Doolan

javeajag

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

I’m neutral about Caldwell 

we will see where we are at the first quarter of next season 

The thing is - if we are out the top four after the first Quarter next Season - pressure will mount on GC - but as the Fans choice as a Temp replacement isnt there any longer well he gets to the end of the Season ? Im pretty sure Doolan wouldn't have been hard to deal with with a combined Coaching Role finance Wise - plus he is a handy man to have on the bench ? 

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The thing is - if we are out the top four after the first Quarter next Season - pressure will mount on GC - but as the Fans choice as a Temp replacement isnt there any longer well he gets to the end of the Season ? Im pretty sure Doolan wouldn't have been hard to deal with with a combined Coaching Role finance Wise - plus he is a handy man to have on the bench ? 

What’d the basis for thinking Doolan is a manager or coach ?

Edited by javeajag

4 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Gutted with this and absolutely raging how the club have handled this to a player who’s a legend in his testimonial year.

He wasn’t offered a contract.

The club tweeted it before he could say goodbye to players staff, or tell his wife or agent.

Caldwell never came out his office to wish him well.

If this is our new club, they can stick it.

From the handling of Archie’s dismissal, stating Erskine was part of plans then bumping him, broken promises and misinformation on training ground to this. The board and manager has no feel for the fans

Absolutely and 100% this ^

We have a club leadership that seems utterly and totally clueless, who are reliant upon the goodwill of one very rich man to ensure we have a budget, and who have shown nothing to suggest they have the know-how or feel for the club that will take us forward. 

It’s a shite state of affairs. 

1 minute ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Absolutely and 100% this ^

We have a club leadership that seems utterly and totally clueless, who are reliant upon the goodwill of one very rich man to ensure we have a budget, and who have shown nothing to suggest they have the know-how or feel for the club that will take us forward. 

It’s a shite state of affairs. 

X2 

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

That’s a surprise 

I thought he would be away. We can't carry too many players who are injury prone plus Andy never struck me as a player who could either dominate a midfield if he was playing the "tough guy" role or make defence splitting passes. Maybe playing regularly at a lower level for a season or two will bring out the best in him.

4 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

The failure to so much as give him a cameo at Palmerston shows that Caldwell has zero class.

Even if you leave aside the merits or complications of whether he should have been offered an extension to his contract (and you better believe he should) you've got to treat the good guys right.

In the long run, that matters far far far more than whether you won 3-0 or 3-1 on a random afternoon in May.

You are making the assumption that Doolan leaving was known prior to Saturday by the club.

Saturday was such an important game for us that any further distraction(envelopegate aside) might have tipped the balance in QOS favour.

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Im not saying he is or isnt - but there would be mounting pressure if we are failing first Quarter next Season to give him a chance at it - that threat along with Erskine has now gone ? 

The cynic in me suggests you might be onto something

4 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Im not saying he is or isnt - but there would be mounting pressure if we are failing first Quarter next Season to give him a chance at it - that threat along with Erskine has now gone ? 

I’m relaxed about that , not an issue for me 

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

You are making the assumption that Doolan leaving was known prior to Saturday by the club.

Saturday was such an important game for us that any further distraction(envelopegate aside) might have tipped the balance in QOS favour.

They never offered him a deal, the club knew fine well 

4 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I thought he would be away. We can't carry too many players who are injury prone plus Andy never struck me as a player who could either dominate a midfield if he was playing the "tough guy" role or make defence splitting passes. Maybe playing regularly at a lower level for a season or two will bring out the best in him.

You could be right 

Just now, Norgethistle said:

They never offered him a deal, the club knew fine well 

The object on Saturday was to win and that was achieved.....some people think a farewell cameo is the right thing to do I’m happy to leave that up to the manager on the day

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Disgraceful decision, under Caldwell’s tenure so far , appraising the season as a whole it has been absolutely shocking, only cementing our place in the league on the very last game . It was that bad , we gave one of our player of the year awards to Scott Macdonald who had only played 1O games for us .

Caldwell has ripped the total fabric out of our Club , letting players like Erskine and Doolan go who the supporters identified with through good times and bad .

If Gary Caldwell can’t see the quality in a player like Doolan we’re in big trouble, even for a senior player to show an example to a young player coming up in the game what can be achieved through hard work and dedication, surely even that should have been a consideration.

Done the sponsorship thing  for the last 15 years through my company, that’s now going to stop , shocking way to treat a player who is in his testimonial year and our highest ever scorer in the league .

Dools thanks for the memories .

Players come and go. How long are we supposed to keep long serving players for.  Erskine wasn’t great this season or last. Doolan was a shadow of his former self this season. We still get the chance to give him a good send off in his testimonial game.

The statements from Jacqui Low and Caldwell are very complimentary towards Kris.

I don’t really think there is a story to be made out of this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Absolutely gutted. Surely his testimonial game in September will still go ahead?

I'm not really sure they considered that when letting him go. It has the potential to be embarrassing for all concerned. I'm struggling to think of another club that has done something similar.

5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Players come and go. How long are we supposed to keep long serving players for.  Erskine wasn’t great this season or last. Doolan was a shadow of his former self this season. We still get the chance to give him a good send off in his testimonial game.

The statements from Jacqui Low and Caldwell are very complimentary towards Kris.

I don’t really think there is a story to be made out of this.

I look forward to the Evening Times Story where we are told "Doolan was like a Brother to me "   the Statement was prepared well in advance 

1 minute ago, laukat said:

I'm not really sure they considered that when letting him go. It has the potential to be embarrassing for all concerned. I'm struggling to think of another club that has done something similar.

They were quick enough to get an earner in his Hall of Fame Night where the proceeds went to the Club 

1 hour ago, KemoAvdiu said:

When Caldwell is inevitably sacked by us in February as we languish in 7th place, I’m looking forward to him being a guest on BBC Scotland and talking about how he had to change the culture of Thistle, stamp his authority, make difficult decisions, etc etc.

In reality, all that getting rid of a guy like Doolan - especially in the way it’s been done - achieves is to make yourself look like a manager overwhelmed with arrogance, and to turn a large portion of the fan base (a decent proportion of whom are already unconvinced) against you. And for this to happen just before season tickets go on sale? What a joke. 

It’s good that we have a PR guru in charge of the club though.

What large portion of the fans? What size would you say.? 

19 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The object on Saturday was to win and that was achieved.....some people think a farewell cameo is the right thing to do I’m happy to leave that up to the manager on the day

Like Jimmy Bone & Kenny Arthur ? 

If we are 3-0 up - then its the decent thing to do and a decent Manager would do it 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Fair points but it should be accepted that the manager's decisions are short term decisions. We're not just losing Doolan the aging player. We're losing a genuine professional and one of the best ambassadors and role models the Club has ever had. I doubt the long term interests of the Club are being well served here. 

Completely agree. You say "We're losing a genuine professional and one of the best ambassadors and role models the Club has ever had."

And we are that daft?  If it is his decision, because he wants  to keep playing then fair enough. But if PTFC was unable to find him a place on their coaching staff, then there is "something rotten in the State of Denmark.!"

Just now, javeajag said:

Not my point 

Java as per norm, the club the board and the manager can do no wrong in your eyes.

He had a relegation release clause which he never triggered as he wanted to play for the club all whilst taking a large pay cut, and the manager and ultimately the club treats him like this. 

His 6 goals this season may not have been great, but he started the season playing with an injury, and when you look to his goals per minutes ratio on 24 starts and 6 sub appearances it’s not that bad

• Like 2