Winter window

That 1 jags fan

41 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

The board has backed Caldwell. Now up to him to get us out of the trouble , which he has played a part in us being in.

It looks like he has got rid of some of the higher earners so maybe they haven’t had to give him some cash.  Would think we are only paying a part of loan signings hazard, Anderson, McMillan and mansells wages. Cardle and Roy had been released by clubs and were potentially not getting a wage therefore not convinced they would be on big wages either 

4 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

The Keown on loan during our Top 6 finish in a superb back 3 compared to the Keown who signed permamently and was disappointing in our relegation and current season is baffling.  

Keown didn’t want to be at the club this season after being “forced” into accepting a pay cut by the club publicly stating he’d refused to change his contract (Which the club were happy to sign of on with no relegation clause in it) and it was stopping players coming in as an effect. This has apparently caused problems at training and in the dressing room with bust ups between him and other players due to him not wanting to be here, Caldwell had him training with the kids recently 

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Keown didn’t want to be at the club this season after being “forced” into accepting a pay cut by the club publicly stating he’d refused to change his contract (Which the club were happy to sign of on with no relegation clause in it) and it was stopping players coming in as an effect. This has apparently caused problems at training and in the dressing room with bust ups between him and other players due to him not wanting to be here, Caldwell had him training with the kids recently 

Not an ideal situation but if we have a player taking a decent wage, while not providing the goods on the pitch and being disruptive, I’m all for moving them on. If that means training with the kids then do be it. 

It was, with hindsight, clearly a mistake not having a relegation release clause. Flip side is you might not be able to convince players to sign if there is such a clause. 

31 minutes ago, mad-jag said:

It was, with hindsight, clearly a mistake not having a relegation release clause. Flip side is you might not be able to convince players to sign if there is such a clause. 

Aye, it's most likely similar to high premium insurance. I wouldn't blame Maxwell or whoever was responsible for not placing relegation clauses.  I've never thought it was an oversight more a calculated risk that backfired last season. Put another way we could well have been saving on basic wage the previous four seasons by not having relegation clauses incorporated in various contracts. What tho' is indisputable is the likes of Barton & Keown were nowhere near worthy of the wage they were on .

4 hours ago, allyo said:

I'll reserve judgement until I see a few more results. But on the face of it it looks like a decent transfer window.

I’ll agree with you, I’ll wait and see but the bulk of the first team are still the players who were already there and underachieved under Gary Caldwell, still think we’re short up front for another goalscorer .

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Not sure about any bust ups , the main reason he was training with the youth team is because Caldwell insists on a maximum of 18 first team players at any given training session, not because he was disruptive.

Edited by jlsarmy

18 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I’ll agree with you, I’ll wait and see but the bulk of the first team are still the players who were already there and underachieved under Gary Caldwell, still think we’re short up front for another goalscorer .

Totally agree ,I would take one good striker over 3 players elsewhere before the window closes. Although can’t see why both Roy and Masrell would have been signed in the first place if Caldwell intended for another striker to come in.

1 minute ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Totally agree ,I would take one good striker over 3 players elsewhere before the window closes. Although can’t see why both Roy and Masrell would have been signed in the first place if Caldwell intended for another striker to come in.

Not sure about Mansell and Roy , who are really untested at this level and have no goal scoring record to speak of .

14 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure about Mansell and Roy , who are really untested at this level and have no goal scoring record to speak of .

Yeh well even more ideally I would have already had my tested goal scorer in already in place of either of these 2 but that is obviously easier said than done. Although you never know ,well give them a chance before writing them both off just yet  of course.

Caldwell’s transfer dealings have been really good IMO;

Out

Melbourne, Mtumbo, Quitongo, Jeffries, Scobie, Ntambwe, Keown 

In

Harkins, Hazard, Cardle, Saunders, Anderson, McMillan, Roy, Mansell

probaly missed a few but you get the general idea, I think we are in a better place squad wise than we were when GC came in.

1 hour ago, Vinnyjag said:

Out

In

probaly missed a few but you get the general idea, I think we are in a better place squad wise than we were when GC came in.

7 out 8 in. So, not really a big capital spend. Probably reduced the wage bill by quite a bit. Of course it depends how much we had to pay to move the likes of Ntambwe and Mjumbo on.

6 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Yeh well even more ideally I would have already had my tested goal scorer in already in place of either of these 2 but that is obviously easier said than done. Although you never know ,well give them a chance before writing them both off just yet  of course.

Don’t we already have 2 tested goal scorers in Doolan and Coulibaly. 

I don’t know what Cardles record is like but had certainly started well

2 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

Out

In

He also extended Bannigans contract. 

For the sake of balance, though, we don’t yet know if Roy or Mansell are an upgrade on Mtumbo and Quitongo. And what is the reasoning for saying Anderson is an upgrade on Scobie ?

The relegation clause.  Cast your mind back to the heady innocent times of 2016.  I would have assumed Barton and Keown would have earned transfer fees if we were to lose them but it was not to be.  If Keown didn't want to stay why not just cancel contract?  He isn't  as good as he thinks.  Look at how we are celebrating a 33 year old from St Johnstone as the new Beckenbauer.

4 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

Out

In

Out

Melbourne, Mtumbo, Quitongo, Jeffries, Scobie, Ntambwe, Keown -- Just the sight of that list makes me think: "Duds and losers."

In

Harkins, Hazard, Cardle, Saunders, Anderson, McMillan, Roy, Mansell -- Seeing that list, I think: "potential winners/triers there."

Out

In

Erskine not part of the squad again?

Out

In

You’ve missed both Erskine and Storer.

The erasure of Squiddy is absolutely criminal and I think you’re Gary Caldwell.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

You’ve missed both Erskine and Storer.

The erasure of Squiddy is absolutely criminal and I think you’re Gary Caldwell.

Ha to be fair I did say I would forget a few and didn’t class Squiddy among the Archie fud signings, but can’t believe I forgot Jack..,.

Caldwell has had a good window and there's still time to get one more in and maybe a couple out. 

We now have a decent squad on paper and a much better squad than at the start of the season. 

Archie had a horrendous time signing players this season. Whether this was hindered by the board I don't know but some of his signings looked like panic buys. Caldwell has done well to move a lot of them on. 

We definitely look strong enough to stay up now.

Hazard, Sneddon.

Elliot, Anderson, McMillan, Penrice, Saunders.

Bannigan, Harkins, Spittal, Slater, McCarthy, Cardle, Fitzpatrick.

Coulibally, Mansell, Doolan, Storey, Roy.

Caldwell now has plenty of options and we can start to slowly but surely move up the table.

Well done Gary Caldwell.

• Like 2

Just now, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

Caldwell has had a good window and there's still time to get one more in and maybe a couple out. 

We now have a decent squad on paper and a much better squad than at the start of the season. 

Archie had a horrendous time signing players this season. Whether this was hindered by the board I don't know but some of his signings looked like panic buys. Caldwell has done well to move a lot of them on. 

Hazard, Sneddon.

Caldwell now has plenty of options and we can start to slowly but surely move up the table.

Well done Gary Caldwell.

Ran out of likes.

I'm no caldwell fan..........yet, but i get the impression that, unlike archie who you'd be forgiven for thinking would be too nice, isn't afraid to tell it like it is to players. I suapect if you work for him you will know where you stand.

I thought our squad at the start of the season was strong (on paper) but turned out not to be. It does (again, on paper) seem stronger and on first impression most of the new signing look better than what we had. Early days though

51 minutes ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

Hazard, Sneddon.

Well done Gary Caldwell.

Plus McGinty and we also have Gordon and O'Ware when they come back from injury