Friday night v ICT

Paulo

Absolute shambles. 1st half especially.

If there was a tactic and game plan being implemented, I'm clueless as to what it was. 

Maybe it was to look lost, disjointed, uncomfortable in possession, uncomfortable without possession, aimless and passive just to confuse ICT and lull them in to a false sense of security.

The starting line up was bizarre at best. 

We're ****** unless luck goes our way.

The ever diminishing amount of light emitting from the floodlights reflects the club in general. Bring your torches to the next Friday night horror show. (that's if you're brave enough to want to watch it)

9 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

I've seen Thistle lose games plenty of times and struggle with relegation on far too many occasions, but I left Firhill last night more angry and frustrated than I've ever felt after a defeat. I've tried to work out why last night's game infuriated me so much: it was similar in many ways to the Dundee United game, with the opposition dominating a lot of the play and Thistle showing flashes of creativity, only, of course, the winning goal going to the wrong team. I think it was because the penny finally dropped for me last night - this team can only win if every Thistle player who contributes plays at the top of their game. If one player plays badly, or a couple of them have an off day, that's it, we're stuffed. Other teams can compete even if they're not playing at their best. We can't. There's no resilience in this team. They look like a beaten side trying to hold on for the final whistle - from the moment things don't go their way! It doesn't even have to come from conceeding a goal, just the opposition refusing to play to the plan. Caldwell, obviously, is not a good manager. He should be removed at the first opportunity. But we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon. Hard to feel anything other than despair this morning.

This is absolutely bang on. We are so weak and soft it’s unreal. That stems from the manager, yet we are now at the point where he can’t or won’t be removed from his post despite all evidence suggesting that’s exactly what needs to happen.

Don’t know if anyone else noticed but I saw both Harkins and Storey talk back / mouth off to Caldwell last night. It screams of problems within the dressing room and of the players not responding well to Caldwell’s arrogant ways. 

A year ago i would have run through walls to attend a game at Firhill and often doctored my work travel plans to ensure I’d be working in Glasgow in conjunction with a home fixture, same with family visits. I ensured my Saturday afternoons were free in Norway to watch or listen on Jagszone when I wasn’t in Glasgow.

Fast forward to last night I was back in Glasgow due to a family function being arranged in Maryhill at 8pm on Friday night, last year I would have turned up late for the event after the game finished, this year I couldn’t be bothered going, or didn’t want to go.

From top to bottom the clubs a mess, the football is crap, the results poor, the league position a disgrace.

Archie had to go as he’d taken us as far as he could, but he also had a connection with the club as did Erskine and Doolan.

Instead of getting someone who either knew the club or the league we went for a washed up failed ex OF player, that has never inspired the fanbase as a choice. I’ll leave his current record out of it.

We honoured John Lambie too late, this should have been done when he was alive.

We honoured Dave Macparland too late, again we shouldn’t have waited till he was on his deathbed, and now we look like we’ve made a mess of that.

2 club legends have been frozen out, 1 relegated to the bench and 1 sold to a club 15 places above us.

The interaction with fans is a joke, statements and updates from club are non existent and when stuff comes out it’s behind a paywall on possibly the worst club site in top 2 leagues.

I don’t feel part of this club anymore, and that’s nothing to do with Caldwell or Archie, it’s to do with the folk in charge, those wielding the power whilst owning nothing of this club, our club.

Relegation will destroy us, the plan seems to be to just ask Colin Weir for more money, no business model, no sustainable model, no growth, the day will come when he says no, or is no longer around or involved and what happens then?  The board will disappear back to their other jobs and we the fans will scrimp and save to try and get this club to survive.

We are in a worse place now (in my opinion) than the Save The Jags days

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

The Caldwell Effect had drained my enthusiasm to the extent that I had missed the last 5 home games...after 20 minutes tonight I was bored and wishing I had not made the effort. It was a truly dreadful display...I would have to think very hard to remember such a disheartening performance at Firhill. Inverness were the better side and deserved to win but the team formation with aimless hoofball the only option made it easy for them.

