Hearts vs Thistle Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay - Tuesday 12 March / Thistle vs Hearts - Scottish Cup Quarter Final - Monday 4 March

jagfox

16 minutes ago, Bristol City Jag said:

997 Thistle fans there tonight. Great support and players gave it a good go. Thought both Hearts goals were very avoidable. Storey did very little but could have got us a penalty at the death. Ref was awful, again!

Madden is totally infuriating. He misses so much and plays down so many genuine fouls while tolerating no end of kidology. On the plus side I don't feel he's arrogant and appears approachable'  

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Madden is totally infuriating. He misses so much and plays down so many genuine fouls while tolerating no end of kidology. On the plus side I don't feel he's arrogant and appears approachable'  

Was a strange appointment for match in first place given he was ref at Firhill in 1-1 game and came in for a lot of flack from Levein for not awarding them a pen that night.  Could that affected his performance which was imo very poor.  Can be infuirating at times with the refs, no apology for Dools ghost goal yet Steven McLean phones Gerrard for not awarding them a foul in Fridays game v Hibs.

Anyways unlucky Jags, the bread and butter pudding matches start this Sat.

Just now, elevenone said:

Was a strange appointment for match in first place given he was ref at Firhill in 1-1 game and came in for a lot of flack from Levein for not awarding them a pen that night.  Could that affected his performance which was imo very poor.  Can be infuirating at times with the refs, no apology for Dools ghost goal yet Steven McLean phones Gerrard for not awarding them a foul in Fridays game v Hibs.

Anyways unlucky Jags, the bread and butter pudding matches start this Sat.

I've been going to football for about 30 years and in every cup game that goes to a replay the ref is also the same.

Just watched the BBC highlights.  They said we should have had a penalty near the end and that the 2nd Hearts pen shouldn't have been given.   Big thing is players will be down but should recover quickly with no loss of confidence.  Hopefully no serious knocks.  

Falkirk got beat tonight - one game you'd might expect  they would get beat, so our game against them now is extra important. 

28 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

I've been going to football for about 30 years and in every cup game that goes to a replay the ref is also the same.

I did not know that, you learn something new every day.  Makes Leveins comments last week even ‘cuter’ then with replay in mind.

While we didn't get the result we wanted, the performance must give us some hope. As somebody said, the players will be down, but shouldn't have lost any confidence.

A few '6 pointers' coming up, if we play as well as we did last night, we should be able to stroll out of the relegation zone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fenski said:

We competed well. There were spells in the 2nd half when it felt like we were going to get something. For all the criticism of Storey on here, I thought he put himself about well and gave the hearts defence alot more to think about than Mansell.

Storey always gives 100% and runs fast. Problem is he doesn't trouble any defence and isn't a footballer. Scott McDonald has shown more as a striker / attacker in a few games than Storey has shown in a couple of seasons. As well as effort its about positional sense, composure, skill, awareness and of course putting the ball in the back of the net. Doolan also has these attributes although he has gone off the boil.  Sadly in the modern game it also helps to be able to play the referee, knowing when to go down and have a bit of an edge.  I don't get the obsession on here that if you run about a lot you are brilliant.  If moves keep breaking down when the ball gets to you then you are not an asset. 

Btw the jury is still out on Mansell as well although he is young and still learning his trade so should be cut a bit of slack.

29 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Btw the jury is still out on Mansell as well although he is young and still learning his trade so should be cut a bit of slack.

Agree with your sentiment but at what age do think a young right footed player should start using his left foot, even if only occasionally?

Maybe I should ask Paul Paton? :)

Gutted that we shot ourselves in the foot last night. Neither side did enough to win and the tie merited a penalty shoot-out. It's a sickener to think that Madden's penalty inclinations were pre-supposed (very crafty Levein), and the second was completely out of order. By contrast, it's outrageous that he denied us such an obvious penalty in the last minute. He clearly didn't fancy another 30 minutes in the rain.

