Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

Right now we are in a better position than either Queen's or Alloa. We have the points on the board. Worst case scenario we end up in the playoffs.

Let's keep the head and the hatchet buried for the time being.

We are not very good, but we are good enough to avoid the drop.

We can do it ....................:thumbsup2:

Edited by AndyMac
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

We have got a draw against County away and beaten Ayr away from home but we have no chance of beating Queens away? Don't understand the logic of some on here. 

Why be logical when you can stick the boot in. The guys I watch the games with have varying views before a ball is kicked. Some are positive. Some fear the worst.....but each and every one of them retain a degree of hope. They and me don't write the team off irrespective of the opposition. I just hope the team rises to the occasion and we get a key result. Why think the worst?

9 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I think the trepidation comes from the fact that this club are absolute bottle-merchants who have already shown (e.g. Livingston last season) that the arse collapses when it is all on the line. QoS will fancy their chances.

Fair enough to quote the play offs last year to show Thistle's fragility under pressure.

However, the most direct comparison for the single away game v QoS, is the single away game v Dundee with which we rounded off our league season last year.  Granted that it was not a  head to head, but we still had to equal or better Ross County's result against St Johnstone. In some ways the pressure was even greater, as failure meant automatic relegation, not merely dropping into a play-off. 

County scored early, so for an hour or so, in the real time table, we were going down. Nevertheless the team withstood that extra pressure, and managed to find a way to score and win the game, rendering Ross County's final result (a draw thanks to a late St Johnstone equaliser) irrelevant. 

So, no bottle merchandising that day. It was all on the line, and the lads came through (temporarily!). 

3 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

The interview back in October...

GC “this is the worst team ever. I won’t be able to do anything with them until I sign 10 players in January. Then we’ll go into the last game of the season trying to avoid 9th spot”.

JL “sounds great Gary. When can you start?”.

On the basis that didn’t happen then surely he has to go? 

Hopefully we get over the line on Saturday and then start looking for a better manager. 

We cannot afford to fire him, he is on a lucrative deal (Higher than Archie so I’ve been told) and so confident the chairman was in him it’s a rolling contract he signed. Unless Uncle Colin wants to sub us some more cash or Maxi offers him the Scotland job he’s here for a few years

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

We cannot afford to fire him, he is on a lucrative deal (Higher than Archie so I’ve been told) and so confident the chairman was in him it’s a rolling contract he signed. Unless Uncle Colin wants to sub us some more cash or Maxi offers him the Scotland job he’s here for a few years

Jeez... what a mess! 

1 hour ago, Alan Murray said:

We have got a draw against County away and beaten Ayr away from home but we have no chance of beating Queens away? Don't understand the logic of some on here. 

We will set up not to get beat on Saturday, and believe we will get beat.

More worryingly is my gut says Alloa are capable of beating Ayr

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

We will set up not to get beat on Saturday, and believe we will get beat.

More worryingly is my gut says Alloa are capable of beating Ayr

Why? Our form shows we are more than capable of winning the match.  Alloa have a tough match away.

The play-off is possible but the odds are in our favor to avoid them. 

6 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Why? Our form shows we are more than capable of winning the match.  Alloa have a tough match away.

The play-off is possible but the odds are in our favor to avoid them. 

Our tactics and selection are all over the place, especially our starting 11

We started wrong against Alloa, and against Ayr yesterday.

Im not disputing our results recently, but I think we’ve had a lot of luck in these especially the Alloa game

Alloa though as a part time team have pushed every team they’ve played this season and i expect them and Queens to want this more, we still (the club) believe we’re a top 8 team, we not top 20 but the attitude has let us sleepwalk into relegation plus set us up as a scalp to take. The program notes on Saturday slagging Ayr (Plus getting their name wrong) sums us up, plastic big time Charlie’s 

As for odds in our favor, as a jags fan the things we know don’t work out are when odds are in our favor, playing at or home in front of a big home support or jumping ahead of ourselves. 

Edited by Norgethistle

Not sure if Dobbie's fit for them, but if he is, we could realistically be looking at the play-offs. I think Alloa are capable of beating a weakened Ayr side. McCall has earned the right to do what's bext for him, ie focus on the play-offs at the other end of the table.

I'm saddened to hear we're stuck with Caldwell for the medium to long term. I'll support Thistle till I die and way beyond that, but I would feel much better if he just fcuked off or we could sack him and get a decent manager that could offer us some hope for next season. Groan. 

25 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Fair enough to quote the play offs last year to show Thistle's fragility under pressure.

However, the most direct comparison for the single away game v QoS, is the single away game v Dundee with which we rounded off our league season last year.  Granted that it was not a  head to head, but we still had to equal or better Ross County's result against St Johnstone. In some ways the pressure was even greater, as failure meant automatic relegation, not merely dropping into a play-off. 

County scored early, so for an hour or so, in the real time table, we were going down. Nevertheless the team withstood that extra pressure, and managed to find a way to score and win the game, rendering Ross County's final result (a draw thanks to a late St Johnstone equaliser) irrelevant. 

