QOS away 1/12/18

Auld Jag

7 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

You are probably right that Archie should have gone, but a lot of people who wanted him gone didn’t really care who replaced him saying that anybody could do better.

That's no doubt true on both counts. Others (and I include myself in this category) didn't raise any or much concern about the Board/Club selecting a suitable replacement. I was confident they wouldn't go for Hughes, Duffy or the likes and given the protractedness of Archie's reign I thought they probably had one or two replacements in mind. 

It is still too early to say they've got it wrong, but I would imagine at this moment in time faith in the Board/Club's recruitment judgment is extremely low. It's been said often enough and in hindsight that Archie should probably have been dismissed after the play offs. I guess I'd go along with that but I'm now increasingly starting to wonder if it would've made any positive difference. Should I suppose find out one way or the other when we see the comings and goings next month.

This is one of these old-fashioned Just In posts. My daughter (fellow Jags diehard) works in Glencoe, and immediately after the Queen of the South game, we headed up to Fort William and arrived in time for a brilliant concert by the increasingly popular Highland band TideLines.

The only drawback was that the lead guitar player/bagpiper looked uncannily like Stephen Dobbie.

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's no doubt true on both counts. Others (and I include myself in this category) didn't raise any or much concern about the Board/Club selecting a suitable replacement. I was confident they wouldn't go for Hughes, Duffy or the likes and given the protractedness of Archie's reign I thought they probably had one or two replacements in mind. 

It is still too early to say they've got it wrong, but I would imagine at this moment in time faith in the Board/Club's recruitment judgment is extremely low. It's been said often enough and in hindsight that Archie should probably have been dismissed after the play offs. I guess I'd go along with that but I'm now increasingly starting to wonder if it would've made any positive difference. Should I suppose find out one way or the other when we see the comings and goings next month.

The other error of judgement, I think, was in the extent of the clear out. It gave us too big a rebuilding job.

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

The other error of judgement, I think, was in the extent of the clear out. It gave us too big a rebuilding job.

That’s absolutely right , compounded by not putting relegation clauses in contracts like Storey and Keown, also I would include players like Kevin Nisbet and Neil Mclaughin who are now doing well at Raith Rovers and Stirling Albion , think the coaching staff underestimated how these players would develop. Players at a young age develop at a different rate , if you look at Declan Mcdaid as an example you can now see a totally different player to the one that left us, looks fitter and stronger which reflects on his performances just now. Hopefully the new coaching staff will have slightly better judgement.

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

That’s absolutely right , compounded by not putting relegation clauses in contracts like Storey and Keown, also I would include players like Kevin Nisbet and Neil Mclaughin who are now doing well at Raith Rovers and Stirling Albion , think the coaching staff underestimated how these players would develop. Players at a young age develop at a different rate , if you look at Declan Mcdaid as an example you can now see a totally different player to the one that left us, looks fitter and stronger which reflects on his performances just now. Hopefully the new coaching staff will have slightly better judgement.

I am amazed at McDaid’s transformation and also the improvement in Shankland. Give those players credit but it’s down to brilliant management.

We had some excellent players in the U21’s. They were never going to establish in the 1st team under Archie.

Lamont was another who was promising(now at Clyde). It’s good to see these young guys progressing at whatever level they can reach. I suspect some could have done fine with us if McCall had been our boss.

Easily the best Jagszone post match interview of the season is Tam Scobbie's....  brutally honest including the line "we need to knuckle down and work our nuts off"......   You get a real sense this guy is hurting and not thinking about nipping back up to Dundee at the end of his loan, totally focused on demanding more from every player including himself...   Respect.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:37 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Well, exactly as you say re the centrebacks. Scobbie, tho' I believe he's organisationly sound, is about the last player you'd look to re breaking out of defence.  And of course it's usually the middle of the three that's charged with that role. But yesterday there were countless opportunities for Keown & McGinty (especially the former) to carry on up the park with the ball. Instead  they played the ball from around the halfway line (no further) and (as expected) their tame passes were inevitably cut out. by a Queens player.

I differ slightly in so much that I think that Elliott and Penrice are well equipped to play wingback effectively at this level. As said previously it's unfortunate that Christie with his poorer delivery is the one who plays the wingback role the better. Penrice, who has quality re a final ball doesn't push forward nearly often enough, tho' I'm sure he's well able to do so.

Agree with what you say, but the amount of times Penrice was available on the left touchline with no one near him was unbelievable, the speed of passing out from the back was so slow that when he was spotted it was inevitably too late and the chance had gone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Easily the best Jagszone post match interview of the season is Tam Scobbie's....  brutally honest including the line "we need to knuckle down and work our nuts off"......   You get a real sense this guy is hurting and not thinking about nipping back up to Dundee at the end of his loan, totally focused on demanding more from every player including himself...   Respect.

I don't have Jagszone so good to hear a player having this attitude.I often wonder how committed loan players are, doesn't sound as if this  is a problem with Scobbie. We need this sort of attitude from every player.

• Like 1