Analysis of squad

Cults Jag

Whilst the jury is clearly out on Caldwell, as many have said, the squad really is poor and needs major surgery.

I've put the players into 4 categories based on their ability theoretically to be part of a promotion winning team :

1 - at the level / would be disappointed to see them go - Bannigan, Slater, Spittal (based on improved confidence / form in last 2 games playing more centrally). Ironically all central midfielders !

2 - should be good enough based on previous efforts, though not generally performing at present  - Elliot (improved form), Doolan, Erskine

3 - Young and potentially good enough, but not proven - Penrice, McCarthy, Fitzpatrick, Sneddon (I'm not convinced that Penrice and McCarthy can get to category 1)

4 - not good enough /  no skin off our noses if they go - McGinty, Keown, Storey, Storer, Scobbie, Jeffries, Bell, Gordon, plus Quitongo will go anyway

The long term injured guys in O'Ware and Coulibaly should be category 1, and would clearly add something based on their track records.

So in summary - not enough 1's and too many 4's, while you'd probably want just a small number of 2's and 3's in the starting 11.

Tough gig for Caldwell, and, for me, comes back to keeping Archie and letting him rebuild the squad after relegation.

So objective is survival this year, and rebuild over a couple of windows for promotion next year.

4 hours ago, Cults Jag said:

Whilst the jury is clearly out on Caldwell, as many have said, the squad really is poor and needs major surgery.

I've put the players into 4 categories based on their ability theoretically to be part of a promotion winning team :

1 - at the level / would be disappointed to see them go - Bannigan, Slater, Spittal (based on improved confidence / form in last 2 games playing more centrally). Ironically all central midfielders !

2 - should be good enough based on previous efforts, though not generally performing at present  - Elliot (improved form), Doolan, Erskine

3 - Young and potentially good enough, but not proven - Penrice, McCarthy, Fitzpatrick, Sneddon (I'm not convinced that Penrice and McCarthy can get to category 1)

4 - not good enough /  no skin off our noses if they go - McGinty, Keown, Storey, Storer, Scobbie, Jeffries, Bell, Gordon, plus Quitongo will go anyway

The long term injured guys in O'Ware and Coulibaly should be category 1, and would clearly add something based on their track records.

So in summary - not enough 1's and too many 4's, while you'd probably want just a small number of 2's and 3's in the starting 11.

Tough gig for Caldwell, and, for me, comes back to keeping Archie and letting him rebuild the squad after relegation.

So objective is survival this year, and rebuild over a couple of windows for promotion next year.

Category3 should be category 1. They are all talented and MUST be retained. Their problem is they are young and inexperienced but being expected to carry a team of either useless or underperforming seasoned professionals.

Category 1’s could be replaced. They do not offer enough in an attacking sense and Spittal can’t find his way in there on the back of just 1 or 2 decent performances in a year and a half.

The Category 2’s are a total mystery. Elliot has picked up a bit from early season when he cost us goals and matches but it’s really difficult to explain the lack of performnces from the other 2 who were expected to be our main assets in a push to get back to the SPL.

Agree that it would be massive if the 2 long term injuries came back and performed at their best.

Most of our early season points came from moments of inspiration from Erskine, albeit a meagre return.

I agree that Chris is no longer consistently producing but Caldwell rarely if ever starts him, preferring consistently dreadful footballers every week.

It’s about time Caldwell realises he has an asset that, if used properly can provide some desperately needed points on the board. Any other team in our league would love to have Erskine.

I agree with most of the categories but suspect Spittal will revert to his usual garbage. For me, he’s moved from 4 to 2 and hope he continues improving but he has a lot of making up to do.

Elliott and Penrice have also been improving and with continued consistency should move into category 1.

Looking at those in category 4 shows the massive job Caldwell has. There are 11 players in that category ie 11 duds. 11 useless players on our books. 

He didnt sign any of these. So he deserves at least 1 window.

I’m unconvinced by Caldwell’s tactics and team selections, especially as he apparently said he rates Storey. Has he actually evaluated his contributions?

But we gave Caldwell a contract and we should see it out.

59 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Most of our early season points came from moments of inspiration from Erskine, albeit a meagre return.

I agree that Chris is no longer consistently producing but Caldwell rarely if ever starts him, preferring consistently dreadful footballers every week.

