Caldwell Like or Loathe

Pinhead

Ok here we go someone has to say it! Like him or Loathe him he has earned a crack at it next season so for those few that want him sacked i think you need to calm down a bit. Archie got time and extra time and then more time than he should have and some rightly or wrongly believe he is beyond any criticism. Since Caldwell signed his own players in Janary the form table speaks for itself. So let;s try forget the last 2 and a bit years of hell and push on next season. Time will tell if Caldwell is the right man but i certainly don't think we can say he is the wrong man just yet!

Capture.PNG.0381215e7bb58c4ba548d4443ed4bcbd.PNG

Edited by Pinhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He wasn’t recruited to start his job in January.

He was given lots of money in January to bring in his own players. How much and is that sustainable? This wasn’t money Archie had in July-August.

I’m happy to write this season off and focus on next, but for the love of God, people need to stop rewriting history. Caldwell marginally improved results with more money and he fell well short of the objective for which he was explicitly recruited.

• Like 3

All hail King Gary. An absolute genius.

The team relegated with us last season win the league, we finish 11 points behind the mighty Ayr Utd who are in the last play off spot, and finish 3 points behind a mediocre Morton team. And avoid the relegation play off spot on the last day.

But carry on celebrating Gary’s mediocrity. And let’s give him an extended contract. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

He was given lots of money in January to bring in his own players. How much and is that sustainable? This wasn’t money Archie had in July-August.

I’m happy to write this season off and focus on next, but for the love of God, people need to stop rewriting history. Caldwell marginally improved results with more money and he fell well short of the objective for which he was explicitly recruited.

How do you know Archie didn’t have money last summer and didn’t just waste it on persuading duds like Brice to relocating him and his family to the UK. Don’t think bell would have been cheap for one.

his budget in January would have been affected by surely by money being paid off to Archie and Paterson 

where he was maybe more successful was in somehow persuading St Johnstone to take a couple of higher earners eg bell and keown which possibly freed up some more wages 

5 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Not rewriting anything at all, due to the junk that had been recruited the previous few seasons no matter who came in would have needed money in January to save us (stevie wonder could see that) and if i recal i am sure Jackie useless Low said he would be given money in January anyway when he came onboard so the money thing is not a good point to make. Anyway it is not about the money it is what you do with it that counts and good managers can make money spent go further. I am in no way saying he is what we need but with his own team he certainly imrpoved things no end. Tme will tell a few months into next season how things will pan out longer term.

I find him a bit bizarre at times, I'm not sure that I've really warmed to him, but you can't argue with results. And going right back to when he was recruited I'd describe his results as...average.

He's done as much as I'd have expected given where we were at the time. Nothing spectacular, but okay. I couldn't care less about "stated objectives". We were sitting on 9 points from nine games, an average which would have had us straight relegated. Yes, he probably spent money, yes his start was horrendous, but while you can't rewrite history by ignoring the results before Christmas, neither can you deny that we have dragged ourselves back from a gaping abyss since them. 

Bottom line for me, am I entirely convinced? No. Do I think he deserves to lose his job based on his record? Absolutely not.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Big Col said:

All hail King Gary. An absolute genius.

The team relegated with us last season win the league, we finish 11 points behind the mighty Ayr Utd who are in the last play off spot, and finish 3 points behind a mediocre Morton team. And avoid the relegation play off spot on the last day.

But carry on celebrating Gary’s mediocrity. And let’s give him an extended contract. 

Bitter much? You would have preferred us to get relegated again no doubt?

Who said give him an extended contract or celebrated any mediocrity, he is 3rd in the league from january with his own team. Archie spunked a fortune on Bell, Ntambe, Storer and more but maybe we should invite him back and crown him in the centre circle?

6 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I’m glad we stayed up , but we finished 28 points behind Ross County, we’ll now see if the Board will trust Caldwell for the rebuilding job , think we’ve only got 4 or 5 signed players ( one being Cammy Bell ) , loan players like Anderson, McMillan, Shea Gordon, Conor Hazard and Lewis Mansell will go back to their parent clubs

Can Gary be trusted for the rebuild job ? ,

5 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Bitter much? You would have preferred us to get relegated again no doubt?

Who said give him an extended contract or celebrated any mediocrity, he is 3rd in the league from january with his own team. Archie spunked a fortune on Bell, Ntambe, Storer and more but maybe we should invite him back and crown him in the centre circle?

Absolutely did not want us to get relegated but I don’t see how avoiding the play off for the drop on the last day is something to celebrate.

He didn’t start the job in January - you can’t airbrush his results from 2018. Totally agree that Archibald wasted a ton of money and if you were a regular contributor in here you’d know that i was of the opinion that he should have been sacked in December 2017.

You asked if GC should be given a chance - I don’t think he should.

A few will never accept him. No great achievement but to those with an actual eye for the game we have improved and team spirit has been restored.

