Friday night v ICT

Paulo

We have known for some time and many have clearly seen how poor our team is and how utterly clueless our manager is. You'd think/hope that football people in power can see what we see. Last night was just the latest example of poor team selection, tactics, game mgt and formation and dare I say poor player form.

This is going only 1 way, trips to the sun or not. The biggest problem is our manager and his coaching team

4 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Yep. Perspective is an illusive thing at times.

It is indeed elusive, and in your case extremely illusive - as in being built on illusion.

Still, no cause for alarm, old boy, what eh?

After all, as we know, 'something will turn up'. Always does (turned into Micawber now).

17 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

We are in a worse place now (in my opinion) than the Save The Jags days

A lot of the points you made in your post I agree with, but not (yet) this one. Those were times when it was entirely possible you would wake up in the morning to find that PTFC had gone extinct, gone forever. Sure, we might get relegated again, we might need to downsize, even go part-time, but extinction seems only a very, very remote possibility.

I don't think I can ever remember us winning on a Friday night. Or maybe there was a Morton game years ago, before they were a regular thing.

i know it's a pretty insignificant point in light of everything else, but as far as I'm concerned these games can get to .... I never look forward to Firhill on a Friday night.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I don't think I can ever remember us winning on a Friday night. Or maybe there was a Morton game years ago, before they were a regular thing.

i know it's a pretty insignificant point in light of everything else, but as far as I'm concerned these games can get to .... I never look forward to Firhill on a Friday night.

Couldn't agree more - I loath Friday night games, and the early start of the current crop must make it very difficult for fans with jobs.

The fee to the club is pathetic (£20000 is a huge bargain for filling 90+ minutes of the BBC's lowland equivalent of Alba), and certainly not worth it for the inconvenience.

Football is far too far in the thrall of the TV companies and there is so much live football on telly that I, for one, hardly ever watch nowadays.

I can't bring myself to boycott Firhill, but I'll definitely be giving Friday away games a miss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Couldn't agree more - I loath Friday night games, and the early start of the current crop must make it very difficult for fans with jobs.

The fee to the club is pathetic (£20000 is a huge bargain for filling 90+ minutes of the BBC's lowland equivalent of Alba), and certainly not worth it for the inconvenience.

Football is far too far in the thrall of the TV companies and there is so much live football on telly that I, for one, hardly ever watch nowadays.

I can't bring myself to boycott Firhill, but I'll definitely be giving Friday away games a miss.

Completely agree. The 7.05 KO is a joke. Here's a genuine question-had the game not been on TV and we had maybe another 500 fans there ( given the crowd was just over 2,000), might the noise and support from the home fans have made a difference to the result? Personally, I think we could have had 10,000 at the game and we would still have lost but I wonder whether that £20,000 is worth the lower number of home fans and their impact on the to and fro of the game ( that old 11th man argument)?

Edited by westertonjagfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

Completely agree. The 7.05 KO is a joke. Here's a genuine question-had the game not been on TV and we had maybe another 500 fans there ( given the crowd was just over 2,000), might the noise and support from the home fans have made a difference to the result? Personally, I think we could have had 10,000 at the game and we would still have lost but I wonder whether that £20,000 is worth the lower number of home fans and their impact on the to and fro of the game ( that old 11th man argument)?

Does the 11th man argument mean that the crowd have to make up for a Thistle player being sent off, or can we actually play? Are we all allowed on or do we need to select a representative? 

• Haha 1

Friday night game make sense if we are playing a team local to Glasgow, or within what is an easy commute to and from Firhill. My first Friday night game was against Morton, it was on the 30th of September 2011 the KO time was 7.45 and we won 5-0. Not sure of the crowd that night but I think it was close to 5000. That game suited the Morton fans and the Thistle fans up to a point, I think we both would have preferred a Saturday at 3.00 KO, but it was an experiment that worked.

Asking fans from Inverness to travel down the A9 on a winters evening is another proposition, and even a few Thistle fan would have had second thoughts to get themselves over to Firhill on a night of pretty sh!tty weather. 

• Like 1

Due to personal circumstances I had give up coming to Firhill 3 years ago. Red & Yellow runs through my veins. My grandfather & his 6 brothers were all Jags fans. My dad first brought me to Firhill in 1959. I watched the ICT game on BBC & this is the worst Thistle team I have seen. The blame is with Caldwell as this is a team without a game plan/system. I thought Caldwell was f££&ing useless as a player but he is f£#£ing clueless as a manager. I read in the press he has taken the team to the Canaries as that is what Roberto Martinez did when he was at Wigan. The man is dillusional as he doesn’t have a clue how to man manage or coach. 

3 hours ago, Jago1953 said:

Due to personal circumstances I had give up coming to Firhill 3 years ago. Red & Yellow runs through my veins. My grandfather & his 6 brothers were all Jags fans. My dad first brought me to Firhill in 1959. I watched the ICT game on BBC & this is the worst Thistle team I have seen. The blame is with Caldwell as this is a team without a game plan/system. I thought Caldwell was f££&ing useless as a player but he is f£#£ing clueless as a manager. I read in the press he has taken the team to the Canaries as that is what Roberto Martinez did when he was at Wigan. The man is dillusional as he doesn’t have a clue how to man manage or coach. 

Not a lot to disagree with there! In my case, instead of "grandfather" read "uncle" and the rest is the same (maybe 1963 instead of 1959).

20 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

I have enjoyed Friday night games in the past. They usually bring out more than the usual number of fans and the atmosphere has been pretty good. The 7.05 kick off was difficult to get to and I really wasn’t looking forward to it. However, if we got £20,000, we may well have made money as I reckon the crowd was down about 600 to 800 from a Saturday crowd vs ICT

There are some valid points in this thread. However, I don't agree that things are as bad as the Save the Jags days. 

Doom and gloom merchants have us relegated and virtually liquidated already.

Bring Archibald back? It's his fault we are in this predicament. Ever since we reached the top six (which was a fine achievement) the club has been in a downward spiral. Archie meekly got us relegated and then had a completely wasted pre-season where he signed the biggest bunch of duds and failed to assemble a squad in time. Some games we only had a few subs when we have a bloody youth academy which he failed to use. 

We WILL stay up and that's all we can hope for this season. Then we can build again, whether that is under Caldwell or someone like McCall I don't know. 

9 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

No matter how bad this team is, it's not YET getting hounded four nil at home offa Clyde. Things can always get worse lads

Fixed that for you.

I don't really see the case for optimism here.  We might scrape into and through a playoff, and that's as good a scenario as I can picture at this moment.  That will be down to individual players rather than tactics or coaching.  The evidence on Friday to support that, was a manager setting a team up so narrow that it was counterproductive, when a midfielder gets pulled wide or into a fullback position we end up short in the centre.  Not changing although the error was obvious to all.  The correct decision to bring on Spittal and Storey at last, we started getting on top.  The momentum was with us then.....he changes the shape of the team almost immediately again, taking any momentum we might have had right out of us.  Complete madness.

ICT at home to Alloa tonight and at home to Falkirk on Saturday. Lets hope the 6 points from these 2 games stay in Inverness. We really need to start putting pressure on the teams round about us and a win at Morton would be a good start. We are running out of games.