So, no bottle merchandising that day. It was all on the line, and the lads came through (temporarily!). 

TWO players from that day started yesterday - one playing in a different position, and one who was subbed at half time that day (and ought to have been yesterday!)

Its as irrelevant as our league position is to Caldwell

25 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

That's astonishing if true - absolute dereliction of duty

Form doesn’t matter a toss coming into this game

Queens got beaten by top looking to win the league we got beaten by 3rd top who had nothing to play for.

There is still an apathy to our situation, Fans on Thursday saying we’d get 5th the power the league next year, stating Alloa and Queens are worse than us, both can go past us on Saturday. 

The hungrier teams, whether that be Alloa, Queens or us will win on Saturday. 

How many of our squad are away after Saturday? So what does it really matter to some of them, they’re back to parent clubs, moving on or hanging up their boots. (I’d take Doolan out that equation).

Lennox, Hazard,, McMillan, Anderson,  Cardle, Gordon,  McCarthy, Slater, Spittal, Coulibally, Doolan, Mansell, Macdonald, Roy,  and Storey are all gone in May.

We have 11 players signed up for next year including 2 keepers and no forwards. Of those 11 that includes Bell, Keown and a 35 year old Harkins 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Who would give somebody who had been sacked by their previous 2 clubs and also been relegated with them a lucrative contract? His agent must be Derren Brown.

2 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

It's based on a game by game performance and cos we can be great one week and sh1t the next it has created despondency. Is it little wonder many on here are being negative/realistic/despondent.

27 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Queens got beaten by top looking to win the league we got beaten by 3rd top who had nothing to play for.

There is still an apathy to our situation, Fans on Thursday saying we’d get 5th the power the league next year, stating Alloa and Queens are worse than us, both can go past us on Saturday. 

How many of our squad are away after Saturday? So what does it really matter to some of them, they’re back to parent clubs, moving on or hanging up their boots. (I’d take Doolan out that equation).

Lennox, Hazard,, McMillan, Anderson,  Cardle, Gordon,  McCarthy, Slater, Spittal, Coulibally, Doolan, Mansell, Macdonald, Roy,  and Storey are all gone in May.

We have 11 players signed up for next year including 2 keepers and no forwards. Of those 11 that includes Bell, Keown and a 35 year old Harkins 

Agree in a way regarding loan players. But also I hope even though they are loan players they wouldn't want a relegation from the Championship on their cv. Also according to the official site Keown's contract expires end of May this year.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Slater is signed for next year. Chance that Cardle, Gordon, Spittal, Doolan, Mansell, and Macdonald could stay. 

They will be on a big bonus for next week so they do have plenty to play for. 

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Our tactics and selection are all over the place, especially our starting 11

We started wrong against Alloa, and against Ayr yesterday.

Im not disputing our results recently, but I think we’ve had a lot of luck in these especially the Alloa game

Alloa though as a part time team have pushed every team they’ve played this season and i expect them and Queens to want this more, we still (the club) believe we’re a top 8 team, we not top 20 but the attitude has let us sleepwalk into relegation plus set us up as a scalp to take. The program notes on Saturday slagging Ayr (Plus getting their name wrong) sums us up, plastic big time Charlie’s 

As for odds in our favor, as a jags fan the things we know don’t work out are when odds are in our favor, playing at or home in front of a big home support or jumping ahead of ourselves. 

So no point in the jags support turning up as we are getting beat. Maybe the thistle support should go and watch alloa instead? 

11 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Right now we are in a better position than either Queen's or Alloa. We have the points on the board. Worst case scenario we end up in the playoffs.

Let's keep the head and the hatchet buried for the time being.

We are not very good, but we are good enough to avoid the drop.

We can do it ....................:thumbsup2:

Understatement.

• Haha 1

Irespective of the outcome next week, and assuming that the board has the gumption to sack Caldwell, do we really have any confidence that Jacqui Low et al have the ability to choose a better manager than Caldwell?  The problems at the Club run deep.

That said, and for what it's worth I think we will avoid the play offs and stay up.  That is based on some sort of logic that says that because we are the great unpredictables, we are unpredictable at being the great unpredictables. 

Edited by eljaggo

10 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I think the trepidation comes from the fact that this club are absolute bottle-merchants who have already shown (e.g. Livingston last season) that the arse collapses when it is all on the line. QoS will fancy their chances.

Of course they will fancy their chances. So did we before Saturday. Football doesn’t always turn out the way you expect/want/hope/fear. And I am sincerely hoping that this game doesn’t turn out the way I fear.

I think QOTS will be bricking it as much as we are

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Wigan - Relegated - Sacked.

Chesterfield - Relegated - Sacked - blames the Board.

PTFC - Relegation Zone - 3 times the budget of Ayr - blames the players.

Some 'facts' for the Gradgrinds there.

Anybody see a pattern? I think I see two.

A windbag and a tosser, a Big-Time Charlie who is a small-time serial loser.

I think I know how the pattern continues.

Wigan - promotion - manager of the year? 

• admin locked this topic