It’s about time Caldwell realises he has an asset that, if used properly can provide some desperately needed points on the board. Any other team in our league would love to have Erskine.

I agree with most of the categories but suspect Spittal will revert to his usual garbage. For me, he’s moved from 4 to 2 and hope he continues improving but he has a lot of making up to do.

Elliott and Penrice have also been improving and with continued consistency should move into category 1.

Looking at those in category 4 shows the massive job Caldwell has. There are 11 players in that category ie 11 duds. 11 useless players on our books. 

He didnt sign any of these. So he deserves at least 1 window.

I’m unconvinced by Caldwell’s tactics and team selections, especially as he apparently said he rates Storey. Has he actually evaluated his contributions?

But we gave Caldwell a contract and we should see it out.

So we gave Caldwell a contact for 2 years , a guy who has limited knowledge of being a manager in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, had no experience of building a team with limited resources , so why on earth would they not have a put a probationary clause in it if it wasn’t working out similar to Kenny Miller at Livingston.

If we get relegated the financial implications are horrendous, going from a turnover of £4.5 million to a quarter of that within 2 years .If we’re still in the same position in the next 3 weeks it’s time for him to go , my clubs exsistence is far more important than Gary Caldwell. 

His remit was promotion, once that’s gone he’s failed in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

So we gave Caldwell a contact for 2 years , a guy who has limited knowledge of being a manager in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, had no experience of building a team with limited resources , so why on earth would they not have a put a probationary clause in it if it wasn’t working out similar to Kenny Miller at Livingston.

If we get relegated the financial implications are horrendous, going from a turnover of £4.5 million to a quarter of that within 2 years .If we’re still in the same position in the next 3 weeks it’s time for him to go , my clubs exsistence is far more important than Gary Caldwell. 

His remit was promotion, once that’s gone he’s failed in my opinion.

Spot on.

• Like 1

My own take is as following 

GK 

Bell- not impressed keep as back up 

Lennox- not enough time to assess

Sneddon- keep and play 

Defenders

Oware- injured

McGinty- is ok  but if can get better get rid

Keown - as above

Penrice- keep

Eliott- never a full back but keep and push up the park

Scobbie- loan up would I extend depends on whats out there 

Jeffries- not seen enough of him

Midfielders

Bannigan- keep

Slater- keep 

Spittal- keep is done a disservice by some of our supporters

Erskine- keep as back up or if he can finish  a game 

McCarthy- keep but needs to be fit

Gordon- injured but looked decent

Wilson- will he make it but needs games to see if he can 

NTAMBWE- get rid 

Forwards

Doolan- keep but needs help

Storey- there is something there but is it a footballer?

Storer- loose cannon get rid

Mbtumbo - get rid cant stick to a formation

Fitzpatrick- keep 

Quintongo- should be punted

Coulibaly - injured but keep 

25 players in our 1st team squad that should be capable of getting us to at least the play offs in my opinion. He needs to add a RB , at least on CB , a forward preferably a one that can score and hold the ball up .

But we really need a midfielder that can run forward with the ball and create space for the forwards , wide players . 

Steve Clarke remotivated an existing Killie squad without a drastic clear out. It can be done with the right manager.

I’d be less harsh with the clear out; Quitongo, Storey, Storer, Mtumbo can go. Some of the rest could be useful from-the-bench players. Bearing in mind Banzo may well be off anyway.

• Like 1

Livingston like Killie are another example of the right manager, a lot of people (inc myself) thought they would be cannon fodder in SPL especially after losing their manager, however despite only minor tweaks to their squad they have been a breath of fresh air with a very impressive home record to boot. 

My take on current squad is get rid of Bell, Keown, Mcginty, Ntambwe,Storey.Storer,Scobbie and Quintogo.

3 hours ago, sandy said:

Steve Clarke remotivated an existing Killie squad without a drastic clear out. It can be done with the right manager.

I’d be less harsh with the clear out; Quitongo, Storey, Storer, Mtumbo can go. Some of the rest could be useful from-the-bench players. Bearing in mind Banzo may well be off anyway.

To be fair sandy they clearly had better players than us to get better out of - Boyd, Jordan jones, kiltie, brophy etc etc 

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, Cults Jag said:

I'd have McGinty in Category 5.