Caldwell Like or Loathe

Pinhead

7 minutes ago, CillitB4ng said:

I might be wrong but I'm sure he had accepted that Archie's time was up at some point. Maybe he didnt but it doesn't really matter.

We are where we are and Caldwell wont get sacked and I dont think he should be. He made a terrible start that he needs to take some of the blame for no matter how bad the squad was. Since January results have improved and most other years the form we've shown would have had us out the relegation fight weeks ago. 

Regards Sandy. He and I had plenty of disagreements over Archie last season and through the summer but I agree with you that he had accepted that his time was up.

Until Caldwell starts winning the fans over then he’s on a hiding to nothing, results obviously are important but his arrogance puts people of, If your going to be that arrogant then you need to be world class, otherwise there will be no slack given from the punters.

Archie.s remit was promotion he was leading us towards relegation and he was fired 

Caldwell’s remit was promotion he avoided relegation by 1 game, yet he’s a hero.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

What a strange season.

If we don't get a clean sweep of wins over ***** Arbroath next season then Caldwell should be hing from one the floodlights at Firhill. 

Maybe when they're stringing him up they could replace the duff bulbs when they're at it!

8 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Are you kidding? The whole team stank of relegation to the seaside league from kick off on day 1

Are you? If the whole team stank of relegation when Archie was here why were we not in the relegation zone? To some facts don't matter - not sure why I bother! lol 

Some on here seem to have an agenda against Archie or Caldwell. Both have played a part in our failure this season. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I am mentally exhausted by this season. We got to safety, but God, it was torturist.  My view on Caldwell is well documented and I stick by my opinion that I dont think he can take us into the Premiership. But I accept that he will be here next season. The bigger problem is our board. Jacqui Low has been dreadful. Gerry Britton seems out of his depth. It comes across as a amateur outfit running a great club badly. Maybe Partick Thistle FC are to big for them to handle. Onwards too a hopefully busy close season and a good rebuilding for next season.

ETA. Agree with Caldwell when he said that our points total is large for a survival amount. Mental.

I actually agree with that !

47 minutes ago, CillitB4ng said:

I might be wrong but I'm sure he had accepted that Archie's time was up at some point. Maybe he didnt but it doesn't really matter.

Yes I did, Archie was exhausted by the effort of keeping us in the top flight. 

16 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

He wasn’t recruited to start his job in January.

He was given lots of money in January to bring in his own players. How much and is that sustainable? This wasn’t money Archie had in July-August.

I’m happy to write this season off and focus on next, but for the love of God, people need to stop rewriting history. Caldwell marginally improved results with more money and he fell well short of the objective for which he was explicitly recruited.

Couldn't agree more. Good summation Woodstock. Ran outta likes

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Until Caldwell starts winning the fans over then he’s on a hiding to nothing, results obviously are important but his arrogance puts people of, If your going to be that arrogant then you need to be world class, otherwise there will be no slack given from the punters.

Archie.s remit was promotion he was leading us towards relegation and he was fired 

Caldwell’s remit was promotion he avoided relegation by 1 game, yet he’s a hero.

Have you read this thread? He's absolutely not a hero. At best there's a grudging acceptance that he's done okay with the hand he was dealt. That's how I see it. Others want him sacked.

What's the point in arguing against a view that nobody is expressing?

• Like 1

Like many on here I cannnot decide how to judge Caldwell.  His performance since January has seen a marked improvement, but his decision making is definitely suspect.  However given his bullish job interview, his claim to have analysed the squad and his acceptance of the promotion target,he has failed; given our playing budget compared to those finishing above us, that is a serious failing.

The important point has been made that the longer a team stays in the Championship, the more dificult it becomes to gain promotion.  The question the Board have to ask themselves right now is whether Caldwell is the best man to make use of our best chance of promotion.  Given that there will be a lot of managers available at the end of the season, I think the Board should be keeping their eyes open for someone better than Caldwell in the next couple of months.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

I’m a bit baffled about the Caldwell arrogance stuff.....where does that come from?

29 minutes ago, allyo said:

Have you read this thread? He's absolutely not a hero. At best there's a grudging acceptance that he's done okay with the hand he was dealt. That's how I see it. Others want him sacked.

