Ayr vs Partick Thistle - Oh we do like to be beside the seaside...

jagfox

I do not think the debate is about the tribute to the absent supporters infact its a good idea. it is just the Union Jack if they wanted to change the flag i'm sure Jags fans would contribute to that. and i for one do not want thistle to be associated with the  blue side of the green side of Glasgow

We’ve had a similar flag going to away games with those lads ( including those no longer with us) for over 35 years, hence the design.

its in our clubs colours, it has nothing to do with one side or another of the OF, it’s a tribute to them. It’ll take its place in the John 

Lambie stand amongst the other excellent flags going forward.

Not something I feel strongly about but I know it to have been in past discussion (on here or previous fora) a most divisive subject. In my mind respect for those who've passed away far overrides anything perceived to be contentious about the flag itself.  Btw I thought it strange that the flag was taken down early into the match.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not something I feel strongly about but I know it to have been in past discussion (on here or previous fora) a most divisive subject. In my mind respect for those who've passed away far overrides anything perceived to be contentious about the flag itself.  Btw I thought it strange that the flag was taken down early into the match.

Read somewhere else that the guys left to go to the pub after the second goal went in.

Edited by scotty

6 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Good footage.

Yesterday was a real low for me supporting Thistle, the team were attrocious and it was exactly the right result...

However, we were not helped by the usual dodgy decisions by one of Scotlands top referees and his assistants.

1.   It was 100% a free kick but not 100% a penalty. To me that was fractionally outside the box.

2.   In one of our very few attacking moves in the first half when Doolan was breaking - he was given offside. He was not.

3.   Really good shout for a thistle penalty. Ayr players hands were waving above his head certainly not in a natural position when the ball hit it. I've seen them given

4.   Ayr defender had a wee sly kick at Storey when he was on the ground. Storey gets a yellow for reacting.

5. McDaid had a right good attempt at chopping down Fitzpatrick when he went on his first run. Not even a word in his ear from ***** Thomson

1. I was almost in line and thought it was inside, but it was close. I was more concerned about the lack of interest in marking at the throw in that led to it.

3. Thought from the side of the park it was a clear pen and the footage backs it up. The Ayr player had his arms up in the air and it should have been given, but we all know Thomson is clueless. We would likely have missed it anyway!

4. It was a big sly kick and some refs could have seen it as a red card. Storey is very petulant though and I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up a few yellows and maybe reds as well

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

How’s it cringeworthy? it’s in red yellow and black our colours 

States absent friends, and lists the 4 boys (All Jags fans) who are no longer with us, 1 of who was murdered, and another who passed on only a few weeks back

Honest question, because I know nothing of any of this.

What was the relevance of the Union Jack to those concerned?_What were the circumstances of their passing?

Just trying to understand  - can someone please give some context?

6 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Good footage.

Yesterday was a real low for me supporting Thistle, the team were attrocious and it was exactly the right result...

However, we were not helped by the usual dodgy decisions by one of Scotlands top referees and his assistants.

1.   It was 100% a free kick but not 100% a penalty. To me that was fractionally outside the box.

2.   In one of our very few attacking moves in the first half when Doolan was breaking - he was given offside. He was not.

3.   Really good shout for a thistle penalty. Ayr players hands were waving above his head certainly not in a natural position when the ball hit it. I've seen them given

4.   Ayr defender had a wee sly kick at Storey when he was on the ground. Storey gets a yellow for reacting.

5. McDaid had a right good attempt at chopping down Fitzpatrick when he went on his first run. Not even a word in his ear from ***** Thomson

Yes thought at the game pen was just outside the box. Looks like highlights back that up but it is very close. 

Clear pen as his hands go up to the ball - yes it's very close but it's a pen.

Both decisions the type that can go either way though. Even if they had gone our way Ayr would have probably scored again.

40 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Honest question, because I know nothing of any of this.

What was the relevance of the Union Jack to those concerned?_What were the circumstances of their passing?

Just trying to understand  - can someone please give some context?

4 Thistle fans passed in different circumstances over last few years.

The flag is in Thistle colours.

It has no offensive words, only mentions the 4 guys names with Absent Friends in the middle.

Its a tribute to Jags fans from Jags fans

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

4 Thistle fans passed in different circumstances over last few years.

The flag is in Thistle colours.

It has no offensive words, only mentions the 4 guys names with Absent Friends in the middle.

Its a tribute to Jags fans from Jags fans

Thanks for the explanation Norge - wasn't aware of any of this.

Heartfelt thoughts to the four lads in question.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scotty said:

So if someone puts up a Belgian flag are we siding with the green side of the ugly sisters. The Irish flag is the same,  just different colours!

Poor argument. The Irish flag is one of many that uses the three equal vertical stripes (tricolour) layout. The Union Jack/Union Flag/Butcher's Apron is the only one which uses its very particular design.

A Union Flag rendered in red, yellow and black (or any other combination of colours) can reasonably be taken to indicate an affiliation with the Union and the blue side of Glasgow.

