Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

6 hours ago, AndyMac said:

A good manager is a good leader.

A good leader knows their own mind and makes their own decisions.

A good leader doesn't try to pass the buck to others.

Ok.....

a good manager is not  necessarily a good leader ....can be two different things 

well yes but they can take inputs and ideas from others including employees ie players 

yes they are accountable 

It sounds like exactly what it is - not the clever ‘marginal gains’, Team Sky-esque approach Caldwell thinks it is, but instead a cringeworthy middle management-style stunt that’s straight out of a scene from The Office.

Caldwell is Brent, Kerr is Gareth, but unfortunately it will win no awards and not be critically acclaimed because it’s absolutely and mortifyingly embarrassing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

It sounds like exactly what it is - not the clever ‘marginal gains’, Team Sky-esque approach Caldwell thinks it is, but instead a cringeworthy middle management-style stunt that’s straight out of a scene from The Office.

Caldwell is Brent, Kerr is Gareth, but unfortunately it will win no awards and not be critically acclaimed because it’s absolutely and mortifyingly embarrassing.

Yes, I’ll ask the players to pick their 11 in secret but it will have no bearing on what I actually decide. So a futile exercise.

How would you feel as a player reading that Scum article now? Duped?

This is not a manager who is building trust & respect in the dressing room. This is not a manager. 

He is making our Club a laughing stock. He needs to go. Now please. 

• Like 1

Would it not just be easier to get McDonald to pick the team? He's the only guaranteed pick and he's done everything else for Caldwell

BTW - if this escapade is the final nail for Caldwell how about a managerial team of McDonald with Craigan as assistant?

He says the players in the dressing room know their team mates more than the manager. Surely it’s LITERALLY the manager’s job to know his players more than anyone? Be aware of their character (Caldwell’s favourite phrase), attitude, motivation etc. 

What a joke. 

• Like 1

The whole episode looks to be one of trying to find a collective responsibility? I think he may have thought this as a positive way to galvanise the team …. but  IMO it has backfired, and I might add that the no show at the POTY was a serious managerial error.

Best for GC to shut up and try to have the team in a good frame of mind for Dumfries, he had put himself in a bit of a hole, the term is 'stop digging' ….

My feeling is the only people to benefit from this is the management and playing staff of QoS

I hope the likes of Dools, Skippy, Christie and Banzo will be able to exert a calming and winning influence on the team.

Even with all this shyte going on in the background, I see us winning 0-1

5 minutes ago, marco77 said:

Don't see anything wrong with the article. Caldwell asked players to name a team, by doing so finds out who the players trust to get a result. These things happen all the time, just highlighted by a newspaper. 

Don’t be naive , players talk to each other , even last night at the sponsor’s event you could see there was players who were more comfortable in each other’s company .

This type of management can only cause division not foster team spirit.

20 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t be naive , players talk to each other , even last night at the sponsor’s event you could see there was players who were more comfortable in each other’s company .

This type of management can only cause division not foster team spirit.

Not being naive, just being a realist. No matter what Caldwell tries, people are instantly up in arms. Somethings work and something's don't. Personally don't see what the fuss is all about.

In any team, office, factory etc there are people who are more comfortable with each other. That's life. 

1 hour ago, marco77 said:

Don't see anything wrong with the article. Caldwell asked players to name a team, by doing so finds out who the players trust to get a result. These things happen all the time, just highlighted by a newspaper. 

But in no way is this going to be used to affect team selection or team shape. So what is the benefit of knowing?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

But in no way is this going to be used to affect team selection or team shape. So what is the benefit of knowing?

Perhaps with an eye on next season? I'm guessing it was meant to stay in the dressing room but now having to discuss it. 

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

The whole episode looks to be one of trying to find a collective responsibility? I think he may have thought this as a positive way to galvanise the team …. but  IMO it has backfired, and I might add that the no show at the POTY was a serious managerial error.

Best for GC to shut up and try to have the team in a good frame of mind for Dumfries, he had put himself in a bit of a hole, the term is 'stop digging' ….

My feeling is the only people to benefit from this is the management and playing staff of QoS

I hope the likes of Dools, Skippy, Christie and Banzo will be able to exert a calming and winning influence on the team.

Even with all this shyte going on in the background, I see us winning 0-1

Tbh it worries me that the players down tools this Sat because of all this kind of sh*te. Caldwell needs to get a grip of his approach over the next few crucial days. 

6 minutes ago, sandy said:

Tbh it worries me that the players down tools this Sat because of all this kind of sh*te. Caldwell needs to get a grip of his approach over the next few crucial days. 

I think GC main error here was to use social media … these straw polls have been used for hundreds of years in competitive business [although, in truth, I have never heard of one being used to pick (or get feedback) for a professional football team] If this was something done informally at a training session it could perhaps have been more effective?

I think we have the backbone of a very good team, and a number of players that are not only talented footballers, but also good people ….. I don't see 'toys getting thrown out of the pram' at Dumfries on Saturday.

16 hours ago, London Exile said:

Not sure that's true. Same five or six posting the same message day after day and shouting down anyone that disagrees  just gives the impression that there's more of them. 

I think you, and the other fan bois, should write the names of those suspected 'five or six' down and put the list into a white envelope, and hand it to GC (or MI6 or Mossad, whatever) to be opened at 3 o'clock on Saturday.

Roll up, roll up, see Caldo the Clown's latest  cunning stunt!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Would it not just be easier to get McDonald to pick the team? He's the only guaranteed pick and he's done everything else for Caldwell

BTW - if this escapade is the final nail for Caldwell how about a managerial team of McDonald with Craigan as assistant?

Too many would be moaning because Doolan is not there - even though McDonald appears far more a leader than Doolan ever will be

28 minutes ago, sandy said:

What’s the basis of this?....your imagination

16 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think GC main error here was to use social media … these straw polls have been used for hundreds of years in competitive business [although, in truth, I have never heard of one being used to pick (or get feedback) for a professional football team] If this was something done informally at a training session it could perhaps have been more effective?

I think we have the backbone of a very good team, and a number of players that are not only talented footballers, but also good people ….. I don't see 'toys getting thrown out of the pram' at Dumfries on Saturday.

Most teams use WhatsApp groups these days 

32 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Most teams use WhatsApp groups these days 

But not for 'straw polls' of this nature, that could have been done in a better more informal way. Still what is done is done, just draw a line and move on. I don't really think this sort of thing is any kind of a disaster, just a distraction. [and a bit of fun for some Clyde & PTFC supporters - see  the P&B forum]

• admin locked this topic