The Championship isn't an unlockable puzzle. With decent recruitment we can be contenders next season, yes, even with Caldwell. I'd rather give him a go than the options trotted out by the old Farts on here, Duffy, McCall or Hughes etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I’m glad we stayed up , but we finished 28 points behind Ross County, we’ll now see if the Board will trust Caldwell for the rebuilding job , think we’ve only got 4 or 5 signed players ( one being Cammy Bell ) , loan players like Anderson, McMillan, Shea Gordon, Conor Hazard and Lewis Mansell will go back to their parent clubs

I can only base his recruitment on the one transfer window and in that he had more success than failure. I thought bannigan would have been off but managed to persuade him to stay. So on recruiting he has been relatively successful 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

A few will never accept him. No great achievement but to those with an actual eye for the game we have improved and team spirit has been restored.

The Championship isn't an unlockable puzzle. With decent recruitment we can be contenders next season, yes, even with Caldwell. I'd rather give him a go than the options trotted out by the old Farts on here, Duffy, McCall or Hughes etc.

Think you’ve got to look at the big picture, not just for next year but for years to come.

The Board need to sit down with a plan for the next 5 years at least , do they want a quick fix with promotion in the next year or so and then relegation a year or 2 later or do we want a sustainable business model focussing on youth development with a pathway for young players to play first team football.

We need a manager who has to be part of that plan to complete the jigsaw if that’s the road they want to go down 

Is Gary Caldwell that man , I’m not so sure 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, allyo said:

I find him a bit bizarre at times, I'm not sure that I've really warmed to him, but you can't argue with results. And going right back to when he was recruited I'd describe his results as...average.

He's done as much as I'd have expected given where we were at the time. Nothing spectacular, but okay. I couldn't care less about "stated objectives". We were sitting on 9 points from nine games, an average which would have had us straight relegated. Yes, he probably spent money, yes his start was horrendous, but while you can't rewrite history by ignoring the results before Christmas, neither can you deny that we have dragged ourselves back from a gaping abyss since them. 

Bottom line for me, am I entirely convinced? No. Do I think he deserves to lose his job based on his record? Absolutely not.

Can't disagree with anything here, He is not a guy you warm to, and I think if he was offered a half decent slot in a English Championship team he would be off in a flash …. but given all of that, you can't disagree the results since Xmas have shown marked improvement.

For the team to finish the season with an excellent away performance and a clean sheet will help with season ticket sales. For the 2018 / 2019 season, that is one to draw a line under and move on to hopefully  better days at Firhill.

Spare a thought for Falkirk, relegated to the seaside league, academy wound up … where do they go from I wonder?  To be honest there were games when I had dark feelings that their fate could have been ours. 

Onwards and upwards!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think you’ve got to look at the big picture, not just for next year but for years to come.

The Board need to sit down with a plan for the next 5 years at least , do they want a quick fix with promotion in the next year or so and then relegation a year or 2 later or do we want a sustainable business model focussing on youth development with a pathway for young players to play first team football.

We need a manager who has to be part of that plan to complete the jigsaw if that’s the road they want to go down 

Is Gary Caldwell that man , I’m not so sure 

Major question to be asked but a lot of folk are unable to qualify our results. The board included...

9 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Can't disagree with anything here, He is not a guy you warm to, and I think if he was offered a half decent slot in a English Championship team he would be off in a flash …. but given all of that, you can't disagree the results since Xmas have shown marked improvement.

For the team to finish the season with an excellent away performance and a clean sheet will help with season ticket sales. For the 2018 / 2019 season, that is one to draw a line under and move on to hopefully  better days at Firhill.

Spare a thought for Falkirk, relegated to the seaside league, academy wound up … where do they go from I wonder?  To be honest there were games when I had dark feelings that their fate could have been ours. 

Onwards and upwards!!

If GC attracts attention from the EFL Championship I will be happy as Larry lol

36 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would have probably left the topic to another day and let us enjoy the fact we are safe which at various points has not looked certain while also additionally enjoying a decent away result something we have not a lot to celebrate much about last couple of seasons 

Agree with this. Today is a day to enjoy the sense of relief. Next week is when the assessment should be made and the hard choices begin.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

There are 11 players signed for next season but Bell is one of those so in reality 10.

There is no doubt in my mind he will be our manager next season. Up to Christmas I wanted him out because of the bull he came out with and more importantly an average of 1/2 point per game. Since January we have averaged 1.65 points per game so a big improvement, we still get the bull but if he puts a winning team on the park I can put up with that. I think I have read he is on a 2 year rolling contract, so see how the next 6months or so pan out.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

How do you know Archie didn’t have money last summer and didn’t just waste it on persuading duds like Brice to relocating him and his family to the UK. Don’t think bell would have been cheap for one.

his budget in January would have been affected by surely by money being paid off to Archie and Paterson 

where he was maybe more successful was in somehow persuading St Johnstone to take a couple of higher earners eg bell and keown which possibly freed up some more wages 

I didn’t say Archie didn’t have money. I said Caldwell was given more money.

That is a fact. The Chairman specifically said so when she hired him.

3 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I didn’t say Archie didn’t have money. I said Caldwell was given more money.

That is a fact. The Chairman specifically said so when she hired him.

I heard her say the new manager would be given money, I didn’t hear her say it would be more than the previous manager