Hearts vs Thistle Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay - Tuesday 12 March / Thistle vs Hearts - Scottish Cup Quarter Final - Monday 4 March

jagfox

46 minutes ago, Bristol City Jag said:

Love this quote in the article:  'But they are understood to have been shocked and angered by the sheer volume of loose change which was hurled into the technical area from tossers in the main stand. ' 

Think they've summed it up quite nicely.

The tossers bit made me chuckle.  He should goad them at Tynecastle as this loose change can soon mount up and could maybe be an extra player in the summer.  :P

The knot of around 40 (?) supporters immediately behind the old tunnel/Thistle dugout (the guys standing/jumping/banging the drum) are the obvious "persons of interest" - unless there were Hearts fans further up towards the Director's box throwing coins over their heads.  In either case did no Director from either club see what was going on?  Sad that those who behave have to be punished but it would seem sensible to cordon off that section of seats to all away fans from now on.  

When Hearts scored maroon smoke billowed out of the CW stand at the bing end.  This is the same stand Thistle have always been "advised" by the police not to allow Old Firm fans to occupy in case they play with their fireworks.  Didn't see it myself but if (as posted earlier) the flare just missed a ballboy/girl then it's doubly ridiculous.

PS.   Pet hate.  Have never understood why organisers of big sporting events (football, rugby etc) persist in these pyrotechnics before the kick-off.  When the smoke gets trapped under wrap-around roofs it takes ages to clear and spectators and players alike have to breathe it in.

8 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

The knot of around 40 (?) supporters immediately behind the old tunnel/Thistle dugout (the guys standing/jumping/banging the drum) are the obvious "persons of interest" - unless there were Hearts fans further up towards the Director's box throwing coins over their heads.  In either case did no Director from either club see what was going on?  Sad that those who behave have to be punished but it would seem sensible to cordon off that section of seats to all away fans from now on.  

When Hearts scored maroon smoke billowed out of the CW stand at the bing end.  This is the same stand Thistle have always been "advised" by the police not to allow Old Firm fans to occupy in case they play with their fireworks.  Didn't see it myself but if (as posted earlier) the flare just missed a ballboy/girl then it's doubly ridiculous.

That occurred to me as well. If the directors and bigwigs sat thru all that it's not much of an advert for self policing, which I surmise will be many club's counter to strict liability.

Re your last para, as said before we can't take any moral high ground on that subject. 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, allyo said:

What I think is really clear is that our team's performance is massively affected by confidence and self-belief. While this is normal, it seems exaggerated with the current Thistle team. In terms of ability I don't think we should be at the bottom of the league, but we are. I think this is down to team morale and very shaky mental strength which quickly collapses when things go against us. I think it was a weakness under Archie and continues to be so.

The Ross County collapse, after being on a good run, was recent evidence of this. So was the way that Thistle eventually, very slowly, got into the game last night. We were hopeless at the start, but got much better as confidence started to return. It's not about trying harder, it's much more complex than that.

It makes the rest of the season difficult to predict. We could very easily go straight down. But if we can take confidence from last night, build on it in the next few games, we are very capable of climbing out of this. Players shouldn't be written off after a couple of bad games. But neither should we get too complacent if things go well for a few games.

What isn't clear to me is how much responsibility the manager takes for this. He has responsibility for signing players, picking the team, sorting tactics. And yes, he has responsibility for making sure the attitude is right. But sorting mental fragility is a very very difficult thing to do, and if that is running through our team then he's up against it. At the moment, having seen a team that was capable of winning a few games then falling apart as soon as things go wrong, I'm less inclined to blame and more inclined to just hope.

I reckon our support could be essential.  

In a nutshell. We really, really should be able to reach 9th at least. Great result, despite the performance, but the utter pessimist in me is concerned that there is a danger that the cup run detracts from our league performance. Be interesting to see if there are any after affects come Saturday.

I think the lucky draw against HoM followed by a good win against DUFC this coming Saturday would go a long way to helping our cause in avoiding relegation. Like you say regarding the fragility of the team, if they can get a bit of momentum and a bit of self-belief I think they will survive this horrible season. Then as a football club, we just draw a line, and start again for 2019/2020 season …… the only question would then be if we want to keep GC as a manager?

