A New Direction?

QXBoy

48 minutes ago, robphil said:

The quotation marks would suggest the words came out of caldwell's mouth. yes, reporters have been known to adjust the facts for all manner of reasons but tampering with direct quotes is a dangerous tactic

Haven't seen these interviews in print so have to ask, whose quotation marks are they? The writer's or yours?

Can I also ask that someone post a  link to where Caldwell said he was trying to sign Miller and/or Boyd. I can't find it.

Edited by scotty

21 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I’ll translate ....I don’t know so let me make this up

Ok , it’s a forum , it’s my opinion , do you really believe a Board would say Hey Gary why don’t we try and sign players over 35 years of age , I’m sure they were good players in their day , we’ll maybe get a year out of them , might cost us a few bob but it doesn’t matter .

What’s your opinion?

I just read the latest gc evening times article. He makes a bit more sense there. I still think he got this one wrong. He’s basically saying dools best days are behind him, no room for sentiment, team is used to losing, and he needs to build a winning team.

Fair dos - I just think dools loyalty deserves loyalty back. I’m also not convinced that he won’t score 20+ goals in the premiership or championship next year.

time will tell on this one but...the culture of the club could have been enhanced around kris. That piece is really not factored into the decision making. All the stuff he did at fans events, coaching and even donating the ghost goal bonus to the beatson. 

Ouch - I’m getting angry again.

For anyone who hasn't seen them:

Gary Caldwell says he is at Partick Thistle to bring success, not be popular, as he explains Kris Doolan decision

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17633202.gary-caldwell-says-he-is-at-partick-thistle-to-be-successful-not-popular-as-he-explains-kris-doolan-decision/?ref=twtrec

Seems to be the same article on the Evening Times website if you can't get past the Herald's paywall:

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17633201.gary-caldwell-says-he-is-at-partick-thistle-to-be-successful-not-popular-as-he-explains-kris-doolan-decision/

“We have to live in the here and now and we have to try to build a team for the future that is capable of competing at the opposite end of the league than what we have been."

The next article:

Gary Caldwell: 'No brainer' for Partick Thistle to sign Kris Boyd or Kenny Miller

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17632265.gary-caldwell-no-brainer-for-partick-thistle-to-sign-kris-boyd-or-kenny-miller/?ref=ar

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17632265.gary-caldwell-no-brainer-for-partick-thistle-to-sign-kris-boyd-or-kenny-miller/

So our our "team for the future" might well include ex-Rangers mercenaries stopping by Firhill to pick up one last paycheque before they retire.

He said " signing players of the pedigree of" which can only be a good thing. Players that have played at highest level.

PARTICK Thistle manager Gary Caldwell admits that players of the pedigree of Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller 'will always be welcome at Partick Thistle', providing they still have the hunger to score goals and bring success to the club.

Such players would not sign for Thistle for a payday, far from it. They could sign elsewhere for alot more money.

Edited by marco77

4 hours ago, robphil said:

The quotation marks would suggest the words came out of caldwell's mouth. yes, reporters have been known to adjust the facts for all manner of reasons but tampering with direct quotes is a dangerous tactic

Yip, a dangerous tactic!

4 minutes ago, marco77 said:

He said " signing players of the pedigree of" which can only be a good thing. Players that have played at highest level.

If only there was a striker we could get in who had played at the highest level in Scotland and scored double figures in five consecutive Scottish Premiership seasons.

Unlikely, I know. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

If only there was a striker we could get in who had played at the highest level in Scotland and scored double figures in five consecutive Scottish Premiership seasons.

Unlikely, I know. 

I'm gutted that Doolan has left, but Caldwell is building a team for the way he wants to play and unfortunately that didn't include Doolan. Caldwell will live and die by such decisions. 

17 minutes ago, marco77 said:

I'm gutted that Doolan has left, but Caldwell is building a team for the way he wants to play and unfortunately that didn't include Doolan. Caldwell will live and die by such decisions. 

That Doctor Required In Inflator Room will die by his decisions provides me absolutely no comfort about the state it will leave our club in.

5 hours ago, robphil said:

in one interview Caldwell says signing Boyd and Miller would be a 'no brainer''; in his next foray into print he claims kris Doolan was ushered out because he wants to 'build a team for the future'.  one of those statements is surely erroneous

They're not mutually exclusive. I'd say the team that McNamara built fitted that profile, but he signed Hugh Murray

11 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

You hire a manager you need to give him full control who he brings in and releases. 

