Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

Relegated to League One (i.e. third tier - sound familiar?)

Promoted, then sacked as the team was heading, er, back to the third tier (again) in 23rd position and without a win in four games (mickey mouse trophies don't get you league points).

Seemed to have a penchant for third tier football. Still has.

4 hours ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

Wigan - promotion - manager of the year? 

He was terrible for Wigan until the January window, when Wigan gave him money to buy the league. He couldn't help but win the league with the money he was given, said  Wigan fans on one of their websites. On Wigan and Chesterfield forums you will be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks he is a good manager and who weren't happy to see him go.

To present  Wigan winning the Third Tier (having got them there) as a 'success' is : a) the fan bois really scraping the barrel now; b) like, er, presenting US winning the Third Tier next season (having got us there) as a success - which if it happens, I'm sure the fan bois, especially the Board will attempt to do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

To present  Wigan winning the Third Tier (having got them there) as a 'success' is : a) the fan bois really scraping the barrel now; b) like, er, presenting US winning the Third Tier next season (having got us there) as a success - which if it happens, I'm sure the fan bois, especially the Board will attempt to do.

If we are not relegated some on here and the board will probably say he saved us from relegation. I really do not think he is a good manager at the level we want to be at. But if he is still our manager next season,as I expect him to be no matter what league we are in, I hope he proves me wrong.

• Like 1

If we win on Saturday, and finish the league in say 6th place, having taken us on in 8th place and on a three game losing run,  having taken 14 points from our last seven games, having recovered from what seemed like an impossible situation at new year, having had a decent cup run, having improved the squad in his only transfer window, having a contract, etc etc...

You can dislike him as much as you want, there is no credible justification for sacking him.

If we go down then it's a very different matter. It's small margins but there's no point in new judgements being made every week, and not this week in particular.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, allyo said:

If we win on Saturday, and finish the league in say 6th place, having taken us on in 8th place and on a three game losing run,  having taken 14 points from our last seven games, having recovered from what seemed like an impossible situation at new year, having had a decent cup run, having improved the squad in his only transfer window, having a contract, etc etc...

You can dislike him as much as you want, there is no credible justification for sacking him.

If we go down then it's a very different matter. It's small margins but there's no point in new judgements being made every week, and not this week in particular.

Cant disagree with a lot of what you say. But lets not forget we were in a near impossible situation because he only managed 5 points in his first 10 games. I will say it again, will be delighted if he proves me wrong. We stay up this season and we are challenging next season.

We're getting to the point where its judgement time for Caldwell. I don't think whatever next weeks result and performance at QOS will really  change the key points.

The case for keeping Caldwell is that his recruitment in January was good. The case against is he picks the wrong formation, wrong team , wrong tactics and says daft things more often than not.

His signings in January seemed positive but of Cardle, Harkins, Anderson, McDonald, Hazard, Mansell, Roy, Saunders and McMillan how many would we now want to keep for next year and how many have gone downhill under his management?

In my opinion McDonald is the only definite keep. A few weeks ago that would have probably included Anderson, Cardle, Saunders and McMillan but all of them seem to have either got worse under his management or not been selected or fit enough to play a major part.

The only players that I think have shown any improvement under Caldwell are Elliot and McGinty.

I don't think there has been significant improvments in his selections, formations, tactics and his ability to put his foot in his mouth.

In terms of league position we are 7th but could finish anywhere between 9th and 5th and maximum 5 points from the relegation playoff place. When Caldwell took over we were 8th and 5 points from a relegation play off place. So  no real significant improvment in league position.

I'm not seeing much to suggest he deserves another season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Cant disagree with a lot of what you say. But lets not forget we were in a near impossible situation because he only managed 5 points in his first 10 games. I will say it again, will be delighted if he proves me wrong. We stay up this season and we are challenging next season.

But if you're going to sack a manager for his record in his first ten games then the time to do that is after ten games. I'd have sacked him after ten games. But the club didn't.

6 minutes ago, allyo said:

But if you're going to sack a manager for his record in his first ten games then the time to do that is after ten games. I'd have sacked him after ten games. But the club didn't.

Agree. I will also say again. I think he will be our manager next season, no matter what.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

Obviously we all have different thresholds but I kinda go along with above. I wouldn't have been sad to see him leave after the first game up in Dingwall always provided we had a credible contingency plan and/or Gerry Britton was in the loop re January signing targets. That's two very big "ifs" of course. I think once we crossed into the transfer window period we were best to keep him till the end of the season. 

