Doolan

javeajag

38 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Didnt say that 1971. Do pay attention. And stop making stuff up.

For the hard of understanding, including you 1971, I said he'd lost his passion if he didn't understand why people are raging.

Now, the adults are having a discussion, stop interrupting.

There is passion and there is being crass. I'm not raging. That is for the angry brigade. I prefer to wait and see what happens next. Maybe you can go and stand outside firhill with a banner....father Ted style " down with this sort of thing" 

12 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Some Jags fans seriously need to calm down and look at the decision rationally. 

The guy was going to turn 34 this season, and clearly wasn't going to be getting regular first team football. I'd be pretty shocked if he wasn't offered a new deal, but Doolan not being content to warm the bench, and being all too aware that he only has one or two years left decided to seek first team football elsewhere. I don't see how that is Caldwell's fault. Doolan is a Jags legend, and always will be. But he is not a medium or long term solution to the current problems, and a fresh start is what is needed. I think this season showed that, despite dropping a division, Doolan's sharpness had declined slightly, and McDonald proved to be a far better option. That coupled with Doolan's high wages would not have made it a prudent move to keep him as second or third fiddle next season, when he could have been off getting first team football. 

I hope that for his sake that Ayr United fail to get promotion, and he can join back up with Ian McCall next season who will be looking for at least two new strikers. That would seem a fitting and almost poetic conclusion to one of the greatest players to grace the Firhill turf. 

But from the fans point of view, all this "f..k Caldwell" "I'm not renewing my season ticket..." blah blah blah nonsense has to stop. As I said, for all we know, Doolan was offered a new deal and maybe even an Academy coaching role, but wanted to seek first team games before the end of his career (Mark Roberts anyone?). 

The last two years collectively have been an absolute nightmare. So sentimentality needs to be discarded, and a fresh start needed. I'm really saddened to hear Doolan is gone, but since he, McDonald, and Storey have also left, we will be rebuilding a brand new attacking line next year. And who knows, maybe Caldwell will pull a masterstroke and unearth another gem who in a decades time we will be having the exact same conversation about as we are now. 

So pull it together. Doolan will get a fitting testimonial, and has been enshrined as a Thistle legend for as long as the club will exist. But football isn't stagnant, and change is needed. 

There has been nothing on any level suggested he was offered a new contract and given his status Im pretty sure the Club would have said this - however various people stating new contract offered - if one was then the Club should clarify the position 

Thursday 9th May, 2019 at 11:43am

Partick Thistle can today confirm that Kris Doolan has left the Club at the end of his contract.

Since first joining from Junior side, Auchinleck Talbot, in 2009, Dools has made 401 appearances for Thistle scoring more than 120 goals in the process. A Partick Thistle Hall of Fame inductee, Kris will end his time as a Jag fourth in the all-time scoring list.

Paying tribute to the Thistle number nine, Chairman, Jacqui Low said:

“Kris is, and always will be, a legend at Partick Thistle Football Club. Legend is an overused word but he has earned that title. The service he has given to the Club both on and off the pitch is almost unmatched.

“From his debut in red and yellow through to his first steps into coaching, Kris deserves an inordinate amount of credit and his efforts will not be forgotten.

“On behalf of everyone at Partick Thistle, I would like to put on record my sincere thanks to him for his service as a player. But I’d personally also like to thank him as a person for all he did for the Club off the pitch. Kris will always be welcome here and we wish him all the very best for the future.”

Jags manager, Gary Caldwell, said:

“From the first day I came into the football club, Kris has been a consummate professional and I can’t fault him. The contribution he has made to Partick Thistle will likely never again be matched and his achievements speak for themselves. He has scored some vital goals this season and he leaves with the best wishes of me and everyone at the football club.”

Nice words from the chairman and manager. Good luck Kris. 

I, like many, am not completely convinced by Gary Caldwell.

I, like many, would have kept Doolan, as I think he could still be asset this season.

I, like everyone, feel privileged to have seen a true legend in my time supporting the club.

However, while Caldwell is manager, he has to be entrusted with these decisions. He has a finite and limited budget and has to make his own decisions as to how this budget is best spent. He will be judged on the outcome of these decisions. It would be unfair if he was obligated (or felt obligated) to offer any player a contract if he thinks that money could be better spent elsewhere, either purely for sentimental reasons or if others think he is wrong.

