Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

14 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

A Doctor writes:

The above post is an interesting example of the psychological condition known as the ‘paranoid self-righteousness of the Über-fan’.

This is a delusional condition and very difficult to understand, even for those experienced in psychology of paranoia, although its symptoms are often widespread and easily recognisable in football fans.  Some fans develop personality traits which lead them to view their fellow supporters in terms of an apartheid system of fan classification: ‘Über-fans’ and ‘Ünter-fans’. Most sufferers score highly on Adorno’s F-scale, and exhibit, along with an irrational obeisance to authority, a form of Emotional Attachment Syndrome (EAS) which attaches itself to an object of veneration, for example a particular manager or Board of Directors (‘fan-bois’ in the vernacular.

One of the symptoms of Über-fannery, as we shall call it, is that after the incubation period, they begin to view themselves as a kind of ‘Illuminati’, along with similarly enlightened and elect Fan-führers. Über-fans, for example, see themselves as having the right to express any opinion at any time, providing it is loyal to the club and contains not even the smallest whiff of criticism of the existing board or manager; conversely they cannot tolerate any criticism and view Ünter-fans as a lesser breed, who should not be allowed to express any opinion on the forum until after 2200 on a Saturday night once the debate is largely over. Über-fans, for example, will not tolerate any uttered or written reference to football as ‘an entertainment industry’. Occasionally they develop a vicious corrosive monomania that any fan who so much as implies any criticism of the  manager (and accordingly their own point of view) is ‘not a real fan’ at all, whether they have or have not attended Firhill  for half a century, and take afternoons off work to go and see the reserves. They develop a sufferer’s argot which they frequently verbalise as follows: ‘Were you at the game?’ ‘Do you hold a season ticket?’ ‘Were you on holiday at the time?’

Perhaps the most marked and dangerous symptom (which is evidently ineradicable) is the delusional, indeed schizoid, condition of frequently accusing Ünter-fans (some who have watched the team for over half a century, and attend reserve matches) of wanting the team to lose. Unfortunately, this particular condition (‘Illuminati Syndrome’) is incurable, however it should be addressed by publicly and repeatedly slapping the sufferers of Über-fannery with a large wet fish, preferably a stinking haddock, about the head and face until symptoms abate.

Spot on.

• Like 1

Evening Times Gary Caldwell interview

“It was absolutely ridiculous how it came out,” 

“It is a critical game for the club,” he said. “It is all about getting a positive result on the day that will then allow the club to go on and flourish."

“I don’t spend much time thinking about hypotheticals or whether we would have taken this situation when we were done at the bottom of the league. To be brutally honest, I would like us to be 10 or 15 points better off, but we are where we are.

“The positive is that we have our own destiny in our own hands. If we win the game we are safe, so that is where the full focus lies.”

The Scottish Sun Gary Caldwell interview

“Since I became manager back in October we’ve always been around the bottom three places in the league.

“For me, we’ve done well to put ourselves in the position we’re in where we have one game left to finish the campaign on a positive note.

“We understand this is a big game but we also want to remain optimistic and look towards what three points could do in terms of the league position."

30 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Agree agree agree. The team needs our support.

Just one thing that is confusing about the thrust of your posting on this. Do you really think that those on here who are critical of Caldwell, the board and performance don't go to games ro support Thistle. And just so all are clear if anyone bar you and me are boring enough to read our interaction, I think Caldwell is a dud, I got to most games and I do support the team, I don't sit/stand shouting abuse at anyone until after the play stops.

Lastly I don't think anyone on here has anything to reproach themselves for and should have zero concerns if anyone from outside the support of our club chose to come on here and read it . Have you ever dipped into any of the ugly sisters forums? That's a series of car crashes

Not too sure myself some of the things I rant on about, but, if you look back at my posts (not too many to check) you'll see I was never a fan of Caldwell. Think I prefered Goodwin. And I cannot match folk on here for their knowledge of and commitment to the Jags. I try not to look at anything to do with the sisters but I imagine it will be murder on there. I feel that with a MASSIVE game in front of us we should concentrate on that and sort out the rest after 5pm. If things go tits up, I'll probably be shouting for someones head too, but not yet. Off to get ready.

Mon the Jags

11 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Ok. I said similer as have quite a few on this thread and the match thread.

I would just like to point out that everyone on here, as far as I can tell, is a jags fan. No more and no less than you.

Everyone on here, again, as far as I can tell wants Thistle to win, just like you.

Just my opinion, but it's a little harsh to say what is on this forum is poison and a bitchfest. Yes, a few members have over the past few horrendously stressful weeks fallen out and exchanged unpleasantness but that's what happens in families. We can't all always agree.

If you are a regular reader you will see that most, if not all, posters want/wanted Caldwell to be successful. Successful Caldwell = successful thistle.

Poison and bitchfest? Not for me, but if that's what you believe I'll not force my opinion, just saying was are all jaggies who want the best for our club. Some of us believe Caldwell isn't the manager to provide that and some of us do.

For clarity I believe, firmly, he is a dud and should be shown the door, but I and others who agree with me will be at the game tomorrow supporting the team. Mon jags

Out of likes mate 

1 hour ago, Sinistar said:

“Since I became manager back in October we’ve always been around the bottom three places in the league.

“For me, we’ve done well to put ourselves in the position we’re in where we have one game left to finish the campaign on a positive note.

“We understand this is a big game but we also want to remain optimistic and look towards what three points could do in terms of the league position."

Doubt he said that at his interview.