I doubt there's any result this Saturday that will make those who don't rate Caldwell warm to him in any way. Even if we stay in the division, season tickets sales (never an easy sell any year) are imo likely to be even more problematic come early summer. Anyway getting ahead of myself as it's hard to look past whatever outcome there is this weekend.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

We're getting to the point where its judgement time for Caldwell. I don't think whatever next weeks result and performance at QOS will really  change the key points.

The case for keeping Caldwell is that his recruitment in January was good. The case against is he picks the wrong formation, wrong team , wrong tactics and says daft things more often than not.

His signings in January seemed positive but of Cardle, Harkins, Anderson, McDonald, Hazard, Mansell, Roy, Saunders and McMillan how many would we now want to keep for next year and how many have gone downhill under his management?

In my opinion McDonald is the only definite keep. A few weeks ago that would have probably included Anderson, Cardle, Saunders and McMillan but all of them seem to have either got worse under his management or not been selected or fit enough to play a major part.

The only players that I think have shown any improvement under Caldwell are Elliot and McGinty.

I don't think there has been significant improvments in his selections, formations, tactics and his ability to put his foot in his mouth.

In terms of league position we are 7th but could finish anywhere between 9th and 5th and maximum 5 points from the relegation playoff place. When Caldwell took over we were 8th and 5 points from a relegation play off place. So  no real significant improvment in league position.

I'm not seeing much to suggest he deserves another season.

Had we won on Saturday I would have said keep him as winning 3 in a row I would be feeling quite positive about next season. However, having lost the way we did and having a real nail biter this week, I am more inclined to let him go irrespective of the result. 

52 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Obviously we all have different thresholds but I kinda go along with above. I wouldn't have been sad to see him leave after the first game up in Dingwall always provided we had a credible contingency plan and/or Gerry Britton was in the loop re January signing targets. That's two very big "ifs" of course. I think once we crossed into the transfer window period we were best to keep him till the end of the season. 

I doubt there's any result this Saturday that will make those who don't rate Caldwell warm to him in any way. Even if we stay in the division, season tickets sales (never an easy sell any year) are imo likely to be even more problematic come early summer. Anyway getting ahead of myself as it's hard to look past whatever outcome there is this weekend.

No matter who the manager is, what league we are in, I will still renew my season ticket as I have done for many years. But I fear not everybody will be the same.

20 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

No matter who the manager is, what league we are in, I will still renew my season ticket as I have done for many years. But I fear not everybody will be the same.

Being a Pensioner the Season Ticket money is a big outlay,as is 50/50 tickets and programme money,i suspect that I will be cutting back on my expenses and hopefully I will manage to afford the Season Ticket if not all.Last couple of Seasons have seen an increasing amount of Spin coming from The Board re Targets for the Season,etc,interesting to see what nonsense they come up with this time round.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:15 AM, javeajag said:

It’s clear that we will need to be really really up for the game next week.....queens are at home and have lots to play for .....play like yesterday and we are in trouble 

We should have been ‘up’ for Ayr on Saturday; that could have secured our survival with a meaningless last game.

Why couldn’t Caldwell motivate them and get his tactics/subs right?

2 hours ago, allyo said:

He failed in his stated objective to have us challenging for promotion. He doesn’t deserve another chance; the excuses have run out.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, falklandal1 said:

Being a Pensioner the Season Ticket money is a big outlay,as is 50/50 tickets and programme money,i suspect that I will be cutting back on my expenses and hopefully I will manage to afford the Season Ticket if not all.Last couple of Seasons have seen an increasing amount of Spin coming from The Board re Targets for the Season,etc,interesting to see what nonsense they come up with this time round.

Totally understandable. We have all made sacrifices both time wise and money spent over the years. Which makes the claim by some on this forum that some fans would like to see us relegated so we could sack Caldwell, laughable. Why after spending so much time and money over the years would you want your team relegated, that would do nothing but harm to the club. Just to get rid of the manager. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sandy said:

We should have been ‘up’ for Ayr on Saturday; that could have secured our survival with a meaningless last game.

Why couldn’t Caldwell motivate them and get his tactics/subs right?

No idea .... why couldn’t Archie all last season ?

21 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree in a way regarding loan players. But also I hope even though they are loan players they wouldn't want a relegation from the Championship on their cv. Also according to the official site Keown's contract expires end of May this year.

Really really hope so. 

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Had we won on Saturday I would have said keep him as winning 3 in a row I would be feeling quite positive about next season. However, having lost the way we did and having a real nail biter this week, I am more inclined to let him go irrespective of the result. 

Fine margins indeed.

Was wondering if we did sack Caldwell who we would appoint, the usual suspects ( John Hughes) will always get mentioned, but the only ones off the top of my head I would want are Mcall ( unlikely ) Goodwin ( dose he not have a good job outside football? ) and Hopkin ( who I think would take the job ). 

• admin locked this topic