalany, Eaglesham, McStay, and Keegan all playing in that 1-0 win. Reading over that list actually fills me with hope for the season. 

Could you please expand on that just a little.? I don't get the connection between a routine win against the Binos and the subsequent Cup defeat to the club once known as Rangers. My memory is kinda sketchy but I thought we put out about our strongest XI in the cup game. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Could you please expand on that just a little.? I don't get the connection between a routine win against the Binos and the subsequent Cup defeat to the club once known as Rangers. My memory is kinda sketchy but I thought we put out about our strongest XI in the cup game. 

So we played fringe players in the preceding league match vs Stirling to rest some first team players. Seems pretty clear from where I'm reading.

4 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Operating at the outer fringes of my memory, but have some vague recollection that Eaglesham did most of the legwork (cross/saved shot?) for the goal leaving Paul Keegan with an easy tap in which was well celebrated.

14 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

13 hours ago, jagfox said:

So we played fringe players in the preceding league match vs Stirling to rest some first team players. Seems pretty clear from where I'm reading.

Yes, Jagfox is correct. Thought I made it quite clear; my apologies. 

Off on a slight tangent from the subsequent poster, it was Eaglesham who went on a mazy run down the right before squaring it to Paul Keegan to almost miss from 2 yards out.  Remember it quite clearly. We also relegated Stirling Albion that evening too. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Thanks 1