Team rebuilding

Paukea

I couldn’t give specific target names, but we should be looking to attract exciting (young) talent from the likes of Dunfermline, Falkirk, QoS, Ayr and perhaps the juniors.

IMO Paton is passed his best, as is Higgy. The only ones I would take back would be O’Donnell, Lindsay and Frans.

16 minutes ago, sandy said:

I couldn’t give specific target names, but we should be looking to attract exciting (young) talent from the likes of Dunfermline, Falkirk, QoS, Ayr and perhaps the juniors.

IMO Paton is passed his best, as is Higgy. The only ones I would take back would be O’Donnell, Lindsay and Frans.

Would Frans be available as his club Lierse have requested bankruptcy?

Would take Paul Paton back in a heartbeat, especially at Championship level, he’s only 29/30 and is a better player now than he was when he left us, also think Archie should have taken the gamble when Paton left St Johnstone by offering him something.
Watching the 2 games against Livi , we were sorely missing someone who could compete, tackle and also kick arse with the other players.
Watched O’ware playing for Morton , no nonsense centre back who would do a job for us.
Does anyone else think it’s going to be difficult to attract a good calibre of player with all the uncertainty going on at Firhill and also for the pressure for Archibald to deliver

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Would take Paul Paton back in a heartbeat, especially at Championship level, he’s only 29/30 and is a better player now than he was when he left us, also think Archie should have taken the gamble when Paton left St Johnstone by offering him something.
Watching the 2 games against Livi , we were sorely missing someone who could compete, tackle and also kick arse with the other players.
Watched O’ware playing for Morton , no nonsense centre back who would do a job for us.
Does anyone else think it’s going to be difficult to attract a good calibre of player with all the uncertainty going on at Firhill and also for the pressure for Archibald to deliver

Look at it the other way they know what is required and what will be expected from them.If they want to play for Partick Thistle and help us back to the top league you are more than welcome.If you just want to come and get a wage for nothing you are not wanted.

50 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Look at it the other way they know what is required and what will be expected from them.If they want to play for Partick Thistle and help us back to the top league you are more than welcome.If you just want to come and get a wage for nothing you are not wanted.

Hope you’re right , still not sure about the direction that we’re going in , would have been better to rebuild the Club utilising the Academy over a period of 2/3 years rather than a win or bust mentality trying to get back to the Premiership in a year which I think is almost impossible with so many changes going on and that probably determines the type of players Archibald will be looking at . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Hope you’re right , still not sure about the direction that we’re going in , would have been better to rebuild the Club utilising the Academy over a period of 2/3 years rather than a win or bust mentality trying to get back to the Premiership in a year which I think is almost impossible with so many changes going on and that probably determines the type of players Archibald will be looking at . 

One that point a slight worry for me is the board's statement about spending to go up in one season.  Admittedly it isn't a clear statement but it could imply putting all our eggs in one basket financially as well as in other ways.  I hope this isn't the case.  Clubs that get relegated from SPL get about £1 million plus a parachute payment of about half that.  I'd hope we could build a team that could have a good go at promotion without blowing most of the money in one season.  

I agree re youngsters and was disappointed to see Lamont and McLaughlin let go.  Since our development team is likely to be pretty young it doesn't look like we'll have many youngsters likely to be ready this coming season.    I hope McCarthy and Penrice get regular game time and aren't pushed out by incoming players.

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I think Shankland would actually  be an okay signing given we only have one striker in Doolan, McCall seems to have really helped improve his confidence and he seems to have done really well for the Honest men

I saw Shankland 3 times season before last for Morton. Useless.

But your point about McCall is valid. I heard him raving about him and the other 2 Ayr players. He is a terrific manager and has brought on these players.

Shanklands record last year was excellent. Could be worth a go.

Thistle are far too nice. 

I always thought Warren and the other guy Caley had(now at Ross) whose name escapes me were thugs but we could’ve done with them.  I would take Warren if he’s still fit enough. He wouldn’t have rolled over like the others at Livvy.

4 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Thistle are far too nice. 

I always thought Warren and the other guy Caley had(now at Ross) whose name escapes me were thugs but we could’ve done with them.  I would take Warren if he’s still fit enough. He wouldn’t have rolled over like the others at Livvy.

Ross Draper.

Spoke to a county fan after the 2nd leg.  Walking down Garscube Road.  Said Draper was absolutly terrible. The rumour in Dingwall was, they paid 100k for him to help Caley out, who were in dire financial trouble. 

16 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I saw Shankland 3 times season before last for Morton. Useless.

But your point about McCall is valid. I heard him raving about him and the other 2 Ayr players. He is a terrific manager and has brought on these players.

Shanklands record last year was excellent. Could be worth a go.

Resigned for Ayr as mentioned elsewhere

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Weebaw's might well be right that we could've done with Draper and/or Warren. The emphasis tho' should be on the past tense.

Why? By all accounts Warren was decent last season. Inverness CT went on a terrific run with him in the side. Considering we’re probably going to sign 4 central defenders (at least 3), I think we’re crying out for someone with his experience/presence.

There are no names I'm really that excited by that we could realistically get.

Paton I'd take if at the right price, still think he would contribute at a high level in the first division. The first 6 weeks of the first division winning season under Jackie was the best run of form I've ever seen from a Jags team, the football was out of this world, and Paton's pressing and aggression in the middle was a huge part of that.

That said, going back the way isn't always a good idea, but then again I thought Rowser was just as good a contributor when he came back as he was when he was first with us, so Paton in my mind would be worth a punt.

But last time we won the league - who had heard of Doolan, Erskine, O'Donnell, Taylor-Sinclair, Lawless, Craigen etc before we signed them? Not many folks. I'd rather go down the route of hungry young guys and build again. We have enough experience with the guys we've held onto, lets get some young guys with a chip on their shoulder.

1 minute ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Speaking of young, hungry players - a season-long loan for Michael Johnston, the 19 year old winger at Celtic could be a good shout? Seems to be highly rated but doesn’t get much game time there. Could be a good deal for all parties...

Do you remember Aidan Nisbett? No probably not. He was a young, hungry Celtic player we took on loan. 

Yeah I remember him, played about half a dozen matches and looked okay - nothing brilliant. A short-term loan deal for one ex-Celtic player when we were a Premiership team isn’t really the same as a full season-long loan in the Championship. Loans, like any transfers are never a guarantee, but this is the right thread for chucking his name out.

6 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Yeah I remember him, played about half a dozen matches and looked okay - nothing brilliant. A short-term loan deal for one ex-Celtic player when we were a Premiership team isn’t really the same as a full season-long loan in the Championship. Loans, like any transfers are never a guarantee, but this is the right thread for chucking his name out.

I know that every transfer is a gamble but I was just saying that maybe ‘young hungry OF’ players aren’t where we need to go right now. I’d rather we had a backbone of a fully signed team, then we can maybe fill up the remaining squad places with some loan signings

16 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

I agree with this. Nisbett arrived for the business end of the season and didn't really get much chance. Featured in about half the games, some as a late sub. Only played one full game on last day of season and hit the bar late on. Seem to remember some flak from Celtic about him not getting much game time.

We have a lot of places to fill. I'd be happy to take a Celtic youngster for a full season, if Archie isn't in their bad books.