Hearts vs Thistle Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay - Tuesday 12 March / Thistle vs Hearts - Scottish Cup Quarter Final - Monday 4 March

jagfox

15 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I watched this on TV ….. a terribly hard watch (barring the 10 minutes in the second half when we actually played to some sort of plan) For those that were actually at the game, please try to have a listen to the commentary of the game from BBC Scotland, particularly the summarising by the guy Michael Stewart. The guy completely nailed the tactics (or lack of) by Thistle in the first half. As said earlier in this thread, it would be good if he could have a word in the ear of our players and manager, they might understand the problems we had in that first half a bit better, and perhaps have a better game plan for the replay.

First half reminded me of our recent insipid performances in the Scottish cup against Aberdeen over the last few years, thankfully the second half didn’t repeat the same scripts as against the dons

I think for a change we should look at the positives from that game.

We are sitting bottom of the championship and were playing a team who for a large part of the season were riding high in the league above.

I don't think anyone can deny we were extremely poor in the first half. We sat off them and allowed them to dictate the play.

However, I thought we were very good in the second half.

We showed a lot more desire and battled away with some strong challenges being thrown about.

Mansell had absolutely nothing to work with but ran his socks off all night. To say he isn't good enough on what was his first start is a  bit harsh. He tired badly and Caldwell should have changed it but he never gave up.

The defence were excellent in the face of a strong Hearts attack. Hard to believe that it was the same team who conceded 7 goals in the last 2 games.

I may be in the minority but I don't think Harkins was that bad. He's never had pace, not sure why that is just being picked up on now! I thought he helped the defence and stood up to the physical nature of Hearts play.

We live to fight another day, hopefully the players will take some confidence from that second half performance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

To be fair their budget and resources is a different planet to ours so that’s not really surprising 

Certainly not a personal go at you TL, but there's something in the above that needs to be questioned.

This use of budgets and resources as a justification for rolling over and dying is an illusion.

This season alone we've seen Auchinleck beat Ayr, Newport beat Leicester City and ...hey... Thistle draw with Hearts. Results that should not happen if the game was purely decided on resources.

I'm young enough to remember the Saturday afternoon in 1967 when Berwick Rangers beat Sevco's predecessors in life, and that was a result that was even more seismic in its time than a certain result I witnessed in October 1971.

Even our own manager was on the bench when Wigan beat Man City in an FA Cup Final that was a nailed on foregone conclusion.

In football, you never, ever say never.

Especially in this season's Scottish Cup.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Certainly not a personal go at you TL, but there's something in the above that needs to be questioned.

This use of budgets and resources as a justification for rolling over and dying is an illusion.

This season alone we've seen Auchinleck beat Ayr, Newport beat Leicester City and ...hey... Thistle draw with Hearts. Results that should not happen if the game was purely decided on resources.

I'm young enough to remember the Saturday afternoon in 1967 when Berwick Rangers beat Sevco's predecessors in life, and that was a result that was even more seismic in its time than a certain result I witnessed in October 1971.

Even our own manager was on the bench when Wigan beat Man City in an FA Cup Final that was a nailed on foregone conclusion.

In football, you never, ever say never.

Especially in this season's Scottish Cup.

That’s very true Barney

Not gonna reply to some of the strange comments re. our performance, but anyway.....

Played narrow in the first half allowing them to get some good crosses in, which we defended really well for the most part.

Kept the game close at 1-0 and then got our reward with an excellent goal. A fantastic pass, brilliant cross and superb finish.

Despite reading and hearing of Hearts demolishing us, I can really only remember a great shot and unbelievable save, other than the goal.

A masterclass in tactics as far as I'm concerned and a real chance to cause an upset at Tynecastle. 

Well played Thistle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Not gonna reply to some of the strange comments re. our performance, but anyway.....

Played narrow in the first half allowing them to get some good crosses in, which we defended really well for the most part.

Kept the game close at 1-0 and then got our reward with an excellent goal. A fantastic pass, brilliant cross and superb finish.

Despite reading and hearing of Hearts demolishing us, I can really only remember a great shot and unbelievable save, other than the goal.

A masterclass in tactics as far as I'm concerned and a real chance to cause an upset at Tynecastle. 

Well played Thistle.

Interesting assessment.

The only bit I agree with is that we (somehow) kept the game close at 0-1.

Oh, and well played Thistle.

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Interesting assessment.

The only bit I agree with is that we (somehow) kept the game close at 0-1.

Oh, and well played Thistle.

Lol. You don't agree with this?

Just now, CotterJag said:

Lol. You don't agree with this?

Look, there are elements of that I do not agree with.

The main ones are that Hearts should have been in the next round by half time.

We also got lucky with our goal which was frankly (just) offside. Not that any of us will ever complain about benefitting from a refereeing decision.

We've made the most of tonight, and now the target of a Scottish Cup Final has only Hearts and Fake Thistle as obstacles. We should move forward with absolute confidence in our own abilities to win this year's Scottish Cup.

