Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

3 hours ago, sandy said:

Er, think yer grammar went a tad astray towards the end. Caldwell was lucky to get us off the bottom.

His PR bungles, flawed formations, slowness to change things do not fill me with confidence that he is the manager to achieve promotion.

How was he lucky? Please explain. Next you'll be telling me we were lucky to beat QOTS yesterday. Have you actually read the posts about our results since January, the form guide over our last 10 games. Over the last 6 high pressure games. What luck? 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

How did u know ! 

The eh..... thing.........the eh, down below......you know, the appointment and treatment for the......problem!!!! You cured me doctor

Congratulations to Caldwell for deservedly keeping us up. What a great atmosphere on Saturday and what a fine performance.

I was calling for his head at Christmas but he changed it just in time by bringing in far better players and improving several others. The celebrations after the penalty showed how much they care, which was certainly not evident under Archie(laterally).

The McDonald signing was of course paramount but he did NOT do this single handedly.

We can look forward to next season with more hope than 12 months ago.

Disagree slightly with above in so much that over the closed season last year I was fairly confident we'd finish in the top four. This past season has been such a shocker that I see a top four finish next one coming in a new light. Of course last year I was encouraged by the signing of Bell and really thought the likes of Storey & Keown would be more than decent dropping down a division.:)

As Weebaw1 says the signing of McDonald was paramount. I really believe we'll need an equally inspired signing if we're to challenge next term. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sandy said:

Oh you are better than that son. Quit while you are behind. Let’s focus on the summer signings 

Focus is one thing, slaughtering them because of who signed them is quite another. Hopefully you are willing to give them more of a chance than you did mansell 

Edited by Third Lanark

18 hours ago, jaggot said:

even at this time of celebration (and all thanks to GC)

the unhappy moan and jibe

so glad they called it wrong

default_thumbsup.gif

Not sure you are right here jaggot. I'd submit they did get it right as their assertion is based on many months evidence. To suggest that this manager and team are great/the real deal/world beaters etc is based solely on one victory in the last game of the season.

Granted within the months of January, February, March, April and may there were some notable victories and performances but also at least an equal number of savagely dire team selections, formations, tactics and substitutions.

All I'm saying is that one result and a quite magnificent performance does not a team or manager make. Jury is still out, but like many detractors on here I'm certainly moved to make a fresh start next season and will be supportive of the manager until/if he turns me otherwise.

And as for mansell, excellent performance and goal in one game does not make the critics wrong. He needs to do that over a period of games, a season even. So to sum up my ramblings, you're wrong, imho.

19 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

And as for mansell, excellent performance and goal in one game does not make the critics wrong. He needs to do that over a period of games, a season even. So to sum up my ramblings, you're wrong, imho.

You, like others, seem to be blind to the contribution he's made to the team. He'd set up three crucial goals prior to Saturday and only the width of the post denied him an equaliser against Ayr.

That doesn't mean I think he's great/the real deal/a world beater, but he has made some important interventions that appear to have been ignored in some quarters.

Think a feature of this season is so many players have divided opinions more than in any other recent season. Mansell is late to the game but can now be included as a member of the divisive group. Having seen both Roy & Mansell play for the reserves I doubt there would be anybody favouring the latter. I think Caldwell really rates Mansell and I was thinking he was pigheadedly picking him ahead of a player that does more running and links up better.  That and/or he felt obliged to play the loan player.

I'm now readily willing to concede that Mansell has indeed contributed. Maybe it's down to reacting better with first team players, I really don't know. Ally Roy has presumably shot himself in the foot in any case but after Saturday's performance I believe Mansell, if available, would be a decent enough inclusion in next season's squad. Always risky playing loan players in late season crunch games but the lad got stuck in, which is of credit. 

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

You, like others, seem to be blind to the contribution he's made to the team. He'd set up three crucial goals prior to Saturday and only the width of the post denied him an equaliser against Ayr.

That doesn't mean I think he's great/the real deal/a world beater, but he has made some important interventions that appear to have been ignored in some quarters.

I'm not ignoring the contribution of mansell at all.

You're as usual missing the point. Shirt bursts of form during a game do not mean he's somehow become a great player. I acknowledge his contribution but he needs to show that far often to be considered a successful player. You've clearly got up wrong side of the bed again DP, none so blind as those who will not see. You been to many games of football caller?

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think a feature of this season is so many players have divided opinions more than in any other recent season. Mansell is late to the game but can now be included as a member of the divisive group. Having seen both Roy & Mansell play for the reserves I doubt there would be anybody favouring the latter. I think Caldwell really rates Mansell and I was thinking he was pigheadedly picking him ahead of a player that does more running and links up better.  That and/or he felt obliged to play the loan player.

I'm now readily willing to concede that Mansell has indeed contributed. Maybe it's down to reacting better with first team players, I really don't know. Ally Roy has presumably shot himself in the foot in any case but after Saturday's performance I believe Mansell, if available, would be a decent enough inclusion in next season's squad. Always risky playing loan players in late season crunch games but the lad got stuck in, which is of credit. 

Clearly you've played at a decent level with that assessment. My point above to DP is that a good performance v hearts and v ayr and last Saturday doesn't make him a great player but also doesn't mean that I'm blind to his contribution. All of the players have contributed, obviously some more than others. I'll say it again, l don't believe any player goes out to have a bad game.

Mansell is a very untypical Jags striker. I can’t remember last time a target man won so many high balls. With Anderson and McGinty as CB’s its great to have an escape route. 

I’d be happy if we can re-sign him but he needs to be taught how to hold the ball up without falling over and I suspect he needs a bit more composure in front of goal.

With his aerial ability and size he should be able to terrorise opposing donkeys in our division.

• admin locked this topic