Caldwell is stamping his mark on the team, as is his prerogative. Next season, it will be undoubtedly his team on the park. This will be the true indicator of his managerial ability.  He alone will take the plaudits or flak due, depending on how it goes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I, like many, would have kept Doolan, as I think he could still be asset this season.

I, like everyone, feel privileged to have seen a true legend in my time supporting the club.

However, while Caldwell is manager, he has to be entrusted with these decisions. He has a finite and limited budget and has to make his own decisions as to how this budget is best spent. He will be judged on the outcome of these decisions. It would be unfair if he was obligated (or felt obligated) to offer any player a contract if he thinks that money could be better spent elsewhere, either purely for sentimental reasons or if others think he is wrong.

Caldwell is stamping his mark on the team, as is his prerogative. Next season, it will be undoubtedly his team on the park. This will be the true indicator of his managerial ability.  He alone will take the plaudits or flak due, depending on how it goes.

Bit in bold is certainly true.

By my reckoning of those contracted for next season we only Harkins and Bell are over 30 years old and I would think Bell might be going. Also of those contracted for next season only Bannigan has been with the first team for more than 2 seasons.

When Caldwell is inevitably sacked by us in February as we languish in 7th place, I’m looking forward to him being a guest on BBC Scotland and talking about how he had to change the culture of Thistle, stamp his authority, make difficult decisions, etc etc.

In reality, all that getting rid of a guy like Doolan - especially in the way it’s been done - achieves is to make yourself look like a manager overwhelmed with arrogance, and to turn a large portion of the fan base (a decent proportion of whom are already unconvinced) against you. And for this to happen just before season tickets go on sale? What a joke. 

It’s good that we have a PR guru in charge of the club though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Fair points but it should be accepted that the manager's decisions are short term decisions. We're not just losing Doolan the aging player. We're losing a genuine professional and one of the best ambassadors and role models the Club has ever had. I doubt the long term interests of the Club are being well served here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That 1 jags fan said:

6 league goals including being a penalty if Dools wasn’t a legend no one would keep him. He’s 33 and probably one of the highest earners it’s time to move on.

And if your auntie had baws, etc. He IS a legend, and as stated in a post above is one of the greatest ambassadors we have had in decades. If you can’t find a squad place for a guy like him then we might as well pack up and go home. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

5 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

And if your auntie had baws, etc. He IS a legend, and as stated in a post above is one of the greatest ambassadors we have had in decades. If you can’t find a squad place for a guy like him then we might as well pack up and go home. 

Really ? A legend still has to be decent in the park from time to time 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

There is passion and there is being crass. I'm not raging. That is for the angry brigade. I prefer to wait and see what happens next. Maybe you can go and stand outside firhill with a banner....father Ted style " down with this sort of thing" 

Now that would be terribly west end

4 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I think he should have been given a 1 year deal and be part of the choaching staff but maybe he wanted to play regularly and we couldn’t offer it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Really ? A legend still has to be decent in the park from time to time 

In a crap season he’s still managed some important goals. He still has plenty to offer on the park, as I’m sure we will find out next year. 

41 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Excellent measured post. Only problem is, I don't trust Caldwell to put the cat out at night never mind be in charge of my/our club. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

Gutted with this and absolutely raging how the club have handled this to a player who’s a legend in his testimonial year.

He wasn’t offered a contract.

The club tweeted it before he could say goodbye to players staff, or tell his wife or agent.

Caldwell never came out his office to wish him well.

If this is our new club, they can stick it.

From the handling of Archie’s dismissal, stating Erskine was part of plans then bumping him, broken promises and misinformation on training ground to this. The board and manager has no feel for the fans

• Like 3

First things first - thanks Kris for everything you did on and off the pitch over the last 10 years!

I can understand all the different emotions and reactions on here since the news came out but as has been said by others the manager must be allowed to make his own decisions. At the moment we don't know who will be signed and what the team will look like next season and it will only be then we will know if it was a good decision or not. The unpleasant truth is that we (football fans in general) are a fickle bunch and if come the end of 2019 we are scoring goals and challenging for promotion nobody will be saying anything about this but the reverse is also true.

I argued Archie's case when others were calling for his head only to be told being a legend and having done well in the past was one thing but there was no place in football for sentiment and no one man was bigger than the club. This would have been a tough decision but they do need to be made and I am sure we all hope that Partick Thistle will perform better next season than we have done in the last two.

• Like 2