Go on Thistle. Delighted with the result, all things considered.

Great to listen to the exasperation and incredulity of the BBC's official Hearts commentary team when Christie smashed in that equaliser. 

I remember way back in the old days when commentators, em, commented on the game being played. Clearly, that modus is now completely outdated and outmoded and their job these days is to speak incessantly and exclusively about Thistle's woes and ongoing league difficulties, liberally interspersed with reminders of the utter superiority of the Premiership team on display in every imaginable respect contrasted by the home team's unremitting ineptitude on the park.

Oh by the way, Michael Stewart, GIRFUY. Aaaah, that feels a lot better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blackpool Jags said:

Go on Thistle. Delighted with the result, all things considered.

Great to listen to the exasperation and incredulity of the BBC's official Hearts commentary team when Christie smashed in that equaliser. 

I remember way back in the old days when commentators, em, commented on the game being played. Clearly, that modus is now completely outdated and outmoded and their job these days is to speak incessantly and exclusively about Thistle's woes and ongoing league difficulties, liberally interspersed with reminders of the utter superiority of the Premiership team on display in every imaginable respect contrasted by the home team's unremitting ineptitude on the park.

Oh by the way, Michael Stewart, GIRFUY. Aaaah, that feels a lot better. 

I thought Michael Stewart was bang on the nuts BJ. Analysed it fairly for me, and certainly was graphic in exposing our weaknesses in the first half.

Liam McLeod on the other hand was a thoroughly irritating we **** whose by-line was that 'Thistle are facing double relegations'.

• Like 1

First half, particularly first 20 min, summed up our form in last 2 games. Looked shite scared and let the opposition dominate the game. Despite that don't really get the Hearts should have been out of sight at half time bullshit. They had one great chance to make it 2 nil and that's about it. 

Thankfully it gradually dawned on us that they weren't that good. Much better second half, mainly because we got in about them. Slater and Harkins, who were dreadful first half, came on to a game. Cardle also made a difference. Free shot in replay, just give it a go Jags. Hearts are nowhere near as good as they think they are. 

Absolutely nothing against Cardle but I don't think his introduction affected the game that much. Fresh legs for Fitzpatrick and playing Joe in his preferred position (Aiden is better on the right) made a slight difference admittedly. Our change of fortunate was more down to Hearts tiring and/or running out of ideas.

For those not at the game it would be difficult to have a scooby what our first half formation was. Roughly we lined up as if we were down to ten men protecting a lead, in other words, ultra narrow. Three centrebacks with the wingbacks withdrawn into holding midfield positions,  a central cluster of three slightly advanced midfielders with one very lonely player upfront. I know that only adds up to ten but I've not been able to figure out where Harkins was deployed. Let's just say he was given a "roving role". Five or so minutes into the 2nd half Harkins's roving took him into the back line, which effectively meant we were playing with four centrebacks for a wee while. 

For all those convoluted quaint tactics our goal came about from that lack of width. Penrice's pass to Slater came from quite a central position and Christie wouldn't possibly have got into score if he'd been playing wider. Cracking goal and our one instance of quality. Strange evening and hopefully a much needed morale booster. 

Yeh first half we where nervous and scared of hearts it was a painful watching but we grew in confidence and showed they really are not that much better than us. Northy atmosphere was the best I can remember for a very long time and the goal was fantastic scenes ,also can’t remember when I last went so mental . I also really don’t understand the hate for harkins ,on the ball he wasn’t great held onto it too long a couple of times but really I struggle to pick many thistle players who got more involved ,won more headers or mad more tackles than he did. Mansell also I thought the lad absolutely ran his socks off despite being visibly f****d at the end he kept at it and gave it it his all. Admittedly I don’t thing the boy is up to anything special by any means but he really did give it his all. Anderson struggled ,Spittal quiet ,slater was very poor but had a great second half  ,fitzy quiet ,McMillan and Elliot both ok second half’s but where absolutely torn apart first half,big hazard was much better with crosses and good handling can’t fault him for the goal. Penrice was good too didn’t do anything wrong .Saunders was my man of the match thought he was excellent battled away hard against a really tough opponent in that huge lad up top. Special mention to cardle who I thought changed the game . Extra special mention to our miles who was useless ,as always.  All in all realistically not the worst result in the world  ,still in the cup another pay day with that and never say never eh? Mon the Jags.

There seems to be plenty of willingness to defend Hazard, but his positioning for the goal was dreadful, and he watched a ball make its way along the crossbar. His recent record also leaves some questions to be asked. I'd prefer to see Sneddon back between the sticks, even if he isn't so tall.

28 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

There seems to be plenty of willingness to defend Hazard, but his positioning for the goal was dreadful, and he watched a ball make its way along the crossbar. His recent record also leaves some questions to be asked. I'd prefer to see Sneddon back between the sticks, even if he isn't so tall.

Haven’t seen the goal back admittedly so maybe I was wrong in saying he could do nothing about it.