What's the point in arguing against a view that nobody is expressing?

Time for a straw poll. There is a tiny tiny minority of people who want him sacked. I had many a debate with my mates about this ( average years supporting thistle between 20 and 40 years ) and the consensus was he deserves more time if he stabilised the ship. He did. Clearly. I seem to remember someone on here tried to organise a Caldwell out protest when we lost about 5 or 6 in a row. No one was interested. No one is interested now apart from a bitter few. Suck it up and move on.

28 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I’m a bit baffled about the Caldwell arrogance stuff.....where does that come from?

I think a few posters believe that Caldwell is a terrible manager. No matter what he does it's wrong and in their minds him not admitting it (and proving them correct) is just arrogance in their view.  Also a few on here seem to have been at his interview and think he came across as arrogant then too.

Edited by scotty
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

What a strange season.

If we don't get a clean sweep of wins over ***** Arbroath next season then Caldwell should be hing from one the floodlights at Firhill. 

Only if there are any floodlights left working!

2 minutes ago, scotty said:

I think a few posters believe that Caldwell is a terrible manager. No matter what he does it's wrong and in their minds him not admitting it (and proving them correct) is just arrogance in their view.  Also a few on here seem to have been at his interview and think he came across as arrogant then too.

This. Let's be honest none of us likes been proven wrong. As i said before those without humility are guilty of arrogance. But when your arrogant you can't see it. I can't even say you know who you are because....arrogance blinds common sense.

Many of the things Caldwell has been heavily criticised for, letting Erskine leave, seeking player views on team selection, taking the team on a foreign trip, have actually worked out okay. Others will say that he deserves no credit for this, that one doesn't lead to the other, which is fair enough, but in retrospect I don't think the level of vitriol aimed at him for some of these things was justified.

Regading his more controversial statements, for which he was ridiculed, the questionable decription of our magnificent performance against Inverness coincided with the end of a seven game losing run, so maybe the psychology worked out not too bad. Our league position after the recent game against Ross County was indeed, ultimately irrelevant, and our progress under him when plotted would closely in fact resemble that of a turning tanker.

One more thing. No one should have their job application and interview publicised. It's just an invitation to ridicule, demonstrated by the fact that I've only previously seen this done on the BBC Apprentice purely for that purpose. That was unprofessional by the board and undermined his position, and I hope they have learned from this.

Edited by allyo

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

It is hard to argue that there hasn’t been an improvement since January - having 3rd best form in the league since then.

One of our downfalls of the previous 2 seasons was our inability to win away from home. In our last 4 away games this season, we didn’t concede a goal, winning 3 and drawing at Ross County.

As I have said previously, if we hadn’t been so poor last week, I think we would all be feeling much more confident about next season. There is just a nagging doubt about our consistency.

42 minutes ago, allyo said:

One more thing. No one should have their job application and interview publicised. It's just an invitation to ridicule, demonstrated by the fact that I've only previously seen this done on the BBC Apprentice purely for that purpose. That was unprofessional by the board and undermined his position, and I hope they have learned from this.

Absolutely spot on. If Jacqui Low hadn't made the remarks she did, the perception of the incoming manager would have been completely different. It was unprofessional and shouldn't have happened. 

Not been a GC fan since the off but I think he deserve a chance next season. 

The form since Christmas has been decent (odd blip aside) we stayed in the league and to be honest at Christmas that was looking unlikely and very unlikely last month. 

We wont have big bucks to spend but we wont be the smallest budget either. Realistically play offs for me next season.

3 minutes ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

Not been a GC fan since the off but I think he deserve a chance next season. 

The form since Christmas has been decent (odd blip aside) we stayed in the league and to be honest at Christmas that was looking unlikely and very unlikely last month. 

We wont have big bucks to spend but we wont be the smallest budget either. Realistically play offs for me next season.

Who knows. Right now I want st mirren down. They along with Dundee are in freefall. Much like us last year. Hate to say it but Dundee United up probably improves our chances. So who will be challenging next year? Ayr likely to be weakened as Shankland and a few others away. Inverness probably a strong contender. Morton and Dunfermline. Doubt it. QOS if they survive? Dobbie one year older. Don't see it. Alloa? No chance barring a miracle. In my opinion a great chance next year.