Apologies for the selective quoting but using the word "hire" kinda comes over as a typed version of a Freudian slip.  The other word tho' I disagree with is "full". No way do you give any manager full control. There has to be parameters within his remit and I'm not simply meaning budget restraint. Those parameters should of course have been laid out clearly when the manager was first appointed. It shouldn't be a case of say anything to get the job then once in do something else. I'm partly talking hypothetically and not for a moment saying Caldwell shouldn't be allowed to release Kris Doolan. I'm not saying it happened this way so again hypothetical but dismissing Doolan from his role as a youth coach at Firhill should be outside of Caldwell's remit.

The way I say it is. A player who earned the respect of Thistle fans and I believe his fellow players because of his goal scoring, his professionalism both on and off the park has been treated shabbily by the club the way he was released.The manager who probably made the decision  to release him has not done a lot for Thistle so far, but since he is the manager of the team I have supported for over 55years I want him to succeed. Only time will tell. I would also add I feel Dools still had a lot to offer Thistle both on and off the park.

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Apologies for the selective quoting but using the word "hire" kinda comes over as a typed version of a Freudian slip.  The other word tho' I disagree with is "full". No way do you give any manager full control. There has to be parameters within his remit and I'm not simply meaning budget restraint. Those parameters should of course have been laid out clearly when the manager was first appointed. It shouldn't be a case of say anything to get the job then once in do something else. I'm partly talking hypothetically and not for a moment saying Caldwell shouldn't be allowed to release Kris Doolan. I'm not saying it happened this way so again hypothetical but dismissing Doolan from his role as a youth coach at Firhill should be outside of Caldwell's remit.

You're right, no board gives full control over to any manager.  

Would you want a potentially disgruntled employee working for you as youth coach? Also if he goes to another Championship team there is conflict of interest issues. 

Think it could be best for Doolan to go to be honest. Think he has gone stale here and a fresh challenge could bring out the best in him. 

Would be great to see him back in the future is a coaching capacity though. 

19 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Hugh Murray was 33 when McNamara signed him.

Older than Doolan is now. A lot younger than Millar and a fair bit younger than Boyd.

The specific number isn't important. The point is that he wasn't brought in as a long term player, but he was brought in as part of a long term strategy to build a young team, presumably on the basis that his presence could support the others.

Now I know that this could be made as a case to retain Doolan, but I'm not arguing against that. All I'm saying is that bringing in experienced players and building a young team are not mutually exclusive.

1 minute ago, Alan Murray said:

You're right, no board gives full control over to any manager.  

Would you want a potentially disgruntled employee working for you as youth coach? Also if he goes to another Championship team there is conflict of interest issues. 

Think it could be best for Doolan to go to be honest. Think he has gone stale here and a fresh challenge could bring out the best in him. 

Would be great to see him back in the future is a coaching capacity though. 

Correct. I was merely pointing out a specific and an area that Caldwell should have no control over. The very area where I feel Doolan may have been let down by the Club. I'd be very surprised if he isn't already a good youth coach and even more surprised if he isn't already viewed as potentially an excellent youth coach. I suppose this is where it gets a bit murky tho' on face value it looks like Doolan was effectively sacked from a coaching role. A dismissal that I suspect was totally undeserved.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

dismissing Doolan from his role as a youth coach at Firhill should be outside of Caldwell's remit.

Not only that, they would need a legitimate reason to terminate any contract. Even a criminal layer wouldn’t risk an employment tribunal surely?

2 hours ago, allyo said:

The specific number isn't important. The point is that he wasn't brought in as a long term player, but he was brought in as part of a long term strategy to build a young team, presumably on the basis that his presence could support the others.

Now I know that this could be made as a case to retain Doolan, but I'm not arguing against that. All I'm saying is that bringing in experienced players and building a young team are not mutually exclusive.

I agree, but it makes the rationale for releasing Doolan even more perplexing.

12 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I agree, but it makes the rationale for releasing Doolan even more perplexing.

No argument with that.

I suppose, for the sake of debate, you'd have to say that Boyd and Miller (like Scott McDonald) have had far more successful careers than Kris Doolan. Maybe Caldwell sees their like as bringing a mentality that he wants to instil.