Stranraer Cup Game

scotty

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I thought it was about Roy, and I share your sons view about him. It is difficult to judge on 1 showing.

i watched some of the Livingston game vs Hearts yesterday. I am sure the Livingston fans would not be too  enamoured with Erskines abilities

It certainly is. Or is for some anyway.

Roy didn't exactly stake his claim for a first team spot on Saturday's showing but he is a young lad and it was his first start for the club. His work off the ball was good but he struggled to impress in possession.

After Mansell joined last week, I felt the Roy signing a bit of a strange one. I'm not sure how many opportunities he'll get but I think everybody should reserve judgement until seeing him a few times, if of course he gets the chance.

4 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

You seem to be the one with the problem not me. Doolan and Erskine are paid professional football players nothing more nothing less. I made my point, you don't like it,  tough.

I've no problem with anyone at all.

Care to articulate what your problem is with Doolan and Erskine being legends (your words not mine)?

3 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

I have read the word legend so often on this forum. I have told you my opinion. They are not legends and never will be.

But yet you were the one who said this an hour ago:

'Well he is no worse than Erskine was or Doolan is but then again they are legends'

So make up your mind. Are they or aren't they legends?

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Absolutely!! 

There's a reason it had to be said though - are Erskine and Doolan legends or just also rans?

Its a forum so everybody is entitled to their opinion. Erskine and Doolan  Thistle legends imo. I think I am safe in saying Caldwell will never be a Thistle legend. But others might have other thoughts.

5 hours ago, dunnikierjag said:

Well he is no worse than Erskine was or Doolan is but then again they are legends and Roy is just starting a career. Get a ******* grip.

Most supporters like myself judge a player from what they see , first time I saw Brice Ntambwe I knew and most others  knew he was never going to be a player, no idea why we signed him .

Ally Roy , you quite rightly say is starting a career but his goalscoring stats don’t look great and getting released by Dumbarton doesn’t look good on your CV , watched him twice now and he’s not even close to Doolan and Erskine in terms of goalscoring and ability.

We needed a proven goalscorer to help us stay up not a young player learning his trade .

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Most supporters like myself judge a player from what they see , first time I saw Brice Ntambwe I knew and most others  knew he was never going to be a player, no idea why we signed him .

Ally Roy , you quite rightly say is starting a career but his goalscoring stats don’t look great and getting released by Dumbarton doesn’t look good on your CV , watched him twice now and he’s not even close to Doolan and Erskine in terms of goalscoring and ability.

We needed a proven goalscorer to help us stay up not a young player learning his trade .

If I recall correctly, people were raving after Brice Ntambwe's calamitous debut. I'm sure someone even said he would "boss the league".

While I concur with your last sentence, it is obviously a lot  easier said than done. Caldwell looks to have just taken a punt on Roy but he looks to have done likewise with Mansell. Neither are "one for the future" signings as they are both on short term deals. I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt Roy was a strange signing, given he has brought Mansell in as well. Or maybe it is the other way round?

All that said, I feel the criticism of Roy on Saturday's performance was a bit unfair, given it was his first start. I don't remember how many games it was before Kris Doolan scored his first goal for the club but I'm sure he wasn't an instant success.

27 minutes ago, Jag said:

If I recall correctly, people were raving after Brice Ntambwe's calamitous debut. I'm sure someone even said he would "boss the league".

While I concur with your last sentence, it is obviously a lot  easier said than done. Caldwell looks to have just taken a punt on Roy but he looks to have done likewise with Mansell. Neither are "one for the future" signings as they are both on short term deals. I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt Roy was a strange signing, given he has brought Mansell in as well. Or maybe it is the other way round?

All that said, I feel the criticism of Roy on Saturday's performance was a bit unfair, given it was his first start. I don't remember how many games it was before Kris Doolan scored his first goal for the club but I'm sure he wasn't an instant success.

Yeah, Brice got the sponsors man of the match. I thought he looked very rusty, was very slow, late in his challenges and was lucky not to get sent off. Apart from these minor details, he really did have an outstanding debut.

Let's hope that Roy Race just needs a little more time to settle in.

Edited by AndyMac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

We need a proven goal scorer to stay up? Most people would have thought that is Doolan and they would be usually right but this season has been disappointing 

Kris Doolan is obviously a legend. But while he's a player he should be treated the same as any other. For me he's been disappointing this season, but really no more or less so than most others. Still reckon that if anyone is going to score the goals to get us out of this mess, he is probably our best bet.

Unusually this thread has gone slightly off topic!  In our current predicament it really doesn't matter whether Doolan is a legend or not.

Like everything else in football things change fast but based on the evidence we have at the moment we do not have a striker at the club to get us moving up the league.

Mansell has never played at this level, Doolan is struggling and Roy looked poor.  Sammons name keeps reappearing but he is hopeless.

Based on the Stranraer game Caldwells signings have generally improved the team but the striking position once again has not been addressed. It would be kinda strange if Caldwell now brought another striker in. The alternative is for one of the three to hit some sort of form which at present looks unlikely ( Maybe unfairly in Mansells case I'm basing this on his cv rather than watching him play ).

In short if we are to save our place in the Championship its looking like we will have to do it without a proven goalscorer.  It makes things tougher but not impossible.

Anybody got Lyle Taylors phone number??

Edited by Legs Like A Spider

9 hours ago, Jag said:

It may have taken a while for Thistle, but hadn’t he been scoring regularly in the juniors ?

19 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I thought it was about Roy, and I share your sons view about him. It is difficult to judge on 1 showing.

i watched some of the Livingston game vs Hearts yesterday. I am sure the Livingston fans would not be too  enamoured with Erskines abilities

Yeah, i joined the game just before he came on. Thought he should have had a foul right away as naismith had his arm over his neck and shoulders and was, to my sight, pushing down on him. He looked up for it and i thought he was going to go on and play well but was largley anonymous. Even when he went to DU i couldn't help myself wanting him to do well. On his form with us he's short on premier standard but he never got a run in the starting 11. 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

It may have taken a while for Thistle, but hadn’t he been scoring regularly in the juniors ?

I'm honestly not sure but he must have been doing something right.

My point is, as you so rightly said yesterday, it is difficult to judge a player after one game. I saw Lawrence Shankland a few times, once for St Mirren during his second loan spell there and a couple of times at Morton - and he was hopeless. So much so the fans were laughing at him. I couldn't understand what Aberdeen had signed him for and if you look at his goal scoring record there (and his Morton and 2nd St Mirren loan spell), it doesn't make for good reading. He obviously had something though and when he settled at Ayr and got a run of games in a lower division, he started scoring and is now worth, in relative terms, a lot of money.

People slated Kevin Nisbet during his first few appearances at the beginning of last season. This was despite him scoring a lot of goals in the development league. He then had a great game in the cup at Perth and I don't think he started another match for us. Look at Nisbet now. People keep using this phrase "found his level", which I don't think can be attributed to a young player. Who is to say Nisbet can't score 20 plus goals in the Championship next season if Raith Rovers get promoted? I'm not for a minute predicting he will, all I am saying is he may be able to do well at a higher level, like Shankland has.

What jlsarmy was saying was that, in the position we find ourselves in, we don't really have time to wait for a youngster to find his feet. I know exactly what he means but I would still be keen not to write off the ability of Roy after just one start for the team.

• Like 1