Sneddon made some decent saves, Spittal added much needed energy and drive and Banzo scored a lovely goal but otherwise didn't look like he was enjoying his football - that was about all the positives. I had been unconvinced by the reports of supposed improvement but I was genuinely shocked at how poor the team was and how inept the new signings were.  McMillan, Saunders and Mansell were pretty hopeless plodders and Harkins is washed up...but the worst of the lot was Anderson who was laughably bad...he looked and played like a man in his 50's. 

Archie won his first three home League games but was rightly sacked when he then lost at home to Ross County...I think we were 2 points off the play-off place and it wasn't good enough. We have only won three home games since and on tonight's display we look like a side which will be relegated. I have posted before that it was clear to me by the end of November that Caldwell was a failure...now like Derek Johnstone, Gerry Collins and Dick Campbell before him, Caldwell is Dead Manager Walking...I don't want him to be manager of my team and I don't expect any improvement until he leaves.

In less than 2 years, the Club has squandered a wonderful opportunity and looks to be heading for another long spell in the wilderness.

Great post.

We need to, not matter the cost, get ride of Caldwell if we are to have ANY chance of survival. If we stick, we do down, simple as that.

I've kept going to home matches winter, and that is the worst 90 minutes performance by far. I don't know if you stayed until the end, did you notice Caldwells body language for the last 10 minutes, he looked like a broken man. I think he sees what's coming and probably wants out. I even had three people around me in JHS, none sitting beside each other, shouting for archie back. They were not trying to be funny, one was challenged (nicely btw) and he provided the rational to his shout exactly the same point as you have made in this post. So unless I was sitting near to you, you are not alone.

Personally, I feel desperate. Desperate times = desperate measures. I'd take Archibald back until the end of the season. At least he understands the fans and the club. I'm not suggesting it'd be a long term solution but would have a better chance of us staying up.

Best chance of usbstaying up is for one of us winning the lottery tonight, buying the club, and sacking Caldwell and jlow.

31 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

A year ago i would have run through walls to attend a game at Firhill and often doctored my work travel plans to ensure I’d be working in Glasgow in conjunction with a home fixture, same with family visits. I ensured my Saturday afternoons were free in Norway to watch or listen on Jagszone when I wasn’t in Glasgow.

Fast forward to last night I was back in Glasgow due to a family function being arranged in Maryhill at 8pm on Friday night, last year I would have turned up late for the event after the game finished, this year I couldn’t be bothered going, or didn’t want to go.

From top to bottom the clubs a mess, the football is crap, the results poor, the league position a disgrace.

Archie had to go as he’d taken us as far as he could, but he also had a connection with the club as did Erskine and Doolan.

Instead of getting someone who either knew the club or the league we went for a washed up failed ex OF player, that has never inspired the fanbase as a choice. I’ll leave his current record out of it.

We honoured Dave Macparland too late, again we shouldn’t have waited till he was on his deathbed, and now we look like we’ve made a mess of that.

2 club legends have been frozen out, 1 relegated to the bench and 1 sold to a club 15 places above us.

The interaction with fans is a joke, statements and updates from club are non existent and when stuff comes out it’s behind a paywall on possibly the worst club site in top 2 leagues.

I don’t feel part of this club anymore, and that’s nothing to do with Caldwell or Archie, it’s to do with the folk in charge, those wielding the power whilst owning nothing of this club, our club.

Relegation will destroy us, the plan seems to be to just ask Colin Weir for more money, no business model, no sustainable model, no growth, the day will come when he says no, or is no longer around or involved and what happens then?  The board will disappear back to their other jobs and we the fans will scrimp and save to try and get this club to survive.

