East Fife v Jags, 9/2/19

sandy

10 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Was that game not at Dumfries? Colin madam got I think. Huge jags support that day

I think it was at Dumfries with a really big crowd and there was a bit of a stramash at half time. I'm thinking Jim Melrose got a goal that day as well or am I getting all my games mixed up. Sadly the memory is fading now.  It was the previous year though that we were robbed in the semi final by Rangers. Had we made the semi's it would have been the 3rd year in a row. Hard to believe now.

The year we played Rangers we had beaten Dumbarton in the quarter final. Big crowd down there as well. I remember coming back on the train and a bunch of Dumbarton yobs were throwing bricks at the train. Looked out the window to see tons of thistle fans charging across the fields to chase them, It was like a scene from Bannockburn haha!

Strange looking back on that stuff now. It was fun at the time and the Scottish Cup gave us some great days out.

46 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Season 79-80; the game in question was 4th Feb 80. The posters above are correct: the game was indeed at Palmerston, not Firhill. We went on to lose against Aberdeen at Firhill, crowd: 8,500.

Was that the 2-1 defeat against Aberdeen where Ian Mcdonald equalised? My memory of the Palmerston game was that McAdam scored and Melrose got 2. But that could be way off. 

23 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Was that the 2-1 defeat against Aberdeen where Ian Mcdonald equalised? My memory of the Palmerston game was that McAdam scored and Melrose got 2. But that could be way off. 

I think that Aberdeen game you reference was 82/83. Quarter final at Firhill with around 14,000 there. One of my first Jag’s games.

3 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Your Palmerston memory is correct. 

Our scorer against Aberdeen was McAdam (according to the OH).

How handy it is to have a copy of the OH in my office desk drawer!!

1 hour ago, FleetwoodJagreborn said:

Great memories of the cup runs at that time. 2 years in a row. Good time then watching the jags. Travelled  to all the games in the Erskine supporters bus at that time. Rarely missed a match.

As did I lol. You billy by any chance?

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Clyde away 6-0 Jags. After last minute equaliser at Firhill.

Massive riot at the end.

Ah the Scottish Cup!!

My recollection of that game was Brian Whittaker reaching the bye-line, cutting the ball back to Mojo who stuck it away. Good goal? No! The linesman flagged for offside against BW - not in the build up.  But because he was still on the bye-line when the ball entered the net. I have actually tried to get info from Robert Reid about the match officials in that game because I think the diddy linesman actually became a first class (?) referee.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Clyde away 6-0 Jags. After last minute equaliser at Firhill.

Massive riot at the end.

Ah the Scottish Cup!!

Am I right I’m thinking this was made all the sweeter by the first replay being abandoned when the floodlights failed at Shawfield whilst we were 2-1 down. The 6-0 game was one of my first away games ....happy days :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Could be a toughy but confident of a 2/3-0 win for the jags ,fingers crossed I’m right and also as mentioned before definently  helpful getting practice on the Astro turf for Alloa the following week.

What more practice on astro do we need, we train at lesser Hampden. Astro surface..Can't have a complaint about not being able to play on astro..

1 hour ago, sick in the basin said:

Am I right I’m thinking this was made all the sweeter by the first replay being abandoned when the floodlights failed at Shawfield whilst we were 2-1 down. The 6-0 game was one of my first away games ....happy days :)

I thought we were winning, possibly drawing. I’m pretty sure we weren’t losing