5 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think the lucky draw against HoM followed by a good win against DUFC this coming Saturday would go a long way to helping our cause in avoiding relegation. Like you say regarding the fragility of the team, if they can get a bit of momentum and a bit of self-belief I think they will survive this horrible season. Then as a football club, we just draw a line, and start again for 2019/2020 season …… the only question would then be if we want to keep GC as a manager?

If he gets us to the semi, possibly the final, and keeps us up, this will easily have exceeded my expectation at the start of the season.

However, a quarter final and relegation would require his sacking. It’s a fine line between the darkness and the dawn!

Exciting times ahead.

23 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Don't think that there is any need to make it all ticket..Likely just pay at the gate.Can't see us taking any more than 500/600..

I think that speaks volumes. Even with the bunnett in charge, if memory serves me well, we took a sizeable crowd to tynecastle. With the prospect of beating an average Hearts team a semi final against inverness, and we only took a paltry support, it would surely represent a vote of no confidence in the team in its entirety.

46 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

I think that speaks volumes. Even with the bunnett in charge, if memory serves me well, we took a sizeable crowd to tynecastle. With the prospect of beating an average Hearts team a semi final against inverness, and we only took a paltry support, it would surely represent a vote of no confidence in the team in its entirety.

I remember that being at the weekend,  though. I think it might have been quite early on a Sunday.

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

I think this is part of the malaise that is affecting the support at the moment, regardless of the GC's qualities as a manager he has never struck me as a good fit for PTFC. I think his misplaced arrogance struck the support as being the act of a buffoon, and then when the team failed to respond to this new 'dynamic' manager we began to feel let down and stitched up. On a personal note, my plan to buy a 1/2 season ticket at Xmas was shelved, and I think there were a few more who put off investing in the club simply because we did not want to appear to be commending or applauding this manager.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I remember that being at the weekend,  though. I think it might have been quite early on a Sunday.

Lunchtime ko on Saturday 25th February 2006.

Sky announced they were taking the fixture soon after the draw was made but before the replay with Fake Thistle (then in the top division) had taken place, hence the early ko.

Nowadays they await the outcome of replays before they make a decision on which fixtures to televise.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Lunchtime ko on Saturday 25th February 2006.

Sky announced they were taking the fixture soon after the draw was made but before the replay with Fake Thistle (then in the top division) had taken place, hence the early ko.

Nowadays they await the outcome of replays before they make a decision on which fixtures to televise.

The early KO was due to Scotland v England egg chasing at Murrayfield later that day.

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think this is part of the malaise that is affecting the support at the moment, regardless of the GC's qualities as a manager he has never struck me as a good fit for PTFC. I think his misplaced arrogance struck the support as being the act of a buffoon, and then when the team failed to respond to this new 'dynamic' manager we began to feel let down and stitched up. On a personal note, my plan to buy a 1/2 season ticket at Xmas was shelved, and I think there were a few more who put off investing in the club simply because we did not want to appear to be commending or applauding this manager.

The malaise has been there way before Caldwells tenure. Let's stick to the facts. There will not be a huge turnout of thistle fans because....We are outside bet at best, its a midweek replay, its expensive. Also the game on Monday was awful. What do people expect?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

The malaise has been there way before Caldwells tenure. Let's stick to the facts. There will not be a huge turnout of thistle fans because....We are outside bet at best, its a midweek replay, its expensive. Also the game on Monday was awful. What do people expect?

Couldn't agree more, but I don't think that would be disputed by many on here.

4 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I actually think the malaise might have been going on for the last year and a half and not just when Caldwell was appointed to be honest 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I actually think the malaise might have been going on for the last year and a half and not just when Caldwell was appointed to be honest 

These things are totally subjective of course and, unless you've got an exceptional gift, they're always viewed in hindsight. My idea of when the malaise started would be approximately around of the time of the winter break last year. Prior in the season to that we hadn't been doing that well but that was kinda normal in the first part of any recent season. We also had a depleted squad thru injury, which made poorer results that more acceptable.

Really feel that too much was anticipated of those returning from injury and failure to take out some insurance in the Jan'18 transfer window cost us big time.  Certainly hindsight for me as I was enthused knowing Osman in particular was fit again. You can argue that one solitary goal late in the season against Motherwell at Firhill would've got us 10th place and safety. That said very much doubt we'd be anywhere but bottom of the top division just now had we stayed up. Fair to assume Archie would still have been sacked and I could still envisage Caldwell getting the gig.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1