Excellent post and totally agree. Last night was dire, apart from Banzo's goal. IMO Scott McDonald is a football player, Gary Harkins has shown little to warrant an 18 month contract. Why Storey gets a game,  as aside from his pace, he has no final ball or finesse. The defence has been culpable for soft goals, ( comments around us last night, like a knife through butter).  So sad to see where we were to where we are now in such a short time, and unless we perform the great escape where we might end up come the end of the season.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Your post is spot on , financially we’ll be ok for another year as we’ve still got 1 more parachute payment from the SPFL to get , so not quite as bad as the Save the Jags when there was no money at all . Problems are going to arise within the next couple of years when the money runs out.

Even if we do stay up , Caldwell has to go , we’ve now got a falling fanbase , not sure how you sell season tickets on the back of this season?

Need to get a manager who the fans can connect with , whether that’s a McCall, Danny Lennon or even Stephen Craigan who’s track record at Motherwell at developing players and getting players to the first team is there for all to see and in my opinion is the way forward for a club at our level .

Our decline over the last 2 years has been nothing short of astounding. 

It’s again getting to the point when watching to the point where watching Thistle is like visiting someone in a care home you do it out of love and duty, but you don’t look forward to it and feel like a skinful afterwards.

Why oh why were Spittall et al playing from the start? In comparison even to Inverness we had a host of attacking options warming the bench. Obviously, the manager, uniquely was unaware that we actually had to win the game?

Frankly, at best I think we’ll do well to get a play-off place and I wouldn’t be putting any money on us winning that either. The last 24 months would break your heart if you’re a Thistle fan and the blame for that lies with everyone connected with Thistle: apart of course from the supporter.

One other thing really struck me last night - how unbalanced our squad is

We had I think 2/3 left footed players on the pitch last night (penrice and bannigan ) to my mind Saunders being right footed contributed to the first goal as he wanted to clear what he could see on his right side rather than focus on the runner on his left side.

We have so many forwards that I think the manager has no idea which 2 or 3 he should do with any given week and is playing some to keep them happy and possibly some as he's promised them game time.

In midfield we have 3 very similar players in Spittal, Bannigan and Slater still no defensive midfielder and no real number 10 unless coulibally is going to get a game. Best team I think we have at the moment is possibly

Hazard (Sneddon did ok but I think his inexperience contributed to last nights goal as he should have telling Anderson and Saunders where the danger was)

McMillan-Anderson-Saunders- Penrice

Fitzpatrick-Slater-Gordon (if fit, if not Harkins or Elliot )-Bannigan-Cardle

McDonald

Away from home it might be benficial to replace Fitzpatrick with Elliot and Cardle with Spittal to make us harder to beat

Unfortunately if  we stay up a lot of the problems will still be there next year. For example we have 3 centre halfs contracted for next year (Saunders, O'Ware and McGinty) the best 2 of those 3 are right footed so either one misses out or we go with an unbalanced defence.Its going to require a major play overhaul in the summer again, do we trust Caldwell with that?

14 minutes ago, laukat said:

We had I think 2/3 left footed players on the pitch last night (penrice and bannigan ) to my mind Saunders being right footed contributed to the first goal as he wanted to clear what he could see on his right side rather than focus on the runner on his left side.

We have so many forwards that I think the manager has no idea which 2 or 3 he should do with any given week and is playing some to keep them happy and possibly some as he's promised them game time.

In midfield we have 3 very similar players in Spittal, Bannigan and Slater still no defensive midfielder and no real number 10 unless coulibally is going to get a game. Best team I think we have at the moment is possibly

Hazard (Sneddon did ok but I think his inexperience contributed to last nights goal as he should have telling Anderson and Saunders where the danger was)

McDonald

Away from home it might be benficial to replace Fitzpatrick with Elliot and Cardle with Spittal to make us harder to beat

Unfortunately if  we stay up a lot of the problems will still be there next year. For example we have 3 centre halfs contracted for next year (Saunders, O'Ware and McGinty) the best 2 of those 3 are right footed so either one misses out or we go with an unbalanced defence.Its going to require a major play overhaul in the summer again, do we trust Caldwell with that?