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Storey always gives 100% and runs fast. Problem is he doesn't trouble any defence and isn't a footballer. Scott McDonald has shown more as a striker / attacker in a few games than Storey has shown in a couple of seasons. As well as effort its about positional sense, composure, skill, awareness and of course putting the ball in the back of the net. Doolan also has these attributes although he has gone off the boil.  Sadly in the modern game it also helps to be able to play the referee, knowing when to go down and have a bit of an edge.  I don't get the obsession on here that if you run about a lot you are brilliant.  If moves keep breaking down when the ball gets to you then you are not an asset. 

Coming on as sub against a tiring defence Storey did trouble the defence with his pace, enough for Berra to make a reckless challenge that we should have got a penalty for. However, unfortunately, he doesn't often trouble the goalkeeper or show the composure, skill and awareness you refer too.  

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I've only seen Mansell in the two Hearts games. On that evidence I think he's still got a lot of developing to do. Pity that's not what he's here for. ETA: well from a Thistle perspective, that's not what he's here for...

Edited by fenski

20 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Well, we just didn't get the luck on the night, but there wasn't much in it so we can take some positives from our display and hopefully start digging out some points in the league.  Not sure what Storey brings to the party these days.

He is a fast runner. Nothing else.

Just watched highlights back. Wasn't sure about our last minute penalty claim last night but seeing it again I think it was a penalty - and certainly more of a penalty than the one Hertz got in the 2nd half. Madden clearly didn't want to give it. Decent performance though I wasn't that impressed with Hertz. Thought their goals were avoidable and I'm slightly concerned for the remaining league games that, as we aren't prolific scorers, points will be squandered unless we stop conceding soft goals. 

4 hours ago, Motherwell Jag said:

Just watched highlights back. Wasn't sure about our last minute penalty claim last night but seeing it again I think it was a penalty - and certainly more of a penalty than the one Hertz got in the 2nd half. Madden clearly didn't want to give it. Decent performance though I wasn't that impressed with Hertz. Thought their goals were avoidable and I'm slightly concerned for the remaining league games that, as we aren't prolific scorers, points will be squandered unless we stop conceding soft goals. 

Where I was standing (ready to get a quick getaway) was very close to the incident and imo a clear penalty. Nearer than about anybody tho' was the linesman. I can accept Madden may not have had a clear view or be a distance from the tackle but it's hard to believe that the lino couldn't have seen it was both a foul and inside the box. 

Hearts were the better team but it is true we gave both goals away cheaply as I suppose they did  when we scored. Given the conditions I feel both teams should be excused at least one mix up each so I don't think we were too shaky defensively. On balance I thought we perhaps deserved to at least take the game into extra time. 

On 3/13/2019 at 12:22 PM, stuart_adam said:

Stonewall penalty. Shocking officiating. Not overly surprised though.

Unlucky Thistle. Time to concentrate on the league and do what we can to stay up.

Other "bigger" teams will get the penalty 9 times out of 10 against us.

We are Thistle; referees know that they can get away with giving us f*** all most of the time.

'Twas always thus.

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Other "bigger" teams will get the penalty 9 times out of 10 against us.

We are Thistle; referees know that they can get away with giving us f*** all most of the time.

'Twas always thus.

The same for all of the "small teams" when playing the ugly sisters, either of the ugly sisters cousins and the illegitimate step cousins in sheep shagging land. Has always been so.

Heartened to hear of the performance of our team, fingers crossed for Saturday. A win will boost the confidence no end.

're LiB's comments about deserving extra time, in a way I'm glad we didn't. It might have effected our performance and fitness for falkirks game?

Would have been interesting to see if there would have been a call for a change of venue rather than Hampden for Thistle v Thistle.  A 50,000 seater stadium with a small crowd would  have been an unedifying spectacle for the suits and blazers.  Any thoughts on what the crowd might have been and a more suitable venue?  

53 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Would have been interesting to see if there would have been a call for a change of venue rather than Hampden for Thistle v Thistle.  A 50,000 seater stadium with a small crowd would  have been an unedifying spectacle for the suits and blazers.  Any thoughts on what the crowd might have been and a more suitable venue?  

Even with a reduced crowd it would have had to be halogen surely.

You couldn't support a move thus denying all the supporters, especially ours, the chance to go to the national stadium and deny the players, some of whom might never have and may never, play at the national stadium, the chance to step into the hallowed turf?