Had the team managed not to capitulate against Ross County, beaten that abysmal Dunfermline team, and managed a draw against Ayr last weekend, I think GC would be looked upon as a reasonable manger with poor communication skills. It shows that in this league just a few errors of judgement can really harm you.

Fingers crossed we start well, have a good middle and finish strongly!!

1 hour ago, muirparkman said:

Not too sure myself some of the things I rant on about, but, if you look back at my posts (not too many to check) you'll see I was never a fan of Caldwell. Think I prefered Goodwin. And I cannot match folk on here for their knowledge of and commitment to the Jags. I try not to look at anything to do with the sisters but I imagine it will be murder on there. I feel that with a MASSIVE game in front of us we should concentrate on that and sort out the rest after 5pm. If things go tits up, I'll probably be shouting for someones head too, but not yet. Off to get ready.

Mon the Jags

Have a great day muirparkman. Roads are ok so far if you're going by road. As you say, mon the jags

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Sinistar said:

Proof that Gary, just like most if not all, of us, is a complete hypocrite. Selective amnesia. He's completely airbrushed out the I'll get promotion statements when he was appointed. I'd have far sympathy/respect if he were honest, say something like, I know I stated we'd get promoted with the existing squad but it became apparent we were deficient in key areas and we are all working our socks off to make the glaringly obvious faults disappear. It's a shame we are still fighting relegation it's not what any of us wanted and we'll all do our level best to improve. We need the support of our fans and are desperate to do well for them and for us.

But no, denial subterfudging and accept no blame. Ego intact, job done, I am great.

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Proof that Gary, just like most if not all, of us, is a complete hypocrite. Selective amnesia. He's completely airbrushed out the I'll get promotion statements when he was appointed. I'd have far sympathy/respect if he were honest, say something like, I know I stated we'd get promoted with the existing squad but it became apparent we were deficient in key areas and we are all working our socks off to make the glaringly obvious faults disappear. It's a shame we are still fighting relegation it's not what any of us wanted and we'll all do our level best to improve. We need the support of our fans and are desperate to do well for them and for us.

But no, denial subterfudging and accept no blame. Ego intact, job done, I am great.

Spot on.

14 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

I feel sorry for you Semi nurainen you seem to be unable to  debate with anyone without trying to ridicule them. I showed your posts to a doctor friend of mine, and he told me to tell you that you suffer  from a very low esteem, and you should see a doctor as soon as possible, to get a tablet to relieve your problem. I advocate an Apple one. To be taken sideways

Fan bois are doing a bit of squealing  today, no wonder. 90 minutes from the relegation play-offs for a manager who promised to challenge for promotion. 

League One or Championship next season - not sure the Club can afford the stationery bill. I mean two squads of 20, say forty games each per season, that's over 3000 envelopes!

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I agree with what you say, but again this to me is more of the 'emphasise the positives' language. His team [since the signings deadline] has performed well, that I think is what he is saying.

Unfortunately he is not the sort of person to do the hands-up, I fecked up admission. I also agree he does not come across as being the most open, honest and full of integrity type of person.

In 3 hours from now we will see if GC's team selection and tactics leading up to this game have worked.

Wouldn't it be nice to put 3 past this lot?

2 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I agree with what you say, but again this to me is more of the 'emphasise the positives' language. His team [since the signings deadline] has performed well, that I think is what he is saying.

Unfortunately he is not the sort of person to do the hands-up, I fecked up admission. I also agree he does not come across as being the most open, honest and full of integrity type of person.

In 3 hours from now we will see if GC's team selection and tactics leading up to this game have worked.

Wouldn't it be nice to put 3 past this lot?

Yes. And , by f--k we did!

4 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Unless for misconduct that’s what resigning from a job normally entails. Being paid for the relevant notice period unless an additional arrangement is othereise reached.

Resigning means you walk away, not asking to be paid out the next year

So the season is over. I’ve tended to avoid the Caldwell debate, largely because I’m not sure what to think. This remains the case. 

Back at around Christmas, I posted that Caldwell should be punted forthwith. I also said, assuming this won’t happen, he should only be given another season if his team shows sustained promotion challenging form; simply staying up by the skin of our teeth on the final day is not enough,

So where are we now? We’ve gone into the final day in danger of relegation. On the face of it, that’s not good enough. However we’ve also shown sustained promotion challenging form. A form table of the past 15 games- close to half a season- shows us third, two points off United in second. 

Based on this, along with our survival and 6th place finish, I think he has, objectively feeling, done enough, to be fair.

I somehow can’t warm to him, however. If he wins promotion next season though...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

So the season is over. I’ve tended to avoid the Caldwell debate, largely because I’m not sure what to think. This remains the case. 

Back at around Christmas, I posted that Caldwell should be punted forthwith. I also said, assuming this won’t happen, he should only be given another season if his team shows sustained promotion challenging form; simply staying up by the skin of our teeth on the final day is not enough,

So where are we now? We’ve gone into the final day in danger of relegation. On the face of it, that’s not good enough. However we’ve also shown sustained promotion challenging form. A form table of the past 15 games- close to half a season- shows us third, two points off United in second. 

Based on this, along with our survival and 6th place finish, I think he has, objectively feeling, done enough, to be fair.

I somehow can’t warm to him, however. If he wins promotion next season though...

My view entirely. Been an arduous season but it's self evident we have shown signs of being a decent team. That is worth a bit of a celebration for all jags fans tonight. Cheers!

• admin locked this topic