Definitely  don't trust Caldwell with that. I'm looking forward to seeing O'Ware coming back but he must be wondering what he's got himself into.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Nail. On. The. Head. (sadly)

The way GC  has treated true Thistle men is appalling. I just hope Dools & Erskine still have the desire to come back one day and manage us. 

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Measured. Painful.  Correct. 

Good post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laukat said:

McDonald

You might just be over-thinking things a little. 

45 minutes ago, jaf said:

Measured. Painful.  Correct. 

Good post. 

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

It is ridiculous to suggest that we are in a worse place than the Save The Jags days, when the club was literally facing imminent oblivion. However this post otherwise  makes good hard hittting points regarding our present circumstances. Our present  relative financial security,  thanks mainly to the Weir investment, has created an atmosphere of  complacency throughout the club , boardroom downwards. The constant spin we hear is that there is nothing to worry about , all will be well next week ...

Both teams were poor for the 1st 30 mins. ICT upped their game in the last 15 mins of 1st half and Sneddon had to make 2 good saves. 2nd half, we were much better when Spittal came on and ICT scored( as a result of dreadful defending)when we were starting to get on top. Goal chopped off( offside ?), great goal by Bannigan, post hit by Spittal, a couple of really good crosses begging to be scored, then ICT score( as a result of dreadful defending) and we give up with 10 + stoppage time to go. 

Relegation looms

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Aye. I wish it was way off the mark but sadly it is indeed a good post.

Still an intense five day junket training  schedule should see us turn the corner.

And if the good lady agrees, then it is indeed a sign that things are dire. 

2 hours ago, e4b said:

It is ridiculous to suggest that we are in a worse place than the Save The Jags days, when the club was literally facing imminent oblivion. However this post otherwise  makes good hard hittting points regarding our present circumstances. Our present  relative financial security,  thanks mainly to the Weir investment, has created an atmosphere of  complacency throughout the club , boardroom downwards. The constant spin we hear is that there is nothing to worry about , all will be well next week ...

Our fan base was larger, the sympathy levels greater in STJ days. After Sevco situation we will get no favours from other clubs nor the league. The stadium was also fully owned by us so twice as much assets.

We also had several investors including Jim Oliver (Who as Honorary Chairman has not been invited to Firhill in years) who had some reserves of cash to wipe out personal loans, if the plan is to hope Colin Weir steps in every time we need a handout then we are heading to the lowland leagues at best

• Like 1

Last night was as hard a watch as the second half against Ross County, but in the last 10 minutes of the match I actually thought to myself that I simply did not want to be here, at the match, at Firhill. I never had that sort of hopeless, pit of the stomach feeling watching Bertie Auld's teams, John Lambie's teams, Jackie McNamara's teams or Archie's teams.

It's pointless for me to add more to the comments in this blog, the ones I have read here have covered all the points much better than I would have made anyway [particularly the comments by 'norgethistle' and 'winter of '63']. 

I just wonder what happened to that team that gained top 6 status a few years ago … where did that talent / optimism / swagger disappear to?  Last night I saw PTFC resort to 'long ball' moves as a game strategy, is this the way we want our team to play? who's idea is that?

Some very depressing posts on here.

Its mind blowing to think a year ago I was enjoying trips to Edinburgh and Aberdeen and now the most likely scenario is that there will be a further massive turn around of players as we go part time. Juniors and players in the twilight of their careers will be our team.

It can still be avoided of course but last night indicated that the manager and players probably dont have what it takes to get us out of this.

The board get more anonymous by the day. Now might be a good time for one of these motivational interviews we were getting earlier in the season from J-Lo and Gerry or are we seeing the captain and officers rowing away from the sinking ship in their dingy leaving the passengers and crew to go down.

• Like 1