Stevie Chalmers

CCjag

Sorry to learn of the death of Stevie Chalmers.

Stevie, who I believe also played for another Glasgow team, featured for Thistle towards the end of his career but I seem to recollect (over to you for correction Mr Reid) him scoring a winner for us at Pittodrie.

Condolences to his family, accompanied by an increasing sense of my own mortality!

52 appearances and 6 goals.

Dundee United     11/11/1972 (a)  3-0

Kilmarnock              2/12/1972 (a)   3-2   Stevie scored with a cheeky back-heel.

Morton                       9/12/1972   (h)  1-0  Scored the winner.

Hearts                       31/3/1973  (h)   3-0

Dundee                      21/4/1972  (h)   1-1

Dundee United      24/4/74   (a)    1-1

Thistle never lost a game in which Stevie scored.

2 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Kilmarnock              2/12/1972 (a)   3-2   Stevie scored with a cheeky back-heel.

So my Aberdeen memory must have been a senior moment!

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

I remember a game a Firhill where scored a last minute winner at the North end (I'm sure) was that Morton, or was it an equaliser v Dundee?

a small story about Stevie Chalmers , who's time at Thistle was at the end of his career and he was suffering from knee complaints and wasn't the best time for him .

i  met him  along  with Bobby Lennox , who's Celtic supporting club  in Texas USA  asks Bobby Lennox  and a prominent  Celtic player usually a Lisbon player  to visit on  a  yearly basis to the club in the  early 2000's , This was the only Scottish football viewing  i could get access to , so i was the token Thistle supporter who was subjected to the usual questions  , what team do you really support ? None the less I got invited to the  Christmas dinner dances and the golf tournaments . It's at the golf tournament that Stevie Chalmers showed how good he was as a golfer . The smile when the three men teams were drawn , it left me laughing with me being named   the middle player in the Lisbon lions forward line ,  Lennox, Me , Chalmers . As a golfer his negotiation skill where  very good when it came to his handicap .  To most there it was Stevie Chalmers the Lisbon goal scorer , the Scotland goal scorer against Brasil , very few knew or cared about his time at Thistle , but next to no one knew , maybe Lennox did , that he was a +1 handicap golfer , he was at one point good enough to be professional , basically he was a bandit even with bad knees . bad hips   he was a  still class above . He was a very quiet man with a level  of humility, this is the  profile that comes across in the documentary done by the BBC around his backstory with TB and  is and was the impression he left with me. So I have a golf trophy from a CSC   that the team  reads Lennox , Chalmers and me. i felt then and reflect on now, that he was the quiet  and humble man of that Celtic team  ( which  made every European cup quarter finals except one , 2 finals and 4 semi finals in a 9 year stretch  and we still took 4 off them in a single half at Hampden).

my blareny and trivia  to my Celtic supporting friends is I played in the Lisbon forward line . a Thistle supporter .

Stevie Chalmers left an impression as a true gentlemen  and a quiet but fierce competitor .  

Condolences to his family

• Like 4

3 hours ago, banderas said:

a small story about Stevie Chalmers , who's time at Thistle was at the end of his career and he was suffering from knee complaints and wasn't the best time for him .

i  met him  along  with Bobby Lennox , who's Celtic supporting club  in Texas USA  asks Bobby Lennox  and a prominent  Celtic player usually a Lisbon player  to visit on  a  yearly basis to the club in the  early 2000's , This was the only Scottish football viewing  i could get access to , so i was the token Thistle supporter who was subjected to the usual questions  , what team do you really support ? None the less I got invited to the  Christmas dinner dances and the golf tournaments . It's at the golf tournament that Stevie Chalmers showed how good he was as a golfer . The smile when the three men teams were drawn , it left me laughing with me being named   the middle player in the Lisbon lions forward line ,  Lennox, Me , Chalmers . As a golfer his negotiation skill where  very good when it came to his handicap .  To most there it was Stevie Chalmers the Lisbon goal scorer , the Scotland goal scorer against Brasil , very few knew or cared about his time at Thistle , but next to no one knew , maybe Lennox did , that he was a +1 handicap golfer , he was at one point good enough to be professional , basically he was a bandit even with bad knees . bad hips   he was a  still class above . He was a very quiet man with a level  of humility, this is the  profile that comes across in the documentary done by the BBC around his backstory with TB and  is and was the impression he left with me. So I have a golf trophy from a CSC   that the team  reads Lennox , Chalmers and me. i felt then and reflect on now, that he was the quiet  and humble man of that Celtic team  ( which  made every European cup quarter finals except one , 2 finals and 4 semi finals in a 9 year stretch  and we still took 4 off them in a single half at Hampden).

my blareny and trivia  to my Celtic supporting friends is I played in the Lisbon forward line . a Thistle supporter .

Stevie Chalmers left an impression as a true gentlemen  and a quiet but fierce competitor .  

Condolences to his family

Great story.

Great story indeed.

I used to play golf quite a bit at Cawder as a visitor. Never met the man but I can't recall a time when I didn't see Stevie either out on the course or practising. Not doubting for one moment he was "a very quiet man with a level  of humility" but according to first hand accounts these qualities left him momentarily after the evening he tried to get Frank McGarvey a membership at Cawder. Let's just say he wasn't best pleased (total understatement) with Mr McG's no show at a specially convened meeting.

RIP