11 minutes ago, ScottyDFA said:

Poor argument. The Irish flag is one of many that uses the three equal vertical stripes (tricolour) layout. The Union Jack/Union Flag/Butcher's Apron is the only one which uses its very particular design.

A Union Flag rendered in red, yellow and black (or any other combination of colours) can reasonably be taken to indicate an affiliation with the Union and the blue side of Glasgow.

Macedonia flag is very similar but only has 2 colours. Red & Yellow

I wonder if there’s any country in the world that cannot fly their flag for fear of association with negative actions

the union flag (jack) seems to be for the far right, Ulster unionists, the Rangers etc...

The saltire is Alex Salmond, Independence and all that 

Noel Gallagher wrote a song called “The red white and blue” discussing how the U.K. flag has been taken away and used by unsavoury people.

Noel played a Union Jack (or flag) guitar and certainly isn’t connected to unionism or far right extremism.

i have Union Jack (flag) socks and a saltire tie and I’m ashamed to wear them as it just ends up in hassle.

where else in the world would that happen?

6 minutes ago, gerrybritton9 said:

I wonder if there’s any country in the world that cannot fly their flag for fear of association with negative actions

the union flag (jack) seems to be for the far right, Ulster unionists, the Rangers etc...

The saltire is Alex Salmond, Independence and all that 

Noel Gallagher wrote a song called “The red white and blue” discussing how the U.K. flag has been taken away and used by unsavoury people.

Noel played a Union Jack (or flag) guitar and certainly isn’t connected to unionism or far right extremism.

i have Union Jack (flag) socks and a saltire tie and I’m ashamed to wear them as it just ends up in hassle.

where else in the world would that happen?

Not really sure where to begin with this, but OK, I'll have a go.

People, and Jags fans, are a diverse community. Many I agree with, and some I don't.

Politics is like music. I love Freddie King, Rory Gallagher and the Who.

My mate loves Weather Report, Led Zeppelin and ..... Led Zep. And guess what? We get on like ****. Because we love the Jags.

I've no interest in the Union Flag........at all. Indeed the game v St Mirren the night after IndyRef  is the most bizarre atmosphere I have ever experienced at a football game ever.

Yeah, so where else would it happen? Equally where else would 8 wins out of 48 be ever considered acceptable?

2 hours ago, gerrybritton9 said:

Can't actually think of any at present but I'm sure there's bound to be. As long as a national flag is seen to be representative of the establishment and you have a sizable anti-establishment movement then the waving or display of a national flag is likely to cause resentment and have a negative effect amongst many.

Anyway more to the point I think we really need to move Keown on. Pity as I think he could be a good player for us but the priority has to be a left sided centreback. At the moment we have two competent right sided centrebacks and one very shaky left sided one. The alternative would be to move O'Ware across but gut feeling tells me that wouldn't be right apart from occasional necessity. 

2 hours ago, AndyMac said:

The Union Jack is the British flag.

The Saltire is the Scottish flag.

I am fed up that the brain dead nationalistic bigots, undemocratic fascists, from the far right and the SNP, have tried to steal our national flags. They should stick with their swastika flying roots.

The above is a quote from a forum about an Ayr vs PT football game... My word...

The Union flag, in whatever colours, unequivocally represents sympathy with the union.  Everyone in Scotland knows this is a sensitive issue right now, including the person flying this flag.  The fact it is in memory of people does not negate its meaning in the current political context.   As a result this is bound to antagonise and possibly alienate anyone who cannot sympathise with the UK and that’s just how it is at the moment, right or wrong.  

Anyway, perhaps I’d not have noticed it if there was something decent on the pitch to enjoy, fingers crossed for some improvement. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 7:23 PM, stuart_adam said:

Archies interview

Blaming individual errors (sounds familiar)

Said had a game plan (heard this one too)

Said became disjointed (heard this before too)

And then finished the interview saying we need more and theres a few injuries with players coming back.

Zzzzz

The next step is blaming individual players. :(

3 hours ago, Rezjag said:

The above is a quote from a forum about an Ayr vs PT football game... My word...

The Union flag, in whatever colours, unequivocally represents sympathy with the union.  Everyone in Scotland knows this is a sensitive issue right now, including the person flying this flag.  The fact it is in memory of people does not negate its meaning in the current political context.   As a result this is bound to antagonise and possibly alienate anyone who cannot sympathise with the UK and that’s just how it is at the moment, right or wrong.  

Anyway, perhaps I’d not have noticed it if there was something decent on the pitch to enjoy, fingers crossed for some improvement. 

Tell you something Rezjaj, we all had a vote fair and square. The people of Scotland, rightly or wrongly, voted democratically to remain part of the UK. Like it or not; Scotland remains part of Britain and the Union Jack is the British Flag.

If the Union Jack makes some people uncomfortable; tough. If it wasn't for our great/grand/parents fighting under that flag for our freedoms, we would all be living under the swastika. Furthermore, all the sensitive snowflakes out there, really would have something to worry about.

Hopefully the football will improve.

• twinny locked this topic